PDA

View Full Version : What does GOD want?

satay
20 May 2007, 11:59 AM
namaskar!

This question has been echoing my mind for several days now. Not sure what's the source of this question at the subconcious level. I must say that I am not really bothered about the source of this question as I am not a philosiphical kind of guy.

Practically speaking, what does GOD want from humanity, in general and from man, in particular.

Any clue?

atanu
20 May 2007, 01:14 PM
namaskar!

This question has been echoing my mind for several days now. Not sure what's the source of this question at the subconcious level. I must say that I am not really bothered about the source of this question as I am not a philosiphical kind of guy.

Practically speaking, what does GOD want from humanity, in general and from man, in particular.

Any clue?

Namaste Satay,

Is HE/SHE troubled by desires?

Om Namah Shivaya

satay
20 May 2007, 09:26 PM
Namaste Satay,

Is HE/SHE troubled by desires?

Om Namah Shivaya

hmm...My guess would be that HE/SHE is not troubled by desires but what does he/she want from mankind? anything?

saidevo
20 May 2007, 11:34 PM
Who could know what God wants of us or even if He has such a want? We can only guess.

The internal communication lines between the Atman and the Jivas of mankind are all jammed: not with overuse, but with disuse. They are jammed, not from within, but from without, by the swell of karma caused and effected by the indulgence of mankind in prakriti.

The immanent (Param)Atman is only watching silently, eternally, and with no hurry at all, for them to clear the smog, make the connection and really talk and understand each other.

At a personal level, God wants us to want only what we need, desire to know what we really are, crave to make the connection with that we really are and make it a necessity in daily life.

At a social level, Gods wants us to share, preserve and enjoy the enormous resources of Nature and not corner or pollute them.

At a political level, Gods wants us to be ruled by Him, and by those who know Him better, and pull down all other adharmic forces.

At a global level, God perhaps wants us to preserve, adjust and co-exist but not wrangle over our geographical, historical, religious and spiritual differences.

What would God want us to do under the rule of Kali in this Yuga, Kali being a personification of the overall karma of the Jivas? Just sit and watch and ensure our own spiritual progress or try to stem the rot?

atanu
21 May 2007, 11:20 AM
Who could know what God wants of us or even if He has such a want? We can only guess.

The internal communication lines between the Atman and the Jivas of mankind are all jammed: not with overuse, but with disuse. They are jammed, not from within, but from without, by the swell of karma caused and effected by the indulgence of mankind in prakriti.

The immanent (Param)Atman is only watching silently, eternally, and with no hurry at all, for them to clear the smog, make the connection and really talk and understand each other.

At a personal level, God wants us to want only what we need, desire to know what we really are, crave to make the connection with that we really are and make it a necessity in daily life.

At a social level, Gods wants us to share, preserve and enjoy the enormous resources of Nature and not corner or pollute them.

At a political level, Gods wants us to be ruled by Him, and by those who know Him better, and pull down all other adharmic forces.

At a global level, God perhaps wants us to preserve, adjust and co-exist but not wrangle over our geographical, historical, religious and spiritual differences.

What would God want us to do under the rule of Kali in this Yuga, Kali being a personification of the overall karma of the Jivas? Just sit and watch and ensure our own spiritual progress or try to stem the rot?

Beautiful.

I would add that possibly John Lennon had echoed what Satay wants to know in song 'Imagine'.

yajvan
21 May 2007, 01:11 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

namaskar!
Practically speaking, what does GOD want from humanity, in general and from man, in particular. Any clue?

Namaste satay (et.al)

To suggest I even have a clue on this matter would be jnana-abhasa ( false or erroneous cognition) on my part... yet this question is valid from our mortal condition because it then begs ( or suggests) the question, why are we here? to fulfill the 'wants' of HIM, correct?

My humble take on this I believe is parochial - limited in scope but perhaps with a tinge of wisdom attached.

If we consider He/She has a desire, it is to suggest there is some part of Him/Her that is incomplete. What are desires for if not to fill something or complete something that is missing? That state of Brahman (niguna or saguna) is one of Bhuma - fullness. There is no desire that remains unfulfilled.

Now, when we view creation we see the possibility of incompleteness, due to not being established in Dharmamega ( cloud pouring virtue).

The interesting part (for me). Beings that meet their full potential of their divine abilities , jivanmuki ( Moksha while living on this earth) have the capacity to fulfill all desires, yet in this state of Brahman, one is Fullness itself. No additions are needed. Hence to these muni's the world is perfect in their eyes and requires no reconstruction. There are no klesa's ( ignorance) that remain in them, and their vision is perfect, hence the world is as it should be, which infers to me, that Isvara's work is perfect, nothing lacking, no desires. It is our journey to this perfection that clearly sugests that it is up to us to make the resolve to Kavalya.

Now, here's how I see it - to know Brahman is to become Brahman. This is the wisdom of the Upanishads. If one is Brahman then all things are possible - that goes from the smallest to the largest of anything ( desire, re-arrangement, etc). Yet the Great muni's of this world did not change the society in a blink of an eye to what it 'should be' because they only see perfection everywhere. That is they did not change us to what God wants us to be , per satay's comment, because the perfection is there already.

What the great ones do is to help us wake up and remember who we are. For some ( that would be me) it may take a few more lifetimes, for others , a wisper from a saint , for others it may take multiple trips to get it right.

So why this creation, why us why this world? My teacher says - the expansion of happiness, the play and display of the 3 gunas. I hope to realize this myself, and not just hear it from the realized ones.

May we all realize visoka jyotismati ( effulgent light) within us, free from sorrow with the blessings of Isvara.

pranams,

Jigar
21 May 2007, 04:21 PM
Namaste,
God is bored of the whole bioengineered technological process of jurisdiction by now. He just wants love and giving it back how you want it by taking out his frustrations in the most genious manner.

As It Is,
Jigar

Znanna
21 May 2007, 07:47 PM
It seems to me that Godz wants prayer, as without breath there cannot be expression.

YMMV

ZN

willie
21 May 2007, 08:52 PM
From the look of the replies no wonder this board is so dead.

God probably wants people to learn to get along better with each other. No more ignorant wars and yelling matches about religion and whose is the best and why all the others are lies.

I would think that god is pleased by some of the thing humans do, like fighting diseases so people can live normal lives. Making medical advances to help others.

Then there are the technological advances that are taking place. God must be happy about that.

Additionally, I think that god thru some means helps people to make these advances . Look at all that could be possible . There are other planets out there that could be lived on , if we can get to them. There is genetic engineering that could fight diseases and remake the human race. Computer advances are comming every day and communictions is advancing along with it . The earth is growing smaller and a lot of strange ideas now have no place to hide. Eventually there is going the have to be some general agreement in god. Maybe that is why religion is slowly fading away, it could be part of god's plan for a new beginning and a way to stop wars.

satay
21 May 2007, 11:49 PM
namaskar everyone,

Thank you for the replies, much appreciated. It is a strange question to begin with and since most people that I personally know of don't seem to have a direct one on one open connection with GOD, we can only guess the answer.

Arvind Sivaraman
22 May 2007, 05:27 AM
namaskar!

Any clue?

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Satay.

I will cite an simple example.
1)You have asked a query for which you expect a reply.If the reply convinces you, you will be happy and grateful to the person who has answered back.
Similary,God has created this universe consisting of Animals,Creatures,Beasts, Birds,Plants,Human Beings etc.The Human has got a special faculty called intelligence through which we can realise God(By constant remembrance).Thus God is highly pleased with the devotion and is grateful to the devotee.
2)The Mother gives birth to the child.After the child grows up, it is bounded duty of the child to be of service to the parents.This gratitude fills the Parents with supreme bliss.Similarly God is also filled with supreme bliss when the devotee(created by God) is grateful to God by constant remebrance.

yajvan
22 May 2007, 11:44 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

namaskar everyone,

Thank you for the replies, much appreciated. It is a strange question to begin with and since most people that I personally know of don't seem to have a direct one on one open connection with GOD, we can only guess the answer.

Namaste Satay.
The question you pose is rational and a good one... at its core it is sattvic in nature.
Perhaps most on this HDF does not know the Lord personally - but the good news here is , all are welcomed, there are no privilaged few. We are all candiates, we are all visphulinga (sparks) of the Divine.

Perhaps we will have a srotriya brahmanishtha - a teacher who is master of his SELF and of the sastras/agama's that will come forth on HDF.
Each one of us has the circuitry for this. It is a matter of sraddha [ srad = faith + dha= to place] that this will occur in one's life... We make the resolve.
The Upanishads simply say sa kratum kurvita or, 'he should make the resolve'. This is said after the rishi states "all is Brahman" – pointing to the notion of one making the 'resolve' to enjoy this state. Yet the word 'kratu' in English i.e. resolve , is less then adequate to describe what the rishi is trying to instruct/communicate. So we look to Adi Shankara and he explains it as ' a firm will with a fixed idea and sense of certainty that this is so, not otherwise' . This is summed up in one sanskrit word called Adhyavasaya or conviction or affirmation.

Once we are the exponent of Brahman, that is, living this Bhuma 7x24x365, the question on His will can be addressed fully , without doubts and to the level that is fitting of this forum.

Ganeshprasad
22 May 2007, 12:26 PM
Pranam to all

Through vedas this is what god requires us to do

"athato brahma jigyasa"

Translation: Now, therefore, one should inquire into the nature of Brahman, the Absolute Truth, or God. - Vedanta Sutra 1.1.1

From Bhagvat Gita Krishna explicitly asks us to do, though this is very confidential knowledge from chapter 9.27

yat karosi yad asnasi
yaj juhosi dadasi yat
yat tapasyasi kaunteya
tat kurusva mad-arpanam

O son of Kunti, whatever you do, whatever you eat, whatever you offer as oblation to the sacred fire, whatever charity you give, whatever austerity you perform, do all that as an offering unto Me.

We humans are gatisil prani, we can not remain inactive therefore what ever we may endeavor we must keep God in center in this way our actions would be dharmic and successful.

For me Sanjay sums it up in the end of Gita

yatra yogesvarah krsno
yatra partho dhanur-dharah
tatra srir vijayo bhutir
dhruva nitir matir mama

Wherever there is Krsna, the master of all mystics, and wherever there is Arjuna, the supreme archer, there will also certainly be opulence, victory, extraordinary power, and morality. That is my opinion.

Jai Shree Krishna

atanu
23 May 2007, 12:04 PM
Pranam to all

Through vedas this is what god requires us to do

"athato brahma jigyasa"

Translation: Now, therefore, one should inquire into the nature of Brahman, the Absolute Truth, or God. - Vedanta Sutra 1.1.1

From Bhagvat Gita Krishna explicitly asks us to do, though this is very confidential knowledge from chapter 9.27

yat karosi yad asnasi
yaj juhosi dadasi yat
yat tapasyasi kaunteya
tat kurusva mad-arpanam

O son of Kunti, whatever you do, whatever you eat, whatever you offer as oblation to the sacred fire, whatever charity you give, whatever austerity you perform, do all that as an offering unto Me.

We humans are gatisil prani, we can not remain inactive therefore what ever we may endeavor we must keep God in center in this way our actions would be dharmic and successful.

For me Sanjay sums it up in the end of Gita

yatra yogesvarah krsno
yatra partho dhanur-dharah
tatra srir vijayo bhutir
dhruva nitir matir mama

Wherever there is Krsna, the master of all mystics, and wherever there is Arjuna, the supreme archer, there will also certainly be opulence, victory, extraordinary power, and morality. That is my opinion.

Jai Shree Krishna

Welcome back Ganesh Prasad Ji, Namaste.

Your and Znanna's answers/reflections appealed to me most.

Japa/Enquiry and dedicating all work to God, you two suggest, are what should have been God's requirement of us (and gift to us). Ramana Maharshi has also repeatedly taught the same.

Also, mirroring Yajvan Ji, we may remember that all is known when Brahman is known. So we may speculate.

Om Namah Shivaya

atanu
23 May 2007, 12:27 PM
The following teaching of Jaggi Satguru may be pertinent to this post.

"Beliefs are barriers to knowing. It does not matter what kind of beliefs you have, belief means you are unwilling to see what you do not know." - Sadhguru

Drop all conclusions about God
With all the systems of religions, still man is utterly confused. Yet the very basic questioning within you, the most fundamental quality of inner exploration for Truth has been discouraged always by societies and religions around the world in favor of belief systems. Yet if seeking is destroyed there is no possibility for man to know anything beyond his limited levels of existence right now. The moment you suppress the questioning you are destroying all possibility of inner growth within a human being.

It takes enormous courage for a person to look beyond the conditioning of his belief systems and admit that even the most basic aspects of his life he does not know. And if you really look at your situation sincerely, you really do not know where you come from, and where you will go. Yet the few years that you are here on this planet, you keep yourself constantly busy because if you simply sit quietly, these questions about the source of life will climb upon you and pull you apart. Beliefs are barriers to knowing.

It does not matter what kind of beliefs you have, belief means you are unwilling to see what you do not know. Let’s look at a simple example. How many of you believe that you have two hands? Do you believe you have two hands, or do you know you have two hands? You know, isn’t it? Even if you have no eyes to see, still you know you have two hands. It is experientially clear to you. But so many other things you believe, isn’t it?

When it comes to God they have told you to believe; nobody told you to explore the Divinity. Believing something cannot transform you. If you experience the Divine it will leave you absolutely transformed. But without being touched by an experience, whatever you believe is of no significance. See, from the day you were born, if I keep telling you this little finger is God himself, Divine emotions will come within you. Likewise from the day you were born, if I teach you this little finger is the demon, terror will arise within you. This is the nature of your mind.

The mind is fluid; you can make anything out of it. How it is shaped depends on whose influence you are under right now. If you really look at this deeply, what you call as your mind is not really your mind, it is something that you have borrowed from thousands of people around you. From the day you were born, you have accumulated this mind in bits and pieces. Whatever kind of social situations you have been exposed to, that is the kind of mind you have, please see. Your mind is just what your background is, what kind of family, what kind of education, what kind of religion, what kind of nation, what kind of society, what kind of world you’re living in - that’s the kind of mind that you have.

The mind is necessary to survive in this world, but it will not take you to Truth. This can only be done by knowing experientially, not intellectually, because whatever you know intellectually is not knowing, it’s just a distortion. The intellect is just a survival tool, a limited aspect of your life. For a man who is flourishing, he clearly knows that survival is not enough, it is not fulfilling.

Now if you want to go into deeper dimensions of life, first of all you need the necessary instruments. Right now all that you have to experience life is just five sense organs, nothing more. The only way you know how to experience life right now is by seeing, hearing, touching, tasting, smelling. With this you cannot know anything beyond the physical. If you want to measure the depth of the ocean, and you go with a foot scale, definitely you’ll come with wrong conclusions. That’s exactly what is happening with people when it comes to God, to Divinity, to Truth. They are approaching the greatest questions of life without the necessary instruments within them. Without the necessary capability within, they will always jump into the wrong conclusion.

People are always eager to jump into some conclusion, because without a conclusion they have no substance of their own. Look sincerely at yourself and see, what you call as myself, this person, this personality is just a bundle of conclusions that you have made about life. It doesn’t matter what kind of conclusion you have made, you are bound to be wrong because life is dynamic, an ever expanding expression happening in now, not bound to your experiences of past or future. The moment you make conclusions, you have destroyed the possibilities of experiencing life as it really is.

So a spiritual process does not mean jumping into another set of conclusions. When you have the daring to exist here without any conclusions, willing to look all the time, willing to be and exist here as just a small particle of this existence, then you will know the limitlessness of the existence. Please see, the moment you make a conclusion you have made the existence into a small useless thing. And you are not only making conclusions about the creation, you are making conclusions about the creator also. Can you see and feel the enormity of the creation? In comparison to the creation and the creator, you are a miniscule part who can’t possibly perceive Divinity through the five sense organs. So to know God, we need another device beyond our physical perception.

See, once there was a philosopher fish. As he was sitting in great misery and worry, another fish passed his way, stopped by and said, "Oh philosopher why are you in such misery? What’s bothering you?" The philosopher fish said, "I’m in real trouble. Wherever I go every body is talking about the ocean. I want to find this ocean. So I went east, west, north, south, every possible way, and I don’t know where is this ocean." See, for the philosopher fish, belief in the ocean was not enough - he wants to experience it for himself. Now the problem is, he is also part of the ocean. He is unable to perceive the ocean because there is no perspective for him, no adequate tool of perception. This is also true with what you are referring to as you and God.

Om

atanu
25 May 2007, 04:23 AM
The following teaching of Jaggi Satguru may be pertinent to this post.

--------

See, once there was a philosopher fish. As he was sitting in great misery and worry, another fish passed his way, stopped by and said, "Oh philosopher why are you in such misery? What’s bothering you?" The philosopher fish said, "I’m in real trouble. Wherever I go every body is talking about the ocean. I want to find this ocean. So I went east, west, north, south, every possible way, and I don’t know where is this ocean." See, for the philosopher fish, belief in the ocean was not enough - he wants to experience it for himself. Now the problem is, he is also part of the ocean. He is unable to perceive the ocean because there is no perspective for him, no adequate tool of perception. This is also true with what you are referring to as you and God.

Om

At transendental level, it is beyond the realm of mind to decipher the truth.

At existential level, how can we think and feel differently from God. In fact, where from the thoughts are sprouting? Even the ego has its source in That.

Om Namah Shivaya