PDA

View Full Version : Ganesha - Lord of Obsticles

yajvan
14 June 2007, 11:26 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~
Om Gam Ganapatyae Namaha

Namaste
I have noticed not much is discussed of Ganesha. Perhaps if you wish to contribute here we can share some knowledge of Him.

Many know the story of how Ganesha got his head of on elephant so I will not bother with this. Let me offer a few points for ones consideration.

Lets consider His name, Ganesha. Gana+isa. Gana = 'hosts, or multitudes, some say categories' + isa= 'lord or ruler'

So Ganesha is the lord/ruler of the multitudes, of the categories. And we know him as Ganapati - same gana + pati or lord. [ I will list out a few more names below as they align nicely the the Jyotish rasi's].

Yet if we take a look at Gana, and take it's two syllables, we have Ga = wisdom ( the root syllable in jnana, and its root jna = to know.) + 'na' or liberation. Hence another principle of Ga+na+pati as the lord of wisdom that brings moksha.

Yet this Gana, or categories - what of this? - Lord of what categories or groups? That would be humans, animals, Devas, mantra's as a group, hymns and samhitas, galaxies, clusters, etc. Lord of Groups, of categories, of order we visually see. This Gana+ pati brings order from dis-order by His intelligence.

We also know Ganesa as Vinayaka: Vi = apart + the root of naya, a beautiful word/syllable we know as regulating, controlling an order or discipline. We also now naya as a standpoint, or opinion. When put together we get a leader or guide, one in charge of showing the way. Also kinda like vi+ni + nayati or to lead or drive away. From this we get Vinayaka as the 'Lord of obstacles'.

It is interesting to note that Vinayaka is the remover and the creator of obstacles… He can operate at the beginning of any endeavor, and many propitiate Ganesha/Vinayaka at the beginning of activities. He is first visited when one goes into a temple of Siva, to come and acknowledge Vinayaka first (Adi Devata).

Ganesha has many more names as you know. In the science of Jyotish, Ganesha plays an important role. As the native runs into obstacles due to badak signs ( obstacles). For each rasi/sign Ganesh is assigned a position, from Aries first to Pisces last.

Pending the rasi that is causing the obstacle there is Ganesh's mantra for each badaka position. For now, lets list out the names for each :Vakratundha starts with Aries, and Gajananam, ends with Pisces.

For the next post , we can point out what the Narada Purana says about gaining help and winning favor of Ganesha.

Vakratundha - One with the twisted trunk
Ekadantam - One with a single tusk
Krsnapingaksam - One with the dark brown eyes
Gajavakratram - One with the elephant’s mouth
Lambodaram - The potbellied one
Vikatam - The Grotesque one
Vighnarajam - King of obstacles
Dhumravarnam - The smoke colored one
Balacandram - The Moon-crested one
Vinayakam - The remover of obstacles
Gajapatim - Lord of the multitudes
Gajananam -One with the elephants facepranams,

yajvan
15 June 2007, 09:42 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Om Vakratunda mahakaya
Suryakoti samaprabha
Nirvighanam kurumedeva
Saravakaryesu sarvada

Namaste,
The above mantra asks for Sri Ganesa as Vakratunda , the one with the twisted trunk and mahakaya, or massive body, as brillant as a million suns (Suryakoti) to lead us on a path of no obstacles, clearing the path for all that we do.

So, many times we have obstacles and we don't no much why they are there, yet they are. Narada-muni recognizes this and suggest in the Narada Purana a Ganapati stotra to assist one in removing these obsticles.
Now what is of great import, Narada calls out 12 names of Ganesa. Why not 108? We have all 108 names, why not 51 ( another popular number).
The 12, correspond to the 12 signs of the zodiac, bha chakra, or the 12 signs ( called rasi's).

The logic is each house (Bhava) brings something to the native. All 12 houses are owned by Aditi and when there is a blemish in one of the houses, then there is an obstacle to receiving the blessings or punya ( fortune or favor) of that house ( bhava) or rasi (Sign). Like that we ask for Ganesa's help as Vighnaraja, king of obstacles, to assist and remove them; that is how this instruction goes. Here is what Narada uvaca (uttered or said):

pranNamya shirasA devaM gaurIputraM vinAyakaM |
bhaktAvaasaM smaren.h nityaM AyuH kAmArthasiddhaye || 1 ||

One should bow the head and offer obeisance before the son of Gauri, Vinayaka,
whose abode is the devotees, and remember Him always for the purpose of obtaining longevity, and desired objects (prosperity).

prathamam vakratundam cha ekadantam dvitIyakaM |
tritIyam kRishhnapngakshham gajavaktram chaturthakaM || 2 ||

(Now the twelve names of Ganesha are mentioned. One must utter)
First the name Vakratunda, One with a curved trunk, second ekadanta, the single-tusked One,
third Krishnapingaksha, the black and red-eyed One, fourth gajavaktra, the God with the face of an elephant,

lambodaraM panchamaM cha shhashhtham vikatameva cha |
saptamaM vighnarAjaM cha dhUmravarNaM tathAshhTamaM || 3 ||

fifth lambodara, the God with a large belly, sixth vikata, the gigantic One,
seventh vighnaraja, the Lord (and destroyer) of obstacles, dhumravarna, the smoky-colored God,

navamam bhalachandram cha dashamam tu vinAyakaM |
ekadasham gaNapatiM dvAdashaM tu gajAnanaM || 4 ||

ninth bhalachandra, One whose forehead is adorned by the moon, tenth, vinayaka,
the great leader (of Shiva's army), eleventh, ganapati, the lord of (Shiva's) ganas, and twelfth gajanana, the elephant-faced One.

dvadashaitani namani trisandhyam yah pathen.h naran |
na cha vighnabhayaM tasya sarvasiddhikaram prabho || 5 ||

Anyone who chants these twelve names during the three sandhyas (morning twilight, noon, evening twilight),
will not experience any obstacles, and will achieve all successes, O Lord (Ganesha)!

vidyArthI labhate vidyam dhanarthI labhate dhanam |
putrArthI labhate putrAn.h mokshhArthI labhate gatim || 6 ||

One who desires knowledge (vidyA) gets it; one who desires wealth gets it;
one who desires sons will have sons; one who desires moksha attains it.

japed.h gaNapatistotraM shhaDbhir.h mAsaiH phalaM labhet.h |
saMvatsareNa siddhiM cha labhate nAtra saMshayaH || 7 ||

One gets desired results if this Ganapati stotra is chanted everyday for six months; a
complete success is assured undoubtedly, within a year.

ashhtabhyo brAhmaNebhyashcha likhitva yah samarpayet.h |
tasya vidya bhavet.h sarva ganeshasya prasadatah || 8 ||

Anyone who writes this stotra and presents it to eight Brahmins,
will obtain all kinds of knowledge, by the grace of Lord Ganesha.

iti naradapurane sankatanashanaganeshastotram sampurnam ||

pranams,

p.s. the writing of Ganesha's name that apears on the zodiac chakra ( the 12 signs) with the proper name for each sign given to 8 Brahmins, is advisable if one follows this approach. Those that wish to see this, I will be happy to send you the yantra with this laid out properly... Please, Only the serious consider this offer... just being casually inquisitive will not bare fruit.

Ganeshprasad
15 June 2007, 03:01 PM
Jai Ganesh
Pranam yajvan

Thank you for bringing up the topic on Lord Ganesh

Perhaps the most adorable devata in Vedic tradition and I have always been thought to propitiate Ganesha/Vinayaka at the beginning of activities, although he is the lord of obstacles I have never associated him in any way to have placed impediment on any event perhaps someone may prove me wrong.

As well as present in Shiva temple he is present also in Vishnu temple a common link between the two tradition (sad to see or lack of presence in iskcon)

I believe his worship is more prominent in MP state I was privileged to witness a grand procession many years ago in Indore on Ganesh chaturtihi, has left an impression on me which I remember with fond memory, the police chasing us because we had an audacity to climb a toll building for a birds eye view.

Shree Vyasdev took his service to scribe the Shastra, many people visit their cave, way past Badrinath.

There is also a tradition in jaganath Puri to dress lord Jaganath and Baladev as Ganesh on snanYatra day.
Glad to see one tradition even Iskcon observe, the past time of Lord Jaganath so dear to Goranga Mahaprabhu.

Jai Ganesh Jai Ganesh Jai Ganesh Deva Mata jena Parvati ne Pita Shanker Deva
Jai Shree Krishna

yajvan
15 June 2007, 03:19 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Jai Ganesh
Perhaps the most adorable devata in Vedic tradition and I have always been thought to propitiate Ganesha/Vinayaka at the beginning of activities, although he is the lord of obstacles I have never associated him in any way to have placed impediment on any event perhaps someone may prove me wrong.
Jai Ganesh Jai Ganesh Jai Ganesh Deva Mata jena Parvati ne Pita Shanker Deva
Jai Shree Krishna

Namaste Ganeshprasad,
Valid points made.. as I see it, Lord of Obstacles, He owns the total package. Now, let me explain my POV with an example. I think of the police man directing traffic. For the pedestrian (sadhu) crossing the street He 'impedes' his progress to avoid an accident.

He then stops traffic in one direction, allows the sadhu to cross ( removes the obstacle to his forward motion); yet the stack of cars stopped have been impeded to avoid a crash. Like that Vinayaka has this 'trafficking' wisdom to meter out the rhythm of traffic ( life, progress). From one angle is looks as if an obstacle has been created, yet to the other person, the obstacle has been removed. So is the wisdom applied of Siddhidayakaya ( the bestower of of success), Ganesa.

pranams,

Ganeshprasad
15 June 2007, 04:23 PM
Jai Ganesh

Pranam yajvan

Lord Ganesh definitely has bestowed his wisdom on to you, thank you for the above post. I like the simple but concise explanation.

Jai Shree Krishna