PDA

View Full Version : Longest period of Meditation!

CedarTree
27 August 2017, 01:16 PM
Namaste!

Many of us know about places of intensive meditation and practice.

On the Zen side places like Antai-ji in Japan & Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery in America come to mind.

For Theravada, Panditãrãma or Pa Auk Forest Monastery.

I am curious what are the longest stretches of intense meditation you have heard and also completed yourself!

It can be a folk story or true.

I am having a hard time finding the information now but one of the longest periods of meditation I have heard of is the 100 day Sesshin! I guess it all depends on the time-table of each day but if it is a standard Sesshin that would be beyond intense.

For myself I had a period a few years back while watching a property. I would do some simple chores and then walk over to a close park and sit. I probably was sitting around 7-10 hours a day and I think the period was about a month and a half or two.

I had a point were I had an incredible absorption/mystical experience. Almost like a powerful psychedelic experience although it was totally clear and there was no background feelings.

In it I experienced what felt like the massiveness of Samsara and were I was and had developed so far. Also seemed I had taken Bodhisattva vows in the past as I was experienced as a Bodhisattva. The interesting thing is at this time I was practicing very intensely on the Theravada perspective and so hadn't thought about Bodhisattvas in a long time to my knowledge lol

It was a very powerful experience.

ajay
05 October 2017, 02:28 AM
I am having a hard time finding the information now but one of the longest periods of meditation I have heard of is the 100 day Sesshin! I guess it all depends on the time-table of each day but if it is a standard Sesshin that would be beyond intense.

Namaste,

Meditation is probably the most meritorious act in spirituality, and I am glad that you are enthusiastic about long periods of meditation.

Here is a relevant scriptural teaching of the ancient scripture Yoga Vasistha, a discussion between the sage Vasistha and Prince Rama, which too advocates long bouts of meditation as well...

Meditation is the offering, meditation is the water offered to the deity to wash his hands and feet, self-knowledge gained through meditation is the flower — indeed all these are directed towards meditation. The self is not realized by any means other than meditation. If one is able to meditate even for thirteen seconds, even if one is ignorant, one attains the merit of giving away a cow in charity. If one does so for one hundred and one seconds, the merit is that of performing a sacred rite. If the duration is twelve minutes, the merit is a thousand fold. If the duration is of a day, one dwells in the highest realm. This is the supreme yoga, this is the supreme kriya (action or service). One who practices this mode of worship is worshipped by the gods and the demons and all other beings. Yoga Vasistha

Namaste!

I am curious what are the longest stretches of intense meditation you have heard and also completed yourself!

I enjoy meditating at brahma-muhurtham ( 4:00-6:00 a.m) which is considered the most auspicious time for meditation , as well as at dawn from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m, which is also considered an auspicious time. The times of sunrise and sunsets are very potent times for meditation and one gains a lot by meditating at these times.

I have also found that I am also able to meditate for long hours without disruption in the beachside along the sea or in gardens or in the midst of nature. This can be due to the abundance of prana or chi in these areas.

Silence, solitude, and abundance of nature can create an environment for natural progression of meditaiton without much exertion, and hence meditation retreats with a good track record is ideal for such bouts of meditation. If you have properties with natural surroundings or parks nearby, that is also an ideal setting for contemplation or meditation.

An insightful saying of Vimala Thakkar in this regard, ' Expose oneself as much as one can to nature, to the universe, all that is not man-made.'

And as Rabindranath Tagore also stated, 'Nature is the greatest guru'.

Wishing you well on your path of self-discovery... :o

Pranam.