PDA

View Full Version : Teachers.

sm78
04 June 2007, 01:55 AM
Which teacher of Sanatana Dharma have influenced you most in this life??

For me apart from shaktibad swami the 2 other names are:-

Sivaya Subramaniyaswami.
The Shankara Paramparas in general (those who have stayed within the parampara that is).

This is not to get a gauge such things as which teacher is most influential etc., but just for a better acquaintance with ourselves and posters of this forum.

saidevo
04 June 2007, 10:16 PM
Apart from Bhagavan Satya Sai Baba, the two teachers who have influenced me most are:

1. Ramana Maharshi
2. Kanchi Paramacharya (Sri Chandrasekharendra Sarasvati)

mirabai
04 June 2007, 11:05 PM
For me, the Lord has been my greatest teacher all my life. Years ago in constant tears I asked the Lord for nearness to Him and He
has given me Sanatana Dharma. When I asked to know Him He poured out multitudes of wise souls all around me.
One such, a dear Hindu friend some years ago, then readings from Paramhansa Yogananda, Swami Vinekananda, and Satguru Subramuniyaswami; Sage Valmiki for giving me the beloved Ramayana. Chants and meditation from RaviShankar plus others who perhaps unknowingly helped and instructed and encouraged my path.
Not to forget HinduDharmaForums posts so full of knowledge and experience I do not see how I can possibly come to the end of it.
When we earnestly seek, teaching seems to come from every molecule of existence. Once I have had a taste of learning and become fit to learn at Guru's feet, I know He will appear.

Agnideva
05 June 2007, 11:04 AM
Namaste.

Which teacher of Sanatana Dharma have influenced you most in this life??
I have been most influenced by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami, and the Saivite philosophy of monistic theism (advaita ishvaravada).

Other gurus whose writings have significantly influenced me are:
1. Swami Vivekananda
2. Swami Krishnananda
3. Maharshi Dayanand of Arya Samaj (mostly for his rational and lucid thought, and not doctrine)

This list is anything but complete.

When we earnestly seek, teaching seems to come from every molecule of existence. Once I have had a taste of learning and become fit to learn at Guru's feet, I know He will appear.
What a beautiful statement, Mirabai. I could not agree with you more.

OM Shanti,
A.

saidevo
05 June 2007, 12:05 PM
Namaste Mirabai.

You echo and probably have some essence of Lord Dattatreya who saw a guru in practically everything and enumerated a list of his twenty-four gurus: earth, air, sky or ether, water, fire, sun, moon, python, pigeons, sea, moth, bee, bull elephant, bear, deer, fish, osprey, a child, a maiden, a courtesan, a blacksmith, serpent, spider, and wasp. The 24 Gurus of Dattateya come from the 24 gurus of Avadhut described in the Purana.

Kaos
07 June 2007, 04:05 AM
At this moment, I would consider my "teachers" would be Lord Shiva, the goddess Kali, the serpent, the stone, flower, etc.

Yes, they are not mere "teachers" in the ordinary sense, they didn't write and publish books or maybe they did, who knows, but I just don't see the difference.

sm78
07 June 2007, 07:10 AM
Maybe I should have added the qualifier "human" in my question.:D Yes Gods, Plants, stones are the great teachers indeed...

Znanna
07 June 2007, 07:26 PM
Maybe I should have added the qualifier "human" in my question.:D Yes Gods, Plants, stones are the great teachers indeed...

Thank you.

ZN