PDA

View Full Version : Namaste

Nachiketa
10 June 2007, 09:06 PM
My pranams to all of you,
i have been a regular but silent browser of this forum for the past year or so. My sincere thanks to all of you for opening up my latent spiritual tendencies. Some of you are Sadhus and it is indeed a privilege to be in such an august forum. My scriptural knowledge is negligible.
I am a monist at heart and am here to 'Seek That by Knowing which Everything is Known'( to paraphrase a quote from one of the Scriptures).
Namo Namaha
Nachiketa

Agnideva
10 June 2007, 09:47 PM
My pranams to all of you,
i have been a regular but silent browser of this forum for the past year or so. My sincere thanks to all of you for opening up my latent spiritual tendencies. Some of you are Sadhus and it is indeed a privilege to be in such an august forum. My scriptural knowledge is negligible.
I am a monist at heart and am here to 'Seek That by Knowing which Everything is Known'( to paraphrase a quote from one of the Scriptures).
Namo Namaha
Nachiketa

Namaste Nachiketa, and welcome :). How fortuitous that we have been discussing the Katha Upanishad, and we should have a new member called Nachiketa! Feel free to add to our discussions here, ask questions, etc.

OM Shanti,
A.

Nachiketa
11 June 2007, 11:21 AM
Thank You Agnideva and Satay

yajvan
11 June 2007, 12:47 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namate Nachiketa,
A most famous name of the sadhu in the Katha Upanishad.
May your quests be as profound as those given to Yama.

welcome...

Nachiketa
11 June 2007, 05:02 PM
Thank you for the encouragement Yajvan....could you please tell me what does 'Yajvan' mean
My salutations to you
Nachiketa

yajvan
11 June 2007, 07:36 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Thank you for the encouragement Yajvan....could you please tell me what does 'Yajvan' mean
My salutations to you Nachiketa

Namaste Nachiketa,
yajvan is rooted in yajya, one that performs sacrifices. The greatest Yajya, is that is of Purusa, who gave Himself to create this Universe.
Now this yajvan has double meaning... Homan and Havan, or agnihotra
is one of the 'sacrificial fires' performed by pundits, priests and the like.
Another 'sacrifice' is that of transcending, giving-up the relative field
of existence (the 3 guna's) and being absorbed in the SELF.
The goal in each case is to be self-less, and become SELF-full.

We all give with each breath we take. The whole veda is based upon yajya, as that is how creation, this give and take unfolds.

Krsna ( Jagadguru of the universe) does the most superb job of talking of Yajya in the Bhagavad gita, chapt 3.

And with this question, you are true to your name, insightful questions, profound and innocent in nature.

pranams,

Nachiketa
12 June 2007, 02:27 AM
Once again Sri Yajvan,
I can only thank my stars.....for being at the receiving end of such jnana
A whiff of the Purusha Sukta's significance can be had from the following link http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/invoc/in_pur.html.
Thank You
Nachiketa

yajvan
12 June 2007, 08:25 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Once again Sri Yajvan,
A whiff of the Purusha Sukta's significance can be had from the following link http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/invoc/in_pur.html.
Thank You Nachiketa

Namaste,
A most wonderful vision of risi Narayana-muni,

"When (there being no external material other than the Purusha) the Devas performed a universal sacrifice (in contemplation by mind), with the Purusha Himself as the sacred offering, the spring season was the clarified butter, summer the fuel, autumn the oblation. They set up for sacrifice the Purusha as the object in their meditation, Him who was, prior to all creation, and they, the Devas, Sadhyas and Rishis, performed (this first sacrifice). "

another reference point if you wish to read a bit more on HDF:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12339&postcount=1

pranams,