PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for

c.smith
14 May 2007, 07:29 PM
Still considering myself a "newcomer", I would like suggestions for mantras for japa for a beginner. Also, I have heard two versions of the Siva Gayatri - one that I chant and one that I purchased as an MP3. The MP3 starts out with "Om Tat" and some of the mantra is the same, but there are some words that are not the same,a nd it's more than just a difference in pronunciation. The one that I know is:

"Om Tat Purusaya vimahe mahadevaya dhimahi tanno rudrah prachodayat"

Would also like suggestions for a simple Siva Puja. I have the beginners Siva Puja from Shree Maa but it is a little more complicated than I'd like for use on a daily basis.

Thanks for any suggestions and clarifications.

yajvan
14 May 2007, 08:20 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Still considering myself a "newcomer", I would like suggestions for mantras for japa for a beginner. Also, I have heard two versions of the Siva Gayatri - one that I chant and one that I purchased as an MP3. The MP3 starts out with "Om Tat" and some of the mantra is the same, but there are some words that are not the same,a nd it's more than just a difference in pronunciation. The one that I know is:

Namaste c.smith -
nice to see you posting. If you are considering mantra's for mental japa, and you are relatively new to this effort, starting with such a long mantra to start is less then desirable. I am not suggesting this is not an auspicious mantra, just not entry level.

Perhaps if you wish to state some of the things you want to achieve that would be helpful. It is said well begun is half done. If you wish to use a mantra to transcend, and calm the mind, this is a good start, as one builds up gradually. Like building a house . One must put the platform in place ( the foundation).

There's lots written on this HDF on mantra's, technique, etc. yet if you can get a bija mantra imparted from one who knows the sound vibrations this is always good. If you have time take a look at: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8260&postcount=1

pranams,

saidevo
14 May 2007, 09:47 PM
Namaste Smith.

Also, I have heard two versions of the Siva Gayatri - one that I chant and one that I purchased as an MP3. The MP3 starts out with "Om Tat" and some of the mantra is the same, but there are some words that are not the same,a nd it's more than just a difference in pronunciation. The one that I know is:

Would also like suggestions for a simple Siva Puja. I have the beginners Siva Puja from Shree Maa but it is a little more complicated than I'd like for use on a daily basis.

1. In your above quote, it should be 'vidmahe'; you have dropped the 'd' perhaps in hurried typewriting. The term 'vidman' in Sanskrit means attention, knowledge, wisdom.

2. There are two forms of Shiva Gayatri mantra. The one you have mentioned is more common.

Om Tat Purushaya Vidhmahe
Mahadevaya Dheemahe
Thanno Rudra Prachodayath.

Om, Let me meditate on the great Purusha,
Oh, greatest God, give me higher intellect,
And let God Rudra illuminate my mind.

aum pancahvaktraye vidmahe
mahadevaye dhi-mahi
tan no rudra prachodayat

We contemplate on Mahadeva, may Rudra deirect our minds. (Panchavaktra is all embracing form of Shiva, the combination of all the shiva-energies, which work in defferent directions and in the different elements.)

3. For mantra japa, you may find one or two-liners to recite with better attention and concentration. What is better than from choosing the 108 names of Shiva?
http://www.stephen-knapp.com/108_names_of_lord_shiva.htm

4. For Shiva Puja, these links may help:
http://www.rudraksha-ratna.com/articledt.php?art_id=175
http://www.vedic-shaktis.i12.com/Shiva_Puja/shiva_puja.html

Agnideva
14 May 2007, 11:21 PM
Namaste Clay,

"Om Tat Purusaya vimahe mahadevaya dhimahi tanno rudrah prachodayat"There are many mantras one may use for japa, but the easiest, shortest, simplest and most important Shiva mantra for japa is OM Namah Shivaya. It is used by all Shiva devotees. In Saiva Siddhanta, beginners may also be given the Kartikeya mantra: OM Sharavana Bhava, as Kartikeya is the divine Master who opens the door to spirituality, and leads us to Shiva.

Would also like suggestions for a simple Siva Puja. I have the beginners Siva Puja from Shree Maa but it is a little more complicated than I'd like for use on a daily basis. I personally like to keep my daily practice very simple. My practice involves only chanting a few mantras every morning after lighting an oil lamp. The mantras I recite daily at the puja altar include a Ganesha mantra, a Kartikeya mantra and the Mahamrityunjaya mantra. I end by performing a simple aarti while chanting the Rudra Gayatri that you listed above (tat purushaya vidmahe …).

Saidevo has given you some nice links for Shiva Puja. You can learn to perform a daily atmartha puja (puja for the benefit of oneself), if you wish. If it’s too much for daily practice, you can do it once a week on Mondays, as Mondays are holy days for Shiva worship.

I highly recommend to you the Mahamritunjaya mantra (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=845) from the Rigveda. If you wish you can also use the Mahamrityunjaya for japa. It is recommended for health and for spirituality. The Mahamritunjaya is sometimes also called the Shiva Gayatri of the Rigveda.

OM Namah Shivaya,
A.

shian
16 May 2007, 11:28 PM
the Mantra of Shiva in my Parampara Vajrayana Buddhism is:

"OM MAHESVARAYA SVAHA"

^^