PDA

View Full Version : One's birth day...which one?

yajvan
22 June 2007, 02:15 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

When one is born we typically know the day... and this is one's birth day and recognize it one time per year. For jyotish we also note the time of birth, the place, and the location's longitude / latitude, in degrees.

Each year one returns to the date of birth, lets say July 17th. Yet we as Jyotishi's are also interested with two other 'returns', that is the Sun's exact location in degrees on the day of ones natal arrival here. Another 'return' of the sun and moon's position (the tithi) that equals the same tithi ( or angle between the sun and moon, and we give the tithi's names) that is the same as one on the original natal birth.

What is interesting , these 3 events do not always fall on the same day:
Birth day - will always be July 17th, year in and year out, yet;
Varshphal is the name we give to the sun's exact return to the exact angle it was originally, on ones natal birth. Some Jyotishi's call this Tajaka also.
Tithi Pravish is the the exact angle between the sun and the moon on ones original birthday.

So for one's birthday we bake a cake! for Varshphal and Tithi Pravish we recast ones horoscope for the coming year, because at these times, it is the 'rebirth of the native' for the coming year. This is the predictive part of Jyotish that people find of value.

The sun and moon are the luminaries of the Graha's, the King and Minister, if you will, of one's horoscope. Looking at their yearly positions and where all the other graha's now reside or transited/moved to with refererence to Surya and Chandra, gives a clue to the coming years prognosis.

Because the sun is karaka of the 1st house, the karaka of the atman, health, the eyes, overall well-being, etc. it plays a key role in one's life, so looking at the coming year from this perspective is helpful. The 1st house is very important to the whole chart as it is a trine and an angle ( Trikona and Kendra) and is indicitive of the individual. As is the graha that owns this sign.

Add in the moon, which is karaka for emotions, the mind, home, mother,relationship, instinct, etc. + the sun , you have tithi pravish to consider for what the new year will bring.

So, each year one's chart will change, there will be a different ascendant (or lagna as we call it). Have you noticed that years are different? This is the experience, the influence, as the grahas align differently for the native each year. There are specific rules for Varshaphal and Tithi Pravish, and we needn't pursue unless there is interest.

Example
Original Birth info: Born July 17th, 1970, at 3 PM in the afternoon.; sun is 2 degrees Cancer; Tithi at birth = Krisha Dwadasi.

So for the person born July 17th, 1970, has the following info for 2008:
Birth day - July 17th , yet ;
Varshapal = July 18th, at 5 PM ( when the sun is exactly at 2 degrees in Cancer, the exact position on the original date of birth, and;
Tithi Pravish - August 9th - the location where the sun and the moon are in the same thihi as found on the original birth day , in this case Krisha Dwadasi.
This information changes yearly - some times the Tithi Pravesh is closer to July 17, sometimes not... its the movement of the moon that influences the angle....same with the sun and the progression of the equinoxes that influence its exact angle ( more if interested ).

Now if we went deeper, it would not be too unusual to have all the graha's in the same rasi of the original birth chart, but highly unusual if they where in the same degree as the original birth chart ( I have not seen this, but also I have not seen every birth chart !).

Next, Dasa periods also recycle to their original dasa period of birth... this is not likely with Vimshottari dasa as this is a 120 year cycle, but other dasa periods do in fact 'replay' - Like Narayan Dasa , Drig data, etc.

This tells the jyotish that one part of a person's life if coming to a conclusion and new one is to begin. A good example would be a person going from householder to sanyasi...a major shift, things like this, can be seen if multiple dasa periods are re-cycling.

Smaller dasa periods also tells the jyotish of life's changes in the Vimshottari dasa and Narayan dasa systems - change of job, family, friends, location, health, things of that nature are indicated in these dasa systems... a most insightful approach that is unique to Vedic Astrology.

thought you would enjoy a few of these points on the first full day of summer!

pranams,

Znanna
22 June 2007, 05:55 PM
Namaste,

In my simple way of looking at things, the return of the whatever (cyclically) gives us a reason to reflect and resurrect/metamorphose ...

this is something I like to do in small ways, daily, as well :)

ZN

yajvan
22 June 2007, 06:13 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

In my simple way of looking at things, the return of the whatever (cyclically) gives us a reason to reflect and resurrect/metamorphose ...

this is something I like to do in small ways, daily, as well :) ZN

Namaste ZN,
I was just thinking, this 'refection' is what makes us different then the fauna and flora that surrounds us all. This does not infer better, as I can not swim faster then a sailfish, fly like a bird, or withstrand 100 below temperatures like a oak tree. Yet with this reflection I can come to know God, we can ponder how these birds fly, swim and withstand the climate; then refect on how we can do these things too.