PDA

View Full Version : Pain and Suffering

atanu
27 May 2007, 10:39 AM
I wish some discussions on those psychological areas that are connected with the experience of pain, suffering and rejection that will help one to develop a deeper understanding of life processes in spiritual light. How to carry out a healing? By penetrating the complicated connections and dependencies between human behavior, the psyche and early injuries - to differentiate between cause and effect?

Can one who is not a Self realized guru initiate healing? Or does such a person get drowned himsel/herself?

This is to help myself and two very dear friends of mine. Anyone capable of taking this forward?

Om Namah Shivaya

Znanna
27 May 2007, 07:47 PM
Namaste, Atanu,

It is my understanding that assimilation of pain, suffering, grief, etc without resistance allows healing without harm to the patient or the healing practicioner.

Everything happens for a reason, Mama says :)

I have also been told that channeling Godz (in my case, as priestess) allows for some sort of special dispensation - I will gladly take your loved ones' pain into me knowing that the Flow will dissipate and render neutral any poison.

"Fear is the mind-killer" - Dune

PM me if I can help in any way further, please.

ZN

atanu
27 May 2007, 10:42 PM
Namaste, Atanu,

It is my understanding that assimilation of pain, suffering, grief, etc without resistance allows healing without harm to the patient or the healing practicioner.

I have also been told that channeling Godz (in my case, as priestess) allows for some sort of special dispensation - I will gladly take your loved ones' pain into me knowing that the Flow will dissipate and render neutral any poison.

ZN

Namaste ZN,

I will surely pm you. Thanks for your kind gracious offer of help.

Can we also have an open participatory discussion? Who is Dune? Surely fear is the killer. But the truth is that just two days back, I put my face inside water for some time before I gasped and came out feeling the fear of death.

The imagination of the choking breath scares me, though it should be just a short duration before the bird goes flying?

I feel that those who have undergone death experience are wise.

Thanks and Regards

atanu
27 May 2007, 10:43 PM
Namaste, Atanu,

ZN

Namaste ZN,

I will surely pm you. Thanks for your kind gracious offer of help.

Can we also have an open participatory discussion? Who is Dune? Surely fear is the killer. But the truth is that just two days back, I put my face inside water for some time before I gasped and came out feeling the fear of death.

The imagination of the choking breath scares me, though it should be just a short duration before the bird goes flying?

I feel that those who have undergone death experience are wise.

Thanks and Regards

Arvind Sivaraman
28 May 2007, 12:48 AM
[quote=Atanu Banerjee;12560]I wish some discussions on those psychological areas that are connected with the experience of pain, suffering and rejection that will help one to develop a deeper understanding of life processes in spiritual light. How to carry out a healing? By penetrating the complicated connections and dependencies between human behavior, the psyche and early injuries - to differentiate between cause and effect?

Can one who is not a Self realized guru initiate healing? Or does such a person get drowned himsel/herself?

This is to help myself and two very dear friends of mine. Anyone capable of taking this forward?

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Atanu Banerjee.

The glance of self realised souls is enough to heal the diseases of men,women and animals also.
Therefore the ideal resort would be to submit ourselves humbly to the self realised souls.

Znanna
28 May 2007, 06:05 AM
Dune is a science fiction book.

In the Dune novel, the Bene Gesserit used the following chanted words to reduce their fear.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bene_Gesserit

ZN

atanu
28 May 2007, 08:31 AM
Dune is a science fiction book.

In the Dune novel, the Bene Gesserit used the following chanted words to reduce their fear.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bene_Gesserit

ZN

Namaste Zn,

Thanks. It seems to me that the world is full of Vedantists and Ramana devotees? hehe. The problem is however, the fear of choking breath. hehe.

I will pm you -- will take some time to arrange my thoughts, which are scattered at 5 places now.

Regards,

Atanu

atanu
28 May 2007, 08:42 AM
------Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Atanu Banerjee.

The glance of self realised souls is enough to heal the diseases of men,women and animals also.
Therefore the ideal resort would be to submit ourselves humbly to the self realised souls.

Namaste Arvind,

That's nice. I am trying to make my Guru appreciate that I have a problem. My Guru, though all knowing and all pervasive, says that there is no problem. And that has become the problem.

When I approach Him for solutions to personal problems, He just severes the connection.

Thanks.

atanu
28 May 2007, 08:47 AM
Namaste, Atanu,

My respects. What you say here is the highest wisdom.

The same in HEAT and COLD. Same with friends and enemies. The samadrishti. The highest dictate of Shri Krishna in Gita.

What is so easy for you, however does not come easy to all -- I think.

ZN

Can the priestess do it even when she does not know the people involved? What details are required?

I also know that many Gurus took upon themselves the karma of others and they suffered in their body. This does not make me feel comfortable.

Om Namah Shivaya

Ganeshprasad
28 May 2007, 10:34 AM
Pranam Atanu ji

If you knew Gujrati I would sing this (prabhatiu) morning bhajan

Sukh Dukh manMa nav aniye ghat sathe re ghdiya

Meaning roughly, oh mind do not let happiness and distress affect you for it is in built in this material body.

Infect there is no real happiness in this world, all we perceive as pleasure is mere relief from pain

In Bhagvat Gita Shree Krishna describes this world as Dukhaliyam ashvastha, full of pain and temporary.

Just as sure as the day follows the night the our condition never remain the same, one minute we are happy, sad the next.

Hang in there my friend what ever it is, it will pass, accept every situation as Bhagvat prasad

A few word of comfort and support goes a long way in sharing the pain, what is that saying goes a problem shared is a problem halved.

A guru self realised or otherwise, any way how do we know who is realised? Can surely help but his help would and should always be a permanent solution I think you know this very well.

This does not mean we do nothing to alleviate the present condition we may be suffering if it is at all in our hands.
If nothing works just put the hands up and submit to the will of god. Prayers are very powerful tools.

Jai Shree Krishna

saidevo
28 May 2007, 11:36 AM
Namaste Atanu ji.

Lord Shiva will definitely give you the courage, patience and peace to withstand this passing phase of pain and suffering. Perhaps he wants to make you more spiritual by giving this test.

I pray to Lord Shiva and Baba to resolve your situation and give you and your friends relief, happiness and peace.

sm78
28 May 2007, 01:48 PM
Pain and Suffering (if I can use that term for certain events of my life) have been more instrumental in pointing the insufficiency of normal mortal existence and the need to seek God. I have found in them greater friends than in happiness.

Znanna
28 May 2007, 06:34 PM
My respects. What you say here is the highest wisdom.

The same in HEAT and COLD. Same with friends and enemies. The samadrishti. The highest dictate of Shri Krishna in Gita.

What is so easy for you, however does not come easy to all -- I think.

Can the priestess do it even when she does not know the people involved? What details are required?

I also know that many Gurus took upon themselves the karma of others and they suffered in their body. This does not make me feel comfortable.

Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

There is a virtue to accepting what is offered freely. :)

My personal arrangements, well, that's my own melody.

I am known to y'all, I will do all I can to help.

Love,
ZN

atanu
29 May 2007, 01:18 PM
My dearest friends,

My deep thanks to you all for the love and spiritual support. It is true that something has happened which has ripped apart my surrounding and which has affected some other people. My pain is my inability to do anything for the welfare of the affected ones whom I love dearly.

I take this opportunity to reiterate that I am born of pure consciousness -- of my pure MOTHER. My friend is Intellect, which by nature should be sparkling bright, but by associating with her friend, the Ignorance, she has apparently lost the sparkle and has a bent broken back now. Ignorance has a son called delusion, who seduced the intellect to marry him and they gave birth to the wavering mind ---- which is the pain.

Didi will help.

Om Namah Shivaya

satay
29 May 2007, 04:18 PM
Namaskar Atanu!

I Can not pertend to understand the pain and suffering that you are going through right now but know that 'pain and suffering' turns hard line atheists into believers.

Have shrdha, HE knows what HE is doing...

Shivom!

atanu
30 May 2007, 10:16 AM
Namaste,

There is a virtue to accepting what is offered freely. :)
------
Love,
ZN

I recently met an off beat spiritual man of high order, who is not at all a conventional sadhu. He has very expensive taste. When I complained about his expensive taste, He said that everything was free and that no price tag be attached to taste.

Yes, what comes naturally is always free and is the best.

While discussing Advaita and Maya, I provoked him by pointing out that a mosquito bite stings and that it was hard to overcome the painful sensations. He retorted (kindly) that the body itself was the result of a big bite --- the bite of Prakriti.

To every argument of mine He had an off beat answer that floored me everytime.

Its nice to recieve knowledge.

Thanks Dear Satay. I truly know the value of hard times. But I wonder, why this had to be like this? I mean, why God's entry should preceeded by pain? Why ego had to be existing at all, to feel the pain first and then dissolve?

Again, I know that no one has an answer as to why and where of ignorance, the mother of Ego.

Om Namah Shivaya

Znanna
30 May 2007, 08:38 PM
Again, I know that no one has an answer as to why and where of ignorance, the mother of Ego.

Perhaps the answer is the question itself?

ZN

atanu
31 May 2007, 12:46 PM
Perhaps the answer is the question itself?

ZN

Yes, I suppose, ignorance is the phantom.

This is the training ground. Knowing so well or pretending to know well that the ego only is the ignorance we still weep along with the ego and for the ego.

Shri Ramana on
HAPPINESS

ALL BEINGS DESIRE HAPPINESS ALWAYS, happiness without a tinge of sorrow. At the same time everybody loves himself best. The cause for love is only happiness. So, that happiness must lie within oneself. Further, that happiness is daily experienced by everyone in sleep when there is no mind. To attain that natural happiness one must know oneself. For that, Self-enquiry, ‘Who am I?’ is the chief means.
Happiness is the nature of the Self. They are not different.
The only happiness there is, is of the Self. That is the truth. There is no happiness in worldly objects. Because of our ignorance we imagine we derive happiness from them. In deep sleep the man is devoid of all possessions, including his own body. Instead of being unhappy he is quite happy. Everyone desires to sleep soundly. The conclusion therefore is that happiness is inherent in man and is not due to external causes. One must realize his Self in order to open the store of unalloyed happiness.

There is a story in Panchadasi, which illustrates that our pains and pleasures are not due to facts but to our concepts. Two young men of a village went on a pilgrimage to a foreign country. One of them died there. But the other having picked up some job decided to return to his village only after some time. Meanwhile he came across a wandering pilgrim and sent word through him to his village about himself and his dead friend. The pilgrim conveyed the news and in doing so inadvertently changed the names of the living and the dead man. The result was that the dead man’s people were rejoicing that he was doing well and the living man’s people were in grief that he was dead.

Om Namah Shivaya

atanu
01 June 2007, 12:51 PM
The link below is pertinent here.

http://www.omkarananda-ashram.org/Publications/secret_of_happiness.htm#conquer

atanu
10 July 2007, 01:31 AM
If God is Omniscient, then isn't it true, by corollary, that actions and reactions are all pre-meditated? The feeling of free will is also pre-meditated.

How to change the course of what He meditates? Is it possible? I think, the free will is for and of the one who is in total control in meditation.

Om Namah Shivaya

yajvan
10 July 2007, 04:51 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~
Namsate Atanu,
I am in hopes all is getting better. I am just writing to let you you know of my support for you is there.

It is said when there is fear or ill health, a most robust mantra may be of use to the native: The rishi's say it brings/stimulates the 33 deva's of creation. They are contained in the Mrityunjaya Mantra. I am sure I am not telling you any thing that is foreign to your wisdom. It is this I wish for you, that all 33 Deva's [the 8 vasu's + 11 rudrah + 12 aditiya + Indra + Prajapati] hear my request, to support you, to alleviate any troubles or imbalances that come your way, that all obstacles are no more; They are with you for your support.

Mrityunjaya = Mritu or death + Jaya or victory. Victory over these feelings or obstacles of death.
Om Tryambakam Yajamahe
Sugandhim Pustivardhanam
Urvarukamiva Bandhanan
Mrtyor muksheeya Maamritat
__________________________Rk Ved 7.59

If I May ,let me offer the meaning for the words... I am sure you know them, but let me add them here, for others, but more to energise the words as it is my joy to type these sounds/mantra:

Tryambakam - the 3 eyed one, Siva
Yajamahe - some say we venerate worship; I prefer we sing thee praise
Sungandhim - fragrant - the Divine, is aways fragrant and sweet to the devotee
Pushti - nourishes ( Siva, the root cause of all, nourishes all)
Varghanam - increases , in abundence; our devotion, our sadhana, ever increases
Uvarukamiva - creeper , like a cucumber; this is then lifted from the vine, and or naturally falls off. For us, to release us of all that is not THAT, from all that is avidya, all that is non-SELF, the removal of all fear , obsessions.
Bandhanan - bondage - that which binds us to this avidya, the Not-SELF.
Mrityor - death, some call ignorance of not knowing the SELF.
Muksheeya - Mokska, Liberation; coming home to HIM, to the SELF.
Ma-amritat - realization of the amrit, the immortal, Infinite, Bhuma, Fulless, that is the Reality behind all this we see, hear, think, smell and touch.

As we put them all together:
Let us praise/worship the 3 eyed one (Siva). Who is sacred (fragrant) and who nourishes all beings. Just as a ripe cucumber is released from it's creeper, may we be released, liberated (moksha) from death and be granted our immortal nature.

I will have this Mrityunjaya mantra playing on my CD player, 7x24x365 , in hopes this influence goes out everywhere, and to you. It will be repeated 108 times per session, all day, all night until the CD runs out of working energy.

Om Namah sivaya

atanu
12 July 2007, 11:26 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~
-----
As we put them all together:
Let us praise/worship the 3 eyed one (Siva). Who is sacred (fragrant) and who nourishes all beings. Just as a ripe cucumber is released from it's creeper, may we be released, liberated (moksha) from death and be granted our immortal nature.

I will have this Mrityunjaya mantra playing on my CD player, 7x24x365 , in hopes this influence goes out everywhere, and to you. It will be repeated 108 times per session, all day, all night until the CD runs out of working energy.

Om Namah sivaya

Namaskar Yajvan Ji,

Accept my deep thanks please. Mrityunjaya has been with me for some years now. My goal is to attain Mrityunjaya's feet.

More.

1. I repeat the intuitive questioning that dawned on me and which can alleviate pain if well understood.

If God is Omniscient, then isn't it true, by corollary, that actions and reactions are all pre-meditated?

God knows what has happened, what is happening, and what will happen. It is best for us to surrender at His feet and give up the doership.

2. Shri Ramana was often asked to alleviate torment of mind. Ramana asked back "Did you sleep?" "Did you worry in your sleep?" "Then whether the person who was asleep and worriless different from the person who is awake and worried?" "What has transpired in between?"

This puts the question squarely back to "Who am I, while sleeping?" "Who am I while dreaming?" and "Who am I while awake?"

And "Who is worried?"

I have found the above two of great use when troubled (along with japa and meditation). May this benefit all.

Om Namah Shivaya

yajvan
12 July 2007, 03:37 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Namaskar Yajvan Ji,

Accept my deep thanks please. Mrityunjaya has been with me for some years now. My goal is to attain Mrityunjaya's feet.
More.
1. I repeat the intuitive questioning that dawned on me and which can alleviate pain if well understood.

If God is Omniscient, then isn't it true, by corollary, that actions and reactions are all pre-meditated?

God knows what has happened, what is happening, and what will happen. It is best for us to surrender at His feet and give up the doership.

2. Shri Ramana was often asked to alleviate torment of mind. Ramana asked back "Did you sleep?" "Did you worry in your sleep?" "Then whether the person who was asleep and worriless different from the person who is awake and worried?" "What has transpired in between?"

This puts the question squarely back to "Who am I, while sleeping?" "Who am I while dreaming?" and "Who am I while awake?" And "Who is worried?"
I have found the above two of great use when troubled (along with japa and meditation). May this benefit all. Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste Atanu ,
Yes a fine question indeed. From my teachings 'surrender' is when one is possessed of the SELF. This possession, is that of simplicity and surrendering every thing that is not us - the transitory part of life, and let the 3 guna (prakriti) act on its own, cutting pasa. So Says my teacher and confirmed by Krsa. But the beauty here is I can see this truth, its clear to me and understood.
Now is this transitory part 'bad'? Nope - not as I understand it. It too is a part of Brahman, and that is who we are in parcel.

So this Omniscience is complimented by Omnipotence, together is Brahman. Brahm as Great and ever expanding, fills every thing up to ones fingernails as the Upanishads say.

He is Sarvesvara, Lord of all, Governs all. And as you say he is Prajana, all- knower. Hence, what would He not know? Everything is Him.

So, I type this, do I 'know' this? i.e. experience it daily? Nope. This revelation is svatasiddha, self proved. One can give me hints, and I can read and work with the panditji on all this, yet it is the SELF that realizes the SELF to itSELF. Our job, as I understand it, is to create the conditions for this to occur... and to possess shraddha.

As I am taught by the shastra's, sa kratum kurvita, or one should make the resolve. What is this resolve for us to consider? to realize Brahman, that 'that this is so, not otherwise' That Brahman is our core value and our true nature. I have no doubt of this what so ever, for this I am blessed.

Yet, the above is not my wisdom, but that of Adi Shankara's on this matter, highlighted by TV Kapali Shastri's book , The Book Of Lights. This notion that 'this is so' is one of resolute will and firm faith , kratu + shraddha. May we all possess this for the SELF to dawn.

pranams,

Ganeshprasad
12 July 2007, 03:52 PM
Namaskar Yajvan Ji,

This puts the question squarely back to "Who am I, while sleeping?" "Who am I while dreaming?" and "Who am I while awake?"

And "Who is worried?"

I have found the above two of great use when troubled (along with japa and meditation). May this benefit all.

Om Namah Shivaya

Pranam Atanu ji

May be this does not satisfy you but my simple answer is I am ‘I’ always. I am only worried because I falsely identify 'me' as this trigunatik made of bhotik panch bhuta. Since this material world is for ever mutating I feel I will die hence I am clinging on to this dear life knowing it my be taken away any time but in reality I never cease to be as Krishna promises.

So as you say
God knows what has happened, what is happening, and what will happen. It is best for us to surrender at His feet and give up the doer ship.

Wise advise but hard to follow since surrender it self is an act.

Jai Shree Krishna

atanu
13 July 2007, 08:29 AM
Pranam Atanu ji

May be this does not satisfy you but my simple answer is I am ‘I’ always. I am only worried because I falsely identify 'me' as this trigunatik made of bhotik panch bhuta. Since this material world is for ever mutating I feel I will die hence I am clinging on to this dear life knowing it my be taken away any time but in reality I never cease to be as Krishna promises.

So as you say
God knows what has happened, what is happening, and what will happen. It is best for us to surrender at His feet and give up the doer ship.

Wise advise but hard to follow since surrender it self is an act.

Jai Shree Krishna

Namaskar Ganesh Prasad Ji,

Wise words from you -- easy to understand. Yes to surrender is to act and in itself that is egoistic. But true surrender as per Raman Maharshi is: "Be as you are".

Well that is also not easy. It requires a mind that is steady like rock yet fully alert. Sometimes, for a few seconds, I have experienced that I have sort of grasped the subtle by becoming subtle and merged with the I awareness that is all pervading.

And it requires the blessings of Iswara who will remove the noose set upon us by Varuna.

Regards

Om Namah Shivaya

atanu
13 July 2007, 08:40 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Namaste Atanu ,
Yes a fine question indeed. From my teachings 'surrender' is when one is possessed of the SELF. This possession, is that of simplicity and surrendering every thing that is not us - the transitory part of life, and let the 3 guna (prakriti) act on its own, cutting pasa. ----
pranams,

Namaskar Yajvan Ji

Perfect. Yes possessed of the most subtle all pervading Self and one's consciousness merged with that without boundary.

The problem is, in the beginning, one has to practice withdrawal fron samsara and only when the mastery is gained one can act perfectly in the samsara without losing Brahman. This transition phase is not easy, since the Universe (in the sadhaka's mind) starts jeering: There is one no-good fellow, useless.

I have written elsewhere that Ramana has taught: A sadhaka will have no peace till he is one with the Lord. A sadhaka may break down in this phase without Guru/Lord's grace.

Regards,

Om Namah Shivaya

yajvan
13 July 2007, 09:01 PM
Perfect. Yes possessed of the most subtle all pervading Self and one's consciousness merged with that without boundary.

The problem is, in the beginning, one has to practice withdrawal fron samsara and only when the mastery is gained one can act perfectly in the samsara without losing Brahman. This transition phase is not easy, since the Universe (in the sadhaka's mind) starts jeering: There is one no-good fellow, useless.

I have written elsewhere that Ramana has taught: A sadhaka will have no peace till he is one with the Lord. A sadhaka may break down in this phase without Guru/Lord's grace. Regards, Om Namah Shivaya

Namste Atanu,
very well said. Very easy to understand your point as I see this. This perfection comes with time and with His grace. The Upanishads state that there will be one there to assist at that time, Sanatkumara known as Skanda , to assist with the final knot that needs to be cut.

May we all get prepared on a daily basis. For me, that means transcending (withdrawing as a practice). Continuing to culture the nervous system ( the village of the senses) to function in that silence. Then one does not need to ahe ones eyes closed! It is there, the SELF Is with in daily life, He is with you.

Many have all different experiences during the 'ride' to the SELF. What one needs to remember ( this would be me) is what is your experince when your eyes are open and you are going about ones daily works? This is the fruit to be gained. Very practical. Even Krsna informs us 'yogastha kuru karmani' - established in yoga (union) perform action (karma or kriya).
Why so? becauuse it will bare the maximium benefit without binding the native, as s/he is free and resides with the SELF, unbounded, restfully alert. All actions are in aligment with HIM.

Om Nama Sivya

pranams

atanu
13 July 2007, 10:38 PM
Namste Atanu,
very well said. Very easy to understand your point as I see this. This perfection comes with time and with His grace. The Upanishads state that there will be one there to assist at that time, Sanatkumara known as Skanda , to assist with the final knot that needs to be cut.

--------Even Krsna informs us 'yogastha kuru karmani' - established in yoga (union) perform action (karma or kriya).
-----
Om Nama Sivya

pranams

Namaskar,

May Skanda shower the grace. May Sahaja Samadhi be sahaja.

Om

atanu
28 July 2007, 01:46 AM
Namaste Everyone

While exchanging notes with a dear friend, the topic of discomfort came up. I said “Your discomfort and my discomfort are similar; the repeated surfacing of the personal “i” sensing that it has to do much under constrained and vitiated environment at work place bother me no end”. I further said “I know that till desires related to personal self are attenuated, this problem will persist”.

My friend said “That instrument wala (the owner of the instrument) knows that the instrument has to act and move in certain direction. So He has tied a carrot before the ass (instrument), so that the ass moves. Ass is after the carrot but it does not know that carrot is not the goal. The day the ass realizes that it has to act and move in the specified direction, irrespective of whether carrot dangles or not, the carrot will be dropped”.

I liked the naughty behaviour of the instrument wala.

BG18.61. The Lord dwells in the hearts of all beings, O Arjuna, causing all beings, by His illusive power, to revolve as if mounted on a machine!

BG18.62. Fly unto Him for refuge with all thy being, O Arjuna! By His Grace thou shalt obtain supreme peace and the eternal abode.

Om Namah Shivaya

yajvan
28 July 2007, 09:17 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Namaste Everyone
While exchanging notes with a dear friend, the topic of discomfort came up. I said “Your discomfort and my discomfort are similar; the repeated surfacing of the personal “i” sensing that it has to do much under constrained and vitiated environment at work place bother me no end”. I further said “I know that till desires related to personal self are attenuated, this problem will persist”.
My friend said “That instrument wala (the owner of the instrument) knows that the instrument has to act and move in certain direction. So He has tied a carrot before the ass (instrument), so that the ass moves. Ass is after the carrot but it does not know that carrot is not the goal. The day the ass realizes that it has to act and move in the specified direction, irrespective of whether carrot dangles or not, the carrot will be dropped”. Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste Atanu,
A very good post... Work and profession has much to do with our lives and how people see us , and for many how we view ourselves to. Without it we do not eat. For some without it, they do not have an image or a sense of worth. This does not make anyone bad people, it is just their value system for that point in their lives. Overall its a contribution to society while at the same time a mechinism for self-development ( small 's') and to afford life ($$).

I thought I would add two things. This is just thoughts that have made sense to me for a while.

Do not get the mind excessively involved in your employment if you desire peace. - Swami Brahmananda Saraswati
[I did not do a very good job of this for some time]

My teacher told me something that made sense for me. He said, See the job, do the job, stay out of misery. What that meant to me was focus on the job/assignment at hand. Do not read anymore into the work. Do it and get it done, that is that. Now this does not aways work (for me) when there are multiple people that impact the outcome and your work depends on thier feeds and prior work. Yet the wisdom here was solid.

I am not suggesting this is for you; I think the 'carrot' is an excellent consideration. Work, over the years has served me well, yet it does have a place, a value and a timit limit.

pranams,

atanu
28 July 2007, 09:44 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

------
I am not suggesting this is for you; I think the 'carrot' is an excellent consideration. Work, over the years has served me well, yet it does have a place, a value and a timit limit.

pranams,

Pranam

A donkey running with a carrot forever dangling in its front as the metaphor for a man running after desires, made me guffaw. The mischievous nature of Lord came to my mind. I thought of sharing with everyone.

No seriousness at all.

Om Namah Shivaya