PDA

View Full Version : Why we chant OM ?

Suhita
16 July 2015, 12:44 AM
Most mantras and Vedic prayers start with OM. What exactly does it symbolize?

knowThyEnemy
16 July 2015, 01:36 PM
Namaste Suhita,

OM is the underlying sound (frequency) that pervades the entire manifest universe and everything in it. We sense the material world because of our senses (e.g. eyesight, touch etc.), but OM is that which exists regardless of our senses.

The reason why we chant OM is to become in tune with this sound. If we pray or chant mantras after saying "OM", the prayers/ mantras have a stronger effect.

The reason why we start important tasks by worshiping Sri Ganesh is for the same reason. (We do this even when we worship other Gods.) Sri Ganesh is personification of OM itself. Google pictures of Sri Ganesh and notice how similar his form is to the Sanskrit syllable ॐ .

The reason why we ring a bell before we enter a temple is for the same reason. The bell gives out a sound that is very similar to the OM sound and brings the worshiper (and his/her surroundings) in tune with the frequency of God.

During meditation, when people become good at concentration, it is OM that they fully become in tune with. The chakras begin to open up only afterwards.

I hope this brief explanation helped.

Pranaam.

Believer
16 July 2015, 11:28 PM
Namaste,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Om

Pranam.

devotee
17 July 2015, 12:56 AM
Namaste Suhita,

OM is Brahman. OM is everything which was, is and will be at all the times. What we see, hear and perceive by our sense organs and mind is not the Reality. The One Reality behind all this prapancha is OM which is the substratum of all.

OM is not a word of any language. This sound is heard in meditation when AnAhat chakra of a Yogi is activated. You may be well aware that depending upon our spiritual level, our Chakras in spinal chord are activated. Till a practitioner is at the lowest three chakras i.e. Mooladhar, Swadhishthan or Manipur, he hears the Sound of the Universe i.e. OM in different ways. Only when he rises to the Heart Chakra or AnAhat Chakra, he hears the clear OM sound. OM is the sole Reality which we all seek in different forms and names.

That is why all our worship/Mantra start with sound OM. We even ring bell while doing Pooja which gives a sound similar to OM.

OM

Suhita
10 August 2015, 08:12 AM
Thankyou for giving more information on OM and also on how are Chakras affected by this chanting. :)
-Hari Om

Soul of Light
14 August 2015, 12:13 PM
Namaste..
Adding minor detail that Om is specifically activates ajna chakra
Pranam

ajay
25 May 2016, 07:21 AM

Namaste Suhita,

I would also like to add here that when chanting Om, the prana in the system increases and becomes complete. The increase in prana helps boost consciousness to its totality.

Hence the reason why Om is chanted before meditation as well.

Pranam.

Anirudh
07 June 2016, 04:24 PM
Slightly off the topic....

Few traditions restrict people from chanting Om. Although I don't know the reasons it's taught that men who haven't undergone upanayanam and women aren't allowed to chant Om.

If anyone has anything to say about it you are always welcome....