PDA

View Full Version : State Terrorism on Hindus?

saidevo
03 June 2007, 11:04 PM
These happenings in Kerala indicate that even the State can terrorize Hindus when they resort to a legitimate demand. The BJP and RSS were just mute witnesses and failed to support the Hindus in this vital issue.

Over 2000 Hindu activists participated in storming Azhakodi Devi temple premises
6/3/2007 8:40:38 AM HK Correspondent

KOZHIKODE : For the first time since the famous Nilakkal movement more than 20 years ago, Kerala today witnessed the real strength of Hindu organizations and their dedicated activists.

More than 2,000 Hindu activists, including women and children, stormed the temple premises from all directions today afternoon and took over the control of temple premises and other properties of the temple.

This action followed the takeover yesterday of the cash-rich temple by the godless Kerala government seeking to boost its income by looting Hindu places of worship.

Hindu Aikiya Vedi’s state leader Marad Suresh lead the team along with leaders of other Hindu organizations like P.K. Sahadevan and Harish Kumar.

The sudden action by the Hindu activists took the police by surprise and the men in uniform, for a change, refused to harm the Hindu activists.

According to the latest information available, the temple premises & properties are in partial control of Hindu organizations as the govt. authorities are not agreeing to handover it to the Hindu organisations officially. A 100-member strong Hindu volunteer group is guarding the temple premises while many devotees, including several women & children are conducting non-stop bhajans and keerthans inside the premises. A strong Police forces have ringed the temple while Hindu leaders are in discussions with the government authorities about its future.

‘We did our level best, but Police lathicharged us heavily’ : Devotees
6/2/2007 8:23:57 AM HK Correspondent

KOZHIKODE : Hindu devotees who were participated the protest to protect Azhakodi Devi temple said the whole Hindu devotees including Woman, children were fully prepared to protect the temple from the state govt. authorities. “They did their level best and resisted till last minutes but later as instructed by the top level Police started lathichares heavily and the poor devotees could not resist for long time”, said one of the devotees.

“Today’s incident is the saddest day of my life” said another devotee who is regularly visiting the temple for the last several years.

Azhakodi Devi temple is one of best maintained and richest temple in Calicut district which was not under the govt control. This temple was in forefront in organizing Hindu activities in Calicut city. It had started Gita, Upanishad classes, Classical dance and Musical classes to the Hindu children in the city free of cost. All the funds for this came from the Marriage Auditorium (Kalyana Mandapam), one of the best in city runs by the temple management. The Devesom Minister and CPM’s eye was on huge income from the Marriage Auditorium which is engaged almost 365 in the year.

Police raid in Azhakodi Devi Temple, devotees attacked, temple under Govt.'s control
6/2/2007 3:45:27 AM HK

KOZHIKODE: Police today attacked hundreds of Hindu devotees & Hindu Aikya Vedi activists when they protested against the government's move to take over the Azhakodi Devi Temple & its properties. Later Police arrested hundreds of devotees including large number of woman & children and taken them in to the Police custody.

The Police and govt. employees of the Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments Department, controls by the CPM government forcibly takeover the cash, properties, furniture & bank account details of the temple and handed over to the Government’s executive officer.

Hindu Aikya Vedi and other Hindu organizations state leaders are on the way to Kozhikode to take further course of action and the decision will be announced later today.

sm78
04 June 2007, 03:58 AM
Instead of Turkish horsemen from the Northwest a millennium ago, it is now people born in this country and often in 'Hindu' families that are looting our temples. Ironically partly still to fund the turuksha madrasa network.

It is not my job to think about the future, but all rationality indicates that we are seeing the final days of our ancient culture. The future of this planet is very scary indeed.

At personal level we can do what we are capable of. Live according to dharma to best of our ability and pass on the seeds of our culture. Without central power demonstration and retaliation is futile. It is upto the 'humanity' at large as to what we choose as our future. If evolution of consciousness is not what we seek, nature will have very little reason to sustain us more.

saidevo
04 June 2007, 06:40 AM
Namaste sm78.

Nice to see you posting after some interval.

It is not my job to think about the future, but all rationality indicates that we are seeing the final days of our ancient culture. The future of this planet is very scary indeed.

At personal level we can do what we are capable of. Live according to dharma to best of our ability and pass on the seeds of our culture.

My anxiety is chiefly this, among other things, when I read about reports of attack on Hindu Dharma and Hindus giving in finally:

Howevermuch we discuss and do sAdhanA about attaining mokSa, many of us--and those good, devoted Hindus and true patriots of Bharat who passed away from their physical life in the recent path--will be reborn in the near future. According to Pandit Shriram Sharma Acharya of the All World Gayatri Parivar (awgp), a disembodied soul gets back on the earth in a maximum time of twelve years! Will there be our Sanatana Dharma for us to be reborn into? This is very scary to think about, besides the future of our Hindu children. While many followers of the western religions are growing out of their faiths and becoming Hindus in their hearts, we Hindus are not conscious of the values of our own dharma!

I sometimes think if our DharmAcharyas of various traditions are only dissipating their spiritual energies by not uniting their sAdhanAs and actions to sustain the Hindu dharma at all levels from the grassroots up to the national. One effective action could be the unity of all Hindutva forces under a Hindu national party with its roots on dharma, but this idea is not even much talked about.

There are only two ways to counter adharma: one by retaliation at the worldly level, acting out the part of soldiers as Islam does, or lobby smartly as Christianity does. The other way is to focus the action of spiritual forces by widespread, powerful prayers, Vedic chanting and yajnas, which are there now but not to the required level perhaps. Being neither here nor there, we suffer, failing to save our dharma which consequently is not able to save us.

sm78
04 June 2007, 07:20 AM
However much we discuss and do sAdhanA about attaining mokSa, many of us--and those good, devoted Hindus and true patriots of Bharat who passed away from their physical life in the recent path--will be reborn in the near future. According to Pandit Shriram Sharma Acharya of the All World Gayatri Parivar (awgp), a disembodied soul gets back on the earth in a maximum time of twelve years! Will there be our Sanatana Dharma for us to be reborn into? This is very scary to think about, besides the future of our Hindu children. While many followers of the western religions are growing out of their faiths and becoming Hindus in their hearts, we Hindus are not conscious of the values of our own dharma!

What u have noted here had worried me much as well. I had posted on these lines in older days of HDF when I had a different ID. Influence of Hindu Dharma among western people is negligible when the entire western populace is considered. West I think is still mostly Christian and some liberal atheists adding to the mix.

However I go with the assurance that if I personally haven't aided the growth of adhrama in my life, I shouldn't be suffering in it. This world is not my mess. Good, if I can do something more concrete at the social level to propagate the dharma ~ but for most of the time, it is truly beyond my capacity. I should not be penalized in any case. :).

Subramaniyaswami also says that one need not be born in this very planet and there are countless other planets having evolution level equal or beyond earth. It is not a totally irrational belief to hold on to at the times of mental distress which we face when we open the TV and read the news. :)

I sometimes think if our DharmAcharyas of various traditions are only dissipating their spiritual energies by not uniting their sAdhanAs and actions to sustain the Hindu dharma at all levels from the grassroots up to the national. One effective action could be the unity of all Hindutva forces under a Hindu national party with its roots on dharma, but this idea is not even much talked about.

Here I believe that there have been very few true dharmacharyas our culture has seen in this age. We have had great saints who have been able to spread joy to the hearts of millions, but none of their actions show the maturity and far-sightedness of say what Sri Shankaracharya did. This may put me in a false position where I put ranks to the siddhas ~ but I do believe that there are levels of Brhama Janans. The great souls who come in the precious periods of Yuga-Sandhis like Sri Vyasa, Sri Shankaracharya are rarest of the rare among the siddhas themselves.

In our time I only person who has all his life tried for Hindu solidarity throughout his life beyond sharing the joy of Turiya was Sivaya Subramaniyaswami. Without sounding harsh I found that for many other great names, having sishyas throught the world ranked to be more important than uniting the Hindu society. Many of them even declare themselves to be beyond religion.

I find the acharyas of the shakara parampara to be most responsive to the need to saving the dharma. Hence my attraction for them.

There are only two ways to counter adharma: one by retaliation at the worldly level, acting out the part of soldiers as Islam does, or lobby smartly as Christianity does. The other way is to focus the action of spiritual forces by widespread, powerful prayers, Vedic chanting and yajnas, which are there now but not to the required level perhaps. Being neither here nor there, we suffer, failing to save our dharma which consequently is not able to save us.

I think Hindu's need to be in power of the land they live in. After that means to counter adharma is a practical affair. For missionaries a simple and strict ban on religious conversion and strict eye on their funding mechanism will clip their wing. e.g. Missionaries now pose no threat to Japan or Singapore.

I was briefly associated with Hindutva organizations in my student days. But soon figured out that Hindutva without a trace of Hinduism in practice will morphe into a secular party in no time. This is what is happening/happened with RSS and its daughters.

saidevo
04 June 2007, 08:15 AM
Namaste Singhi Kaya,

However I go with the assurance that if I personally haven't aided the growth of adhrama in my life, I shouldn't be suffering in it. This world is not my mess. Good, if I can do something more concrete at the social level to propagate the dharma ~ but for most of the time, it is truly beyond my capacity. I should not be penalized in any case.

I am rather reassured by your views which seem better placed and more mature than mine. One solution as you say could be in our own living in accordance with our dharma, without aiding or abetting adharma where we can help in our personal/social/occupational life. Besides, we should also encourage other Hindus around to live a dharmic life and propagate dharma at the social level.

I share your views on our dharmacharyas, specially on Sivaya Subramaniyaswami and the Acharyas of the tradition of Sankara. If only Sivaya Subramaniyaswami's Iraivan Temple and his religious establishment is in India!

In Bharat we really have a tremendous force of people who immerse themselves in the streams of bhakti, worshipping in temples, ashrams and singing bhajans. What we need is the focus from our dharmacharyas having a common media--print, electronic and visual--that reaches at grassroot levels and educate our people on their dharma, encourage them with performance incentives and even dharmic jobs for a living.

willie
04 June 2007, 09:38 PM
More talking and little else.

Religion has always changed over the years and the religious practices of today were unheard of just a few years ago. So who can say that these protests are not just growing pains for the next big change to come.

Christianity went through a lot of wars to change and, hopefully, india will not have to endure that. But if it comes to that they it will happen.

A lot of the problem is that people want the change, they are tired of wornoiut holymen saying the same old thing, while they go hungry and poor. At some point they get tired and catch on and force change upon religion, like it or not. Look at islam, for the last 400 years it has survived by playing one group against the other and letting warfare keep the clergy in charge. And what has happened for the people , well not much.

Religious wars kill a lot of people and both sides thing brahman is on their side. If the population cannot learn from the past then they are doomed to repeat it every few years.

sm78
05 June 2007, 01:36 AM
Namaste Willie,

Have you read the OP and the context. Somehow I feel your post is saying something entirely different from what Saidevo and myself were talking about.

But then your dose of sarcasm often trumps my own ~ so maybe you are replying to the right thread.