PDA

View Full Version : Viraat Purusha

sm78
14 May 2007, 03:03 AM
Just my few ounce on the very first shloka of the Purusha Sukta (Rk Ved) which Jajvan Ji has commented on in the lexicon.

We understand the significance of the first line.

The 2nd Line reads as ...
"On every side pervading earth he fills a space ten fingers wide."

Some people read this as "He pervades the earth yet is separated from it (Creation/Sthula Vishwa) by a space as wide as count of 10 fingers".

Why is his gap from the Vishwa a mere 10-fingers ?? 10 is not indicative of a large number either like Sashasra...

The explanation I found was this...

The count of 10 fingers relates to the system of counting.
Those who have studied mathematics knows counting is the very foundation of mathematics. A slight extension of the counting number theory leads us to set-theory into which all of known mathematics can be formalized (a 20th century hallmark discovery in mathematical logic).

So what it says is that though the ancient purusha prevades this world he is till separated from us by a distance which cannot be resolved by mathematics ~ or all of material science ~ math being a foundation for all abstractions and theories of material science.

There can be more revealing meaning ~ but this found a home with me.

Namaste.

Agnideva
14 May 2007, 09:44 AM
Namaste Singhi,

The count of 10 fingers relates to the system of counting. Those who have studied mathematics knows counting is the very foundation of mathematics. A slight extension of the counting number theory leads us to set-theory into which all of known mathematics can be formalized (a 20th century hallmark discovery in mathematical logic).

So what it says is that though the ancient purusha prevades this world he is till separated from us by a distance which cannot be resolved by mathematics ~ or all of material science ~ math being a foundation for all abstractions and theories of material science.

There can be more revealing meaning ~ but this found a home with me.

Yes, this is an excellent analysis of the first verse of the Purusha Sukta. This first verse intrigues me as well. Here's the translation I have:

A thousand heads had Purusha, a thousand eyes, a thousand feet; He spread over the world on every side and covered ten fingers breadth beyond. (Holy Rigveda X.90.1)

The analysis that resonates with me of the meaning of "covered ten fingers breadth beyond" is that the Virat Purusha cannot be grasped: either in the sense of a physical grasping (He is beyond the senses), or in the sense of mental grasping (He cannot be understood by mental faculties).

Another more esoteric meaning of "beyond ten fingers" has to do with the chakras, as you've touched upon. It is taught that the distance between the Muladhara Chakra at the base of the spine and the Sahasrara Chakra in the crown is ten index fingers. Purusha is to be realized with the rising of the Kundalini through all the seven chakras, and beyond through the Brahma-randhra (Door of Brahman).

Yet another translation suggests that the ten fingers indicate the ten directions. The Purusha is truly is within, yet beyond space and time. He is spread in the directions ten, but is beyond all of them too!

OM Namah Shivaya.

A.

yajvan
14 May 2007, 12:53 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Just my few ounce on the very first shloka of the Purusha Sukta (Rk Ved) which Jajvan Ji has commented on in the lexicon.

We understand the significance of the first line.

The 2nd Line reads as ...
"On every side pervading earth he fills a space ten fingers wide."

Namaste sm78, AD,
let me say I am delighted that you are pursuing this. As I typed this in yesterday, I was in hopes some one would look at the 10 fingers discussion. This 10,100 and 1000 carries a significant meaning. I am sure it is math based, yet too spiritually based, it is of defining the Fullness of Brahman.

Dasamas tvam asi say the wise - we also hear tat-tvam-asi , yet this
Dasamas tvam asi refers to Purusha. Just as defining Purusa with a thousand heads, 1000 eyes, ears.

The significance is the fullness offered by the digit 0. We find saying the fulless of Brahman as 100 - 0 represents the Absolute + 0 for the relative field of life, and 1 is the wholeness ,samasta, of both together = Brahman.

Hence, sameness (sama) + wholeness (samasta) = Reality in total we can find in our SELVE's. So, as one goes to 10's, 100's, 1000's, 10,000's as expressions, they maginfiy (rejoice) in the fullness of Brahman and this Purusha.

I will find the Upanishad verse that specificially discusses the 10 fingers of Purusa and post it later, but thought to thank you both for pursing this level of knowledge.

Your knowledge is avakra chetasah, knowledge that is not crooked e.g. valuable and straight , that is you folks wrote and discussed the following - " The analysis that resonates with me of the meaning of "covered ten fingers breadth beyond" is that the Virat Purusha cannot be grasped: either in the sense of a physical grasping (He is beyond the senses)".
It is said only 1/4th of this Virat Purusa even makes-up this known Universe. This is where this '10' comes in... all aspects of prakriti
the manifest universe + the absolute (avyakta) then becomes the 10th,
Dasamas tvam asi - the 10th, Purusa, I am That.

So He is beyond our ability to totally comprehend, yet Arjuna had the great fortune to see Krsna's universal form , via Arjuna's cognition, spiritual eye ( as they say) - so what is possible and impossble to see is for the wise to help us gauge.

pranams,

sm78
14 May 2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks Yajvan ji for sharing your knowledge and insight in the forum with novices like me. The 1 + 0 making up 10, 100 etc makes huge sense even with my limited knowledge of vedantic philosophy. Looking forward to the upanishadic verses which explain this further.

Thanks for your patient help. Thanks to AD as well for the previous post.

yajvan
15 May 2007, 12:56 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Looking forward to the upanishadic verses which explain this further. Thanks for your patient help.

Namaste sm78,
thank you for nurturiung this subject. I took the liberty to start a 2nd post on this Virat Purusa part 2 and bring out additional points, so hope you are OK with this.

I wanted to insure you have the following:
The rishi Svetasvatara, from sveta = pure + asva= senses. This rishi brings us this knowledge of Purusha in the Svetasvatara Upanishad, if you wish to pursue additional reading on Purusha, 10 fingers, etc etc. It's part of the Krsna Yajurveda.

re: my patient help. It is a joy to discuss this matter.

pranams,