PDA

View Full Version : Astanga Yoga by Patanjali

getmyluck
19 October 2015, 09:07 PM
Astanga yoga of patanjali mentions DHARANA and DHYANA AS 6th and 7th step towards ultimate path of yoga. So here CHITTA and MANAS come in to picture. I get confused here. I think CHITTA and MANAS are two different entity. I can feel my mind. mind is an intangible entity present in us. It is a place where thought process begin, all the sensations are felt and analysed by mind.

Can someone explain me the difference between CHITTA and MANAS with reference to mental process so that i can understand DHARANA AND DHYANA.

yajvan
20 October 2015, 11:35 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

getmyluck wrote,

Astanga yoga of patanjali mentions DHARANA and DHYANA AS 6th and 7th step towards ultimate path of yoga.

Before attempting to address your question, it will be good to have a better undertanding of the notion of 'steps'. Within patañjali’s yogadarśana
pada ( or pāda) takes on a more robust meaning other than step. It may seem trite to deal with this, but it assists in the overall understanding of this work.

Please consider this HDF post first : http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?8520-The-8-limbs&highlight=pada see post 10, then look to post 1 in the same string.
This will provide a POV worth considering.

iti śivaṁ