PDA

View Full Version : Hearing OM upon meditation

Puloma
22 June 2015, 08:44 PM
Namaste,

I have been practicing meditation with OM for some time. I close my eyes, watch my thoughts till they more or less subside, and when I am quieter inside, I mentally repeat the mantra OM. For some days now, I hear the OM sound as if coming from a distance, like somebody doing a low pitched chanting or a vibration. It is there during the time I am meditating, and it's not the same sound that I am mentally repeating. I can hear it through the day too, sometimes louder, sometimes fainter, as Ooooo or Mmmmm or OmOmOm.... or overlapping Om's or as unclear gurgling of mantras. The sound is loud enough to be distracting sometimes, and it seems to come for a distance. The first day I thought a puja was going on in another house, until I realised it had something to do with me.

I wanted to know, is this natural? Can this happen after some time of meditation? Does it mean anything in particular or is it an effect to be ignored? I also read about something called tinnitus on Wikipedia. Here's the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus
If this has nothing to do with meditation, it could be tinnitus and I will need to visit the doctor. If somebody here has any idea about this, please do share with me.

Pranam.

smaranam
04 July 2015, 03:56 PM
Namaste Puloma

For a scriptural reference, read the NAda - bindu Upanishad. There is a thread buried deep in this very section about people's experiences and the nada bindu Up :

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?4327-Humming-sound-in-the-ear&highlight=humming+sound+in+the+ear

Puloma
07 July 2015, 07:13 AM
Namaste Smaranam,

I have been going through a few pages of the old thread and it is certainly very informative! Somebody mentioned they could sometimes hear what sounded like people reciting the Vedas. I could hear something like that too, a few times- a sound like people reciting mantras as in a puja, as if coming from a distance. I will look up the NAda - bindu Upanishad next. Thank you so much!

Soul of Light
13 July 2015, 04:09 AM
Namaskar Smaranam ji,
Thank you for posting this old thread.. I read only few first posts on first page due to lack of time.. I hear this sounds many times with eyes closed or open.. This humming sound, roaring of sea and damaru sound.. I tend to ignore it but then I know about it due to anandini ji and then by ur post.. So thanx for posting
Pranam