PDA

View Full Version : This Love...

yajvan
15 June 2007, 09:51 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=12931#post12931)
"Love everyone, everything", is an ideal, a saintly quality. However, while in contact with material nature, there comes a time, when one must drawn the lines.

In the Bhagavad Gita, even Krishna, was a charioteer for His friend Arjuna, in the Battle of Kuruksetra.

Namaste Kaos, I thought it would be good to start with a fresh post.

A very insightful post... Many have a 'feel' of what love is; all know it when they see it. Yet we on HDF have not explored it as a conversation. We as humans are expected to know this love almost as a pre-requisite... as if someone mentions it and people nod Oh , yes this love is a great thing. Yet each nod has a different view point, passion, and experience of this love.

If one watched TV and came to the conclusion based upon the acts we see on TV , I think we would agree that is NOT it.
Many say Love is God. That very well may be, yet it does not help us (me) comprehend the welling-up of emotion, of happiness , that accompanies this feeling.

So, to define this emotion, this feeling I think is to help with the conversation.

I have some views on this, so let me start. It does not even suggest that I am right, but for me, at this level of development, it 'feels' right. So let me give it a go, again not lecturing, just the experiences of life and being attentive to this 'feeling'.

For me, love is the highest level of appreciation one can have for another... I stop at another because love/appreciation as I see it is not limited to a another human. Many love their pets, their cars, etc. This appreciation gets to the feeling I have, but still requires and few more additions.
With this appreciation, one can then adore what one appreciates. So, for me some of the components when one adores+appreciates this thing of love, then there is an intimacy that is desired, a closeness, to know this love intimately.

Now I revert back to the saint that loves all - this can happen when one knows Brahman, the All. Then every-thing is known intimately as an extension of ones SELF. This robust love is then a daily natural thing and not contrived, no pretending to love all... it is just a natural thing.

I can only think of the first mantra of the Rig Ved - it says agnim ile... Agni I adore.
The first words for all the veda's start with the highest level of appreciation of Agni, Divine will. This is because the rishi Madhuchandis has intimate connection with this Divine Will in him, in his consciousness.

Until that time we need to do the best we can with this love of all things, and the help of yama and niyama to assist.

pranams,

saidevo
17 June 2007, 10:17 AM
Bhagavan Das in his book The Science of the Emotions, gives this analysis of human emotions and feelings:

All manifested existence may be analysed into the Self, the Not-Self, and the Relationship between these two.

That Relationship may be divided into (1)Cognition (Gnyânam): (2)Desire (Ichchâ): (3)Action (Kriyâ). To know, to desire, and to endeavour or act — those three comprise the whole of conscious life.

Feeling or emotion is of two kinds — pleasurable or painful. Pleasure, fundamentally a sense of moreness, produces attraction, love (ragâ): pain, fundamentally a sense of lessness, produces repulsion, hate (dvesha).

From attraction proceed all love-emotions: from repulsion proceed all hate-emotions. All emotions arise from love or hate, or from both, in varying degrees of intensity.

The precise nature of a particular emotion is also determined by the relationship between the one who experiences the emotion and the object which is the occasion of the emotion. The one who experiences the emotion may be, so far as the circumstances connected with the particular emotion are concerned, (1) Greater than: (2) Equal to: or (3) Less than the object.

Pursuing this analysis, we arrive at the six possible types of emotion-elements given in column three of the table appended. Column four gives sub-divisions of the primary elements in varying degrees of intensity, the strongest being at the head and the weakest at the foot of each group.

All human emotions consist of one of these six emotion-elements, or, more frequently, of two or more of them combined together.

(http://www.theosophical.ca/AstralBodyByPowell-B.htm#25)

If every emotion is a question of manifestation in subtle astral matter, in what way the Reverential components of Love in the chart are superior to others? In what way any shade of love for that matter is better than the shades of hate? Why is one of the two poles considered superior and the other inferior?

The answer seems to lie in the thought that forms the origin of the feeling or emotion. This may be a fresh thought arising at the moment, conscious to the thinker, or another thought that bubbles up from the vAsanAs (impressions) stored in chitta, similar to the physical reflex action. It is the degree of unselfishness that decides the quality of the emotion. At the apex is altruistic love. Any shade of love based on reverence/affection/benevolence is good to the world and spiritually conducive to the seeker depending on the degree of unselfishness that drives it. Where it is selfish, possessive, and conditional the emotion of love is neither spiritually conducive nor good for the world. Shades of hate have always selfishness as their base and so are never good or spiritually conducive.

How is the spiritual conduciveness determined? By the frequency of vibration of the subtle matter that the thought/feeling/emotion manifests in. The astral plane has matter in seven states, just like the physical plane. They are the astral equivalents of the physical states: solid, liquid, gaseous and four shades of etheric matter.

Higher emotions maifest in finer matter with greater frequency of vibration and add lustre to the astral and mental bodies that shows up in the physical body as tejas (brightness and health). Lofty thoughts form the base of higher emotions. Since man is basically a thinker, he needs first to streamline his mind in his quest for Truth.

sm78
18 June 2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks Saidevo...indeed unselfishness is the key element here.