PDA

View Full Version : In the scriptures, are there any methods given to improve memory and learning?

conquersex
30 November 2018, 08:01 AM
Hello all. This is my first post on HDF as I am a new account. Please move this thread to the appropriate forum if this is not the place for it.

I have noticed that memory plays a huge part in advancing in the religion of Hinduism. Having a strong memory is very advantageous in this pursuit. If one has a strong memory one can -

1. Recall specific verses from the scriptures at a moment's notice. This helps by being able to compare multiple verses and absorb their meaning better in the consciousness. Also the tedious work of referring to a book or a website is eliminated.

2. Chant stotrams or mantras without needing to read while chanting.

3. Remember the sources of the various teachings that come into mind. This is more important than it seems, because many times when we are trying to make a decision a particular moral or saying will pop into mind. In deciding whether to take it as authoritative or not, we need to know where we learnt this moral from.

4. Remember events of our life in detail so that we can relive them later and analyze them minutely from a vedic perspective. For eg. an argument that happened can later be analyzed and one can know whether one was right or wrong in their stance by checking from the scriptures.

There are probably many more benefits. So my question is, how to improve the strength of one's memory, rate of learning, retention capacity, retention time, and any other aspects related to memory that you can think of? Are there any ways specified in the scriptures especially for this purpose? I imagine that just associating with vedic culture like regularly chanting the Hare Krishna mahamantra and following the rules and regulations laid down by saints such as Srila Prabhupada does wonders for the strength of the mind and memory, but I'd like to have targeted tips.

P.S - I did a search by title on 'memory' and 'improving memory' but couldn't find a thread related to this topic on the whole of this website. Sorry if this is a duplicate, please point me to the earlier thread.

Thank you! Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare.

Believer
28 December 2018, 10:25 AM
Namaste,

I have never seen anything on this topic in the scriptures but common sense dictates that performing mental gymnastics might help. If every day you try to remember and list everything you did and felt on the previous day in as vivid detail as you can and then extending the exercise to the day before might help in pushing your memory to remember details and thus sharpen it. Others may have additional pointers at a practical level.

Pranam.