PDA

View Full Version : Returning to forum

c.smith
14 May 2007, 07:39 PM
Namaste,

Although I have posted an introduction some time ago, I have posted for a while. Glad to be back and to be able to read all of the posts. Now it's time to play catch up.

My brief spell with ISKCON has ended, and I now consider myself a devotee of Siva. The ISKCON clan (in my opinion) is very "evangelical". I tried to give all of my love and devotion to Krishna, but Siva never left my heart. My love for Him grows daily and I feel fortunate to be making progress in my spiritual relationships.

Enough for now. Especially delighted to be back.

Om Namah Sivaya.

Agnideva
14 May 2007, 11:12 PM
Namaste Clay,

Welcome back to HDF :).

My brief spell with ISKCON has ended, and I now consider myself a devotee of Siva. The ISKCON clan (in my opinion) is very "evangelical". I tried to give all of my love and devotion to Krishna, but Siva never left my heart. My love for Him grows daily and I feel fortunate to be making progress in my spiritual relationships. Siva has a way of doing that – once He has taken His seat in your heart, He is there to stay :). When one comes to Siva, He seems very distant and detached from us, but with continued practice and devotion you feel closer to Him day by day. Accepting Siva means focusing on Siva, but does not mean we need to reject anything. Wise Saivites say that when we see images of Narayana, not to discriminate and say this is not Siva; instead we are told to say, “O Siva, what a beautiful form You have taken.” This, to me, is one of the most beautiful teachings.

OM Namah Shivaya.
A.

satay
15 May 2007, 12:08 AM
namaste c.smith,
Welcome back! I have missed your posts.

satay
16 May 2007, 10:13 AM
Wise Saivites say that when we see images of Narayana, not to discriminate and say this is not Siva; instead we are told to say, “O Siva, what a beautiful form You have taken.” This, to me, is one of the most beautiful teachings.

namaste Agni,
Yes, that is wise indeed!

Wise Vaishnavas meditate on the following instruction of the lord and come to the same conclusion.

Adhaya 10, shloka 23

rudranam sankaras casmi
vitteso yaksa-raksasam
vasunam pavakas casmi
meruh sikharinam aham

Of all the Rudras I am Lord Siva; of the Yaksas and Raksasas I am the Lord of wealth [Kuvera]; of the Vasus I am fire [Agni], and of mountains I am Meru.

Translation source: Gita As it is by swami Prabhupada

Agnideva
16 May 2007, 11:40 AM
Namaskar Satay,

Wise Vaishnavas meditate on the following instruction of the lord and come to the same conclusion.
Adhaya 10, shloka 23
rudranam sankaras casmi
vitteso yaksa-raksasam
vasunam pavakas casmi
meruh sikharinam aham
Of all the Rudras I am Lord Siva; of the Yaksas and Raksasas I am the Lord of wealth [Kuvera]; of the Vasus I am fire [Agni], and of mountains I am Meru.
Translation source: Gita As it is by swami Prabhupada
Yes! This is a beautiful Gita verse, and should be repeated again and again and again. Shaiva books have the same sort of statements. I am personally not a fan of "your God is a servant of my God" arguments that go on in internet forums. Here's a verse from a Shaiva book:

Ishvara said:

O Shailaja (Daughter of the Mountain), sometimes it so happens (in marriage) that the woman is the wearer of the Linga, whereas the man is a devotee of Vishnu. On the contrary, sometimes it is the man who wears the Linga, and the woman follows the order of the Vaishnavas. I ensure redemption to devotees of Vishnu and Shiva, as I have equal affection for both.

~Parameshvara Agama (XVII:20-21)

OM Shanti,
A.

atanu
16 May 2007, 12:55 PM
Namaste,

Although I have posted an introduction some time ago, I have posted for a while. Glad to be back and to be able to read all of the posts. Now it's time to play catch up.

My brief spell with ISKCON has ended, and I now consider myself a devotee of Siva. The ISKCON clan (in my opinion) is very "evangelical". I tried to give all of my love and devotion to Krishna, but Siva never left my heart. My love for Him grows daily and I feel fortunate to be making progress in my spiritual relationships.

Enough for now. Especially delighted to be back.

Om Namah Sivaya.

Welcome back.

Rig Veda 10.191.3

sa vishnu sa shiva sa rudra so'kshara sah

It is the non dual Self that is Auspicious, All Pervading and adorable to all.

Om Namah Shivaya