PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of reading Devanagari script

realdemigod
22 September 2016, 08:03 PM
Namaste,
I'm curious about the benefits of reading Devanagari script be it Sanskrit or Hindi. I know there could be subtleties between words in both the languages but the script being the same I would like to know the benefits. Is there any distinctive advantage of reading the Devanagari script from very young age.

Regards,
realdemigod

devotee
24 September 2016, 10:14 PM
Namaste RDG,

The characters in Devanagari is purely based on sound. So, if you can pronounce a word correctly, you can write it too easily. Similarly, if you can write correctly, the other person can pronounce it the way you intended.

Moreover, imo, SanyktAkshars (characters made of mixing two characters) and Sandhi (mixing of two words) cannot be easily understood until you have a fair idea of Devanagari script. All these rules are somehow or the other based on sound and how the words are written.

So, in my opinion, if you read/write Hindi / Sanskrit in Devanagri script, you have an advantage.

OM

realdemigod
28 September 2016, 10:39 PM
Namaster devotee,
Yes I remember that from my school days about the speciality of the Devanagiri script. Also I learnt recently that sounds of Sanskrit language have frequencies attuned to the human body vibrations. So reciting a mantra over time will manifest its meaning by itself as I was told.

I hope some university does research with fMRI scans on brain when someone is reading Sanskrit or reciting mantras. :)