PDA

View Full Version : 2nd House - Significance

Arvind Sivaraman
25 June 2007, 11:58 PM
Om Shird Sai Ram.
Namaste.

2nd House
Succedant, Markasthana, Eyes

Stands for: Wealth, death, speech, family, vision, education, learning, right eye, self-acquisition, face, material welfare, second marriage, teacher, lawyers, banker, bonds, security, stocks & shares, friends, documents, mortgages, negotiable & changeable assets, bank balance, gold, silver, ruby, pearls, money matters, acquisition by self efforts, wordly attainments.

yajvan
26 June 2007, 12:28 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Om Shird Sai Ram.
Namaste.
2nd House
Succedant, Markasthana, Eyes

Namaste Arvind,
thank you for the efforts of putting this information on HDF for others to consider. Are you open to suggestions? Many on HDF are beginners to Jyotish. There will be a higher appreciation level and perhaps comprehension level, if the definitions or explanations to new words are offered to the reader.

I will assume that is your goal? To to pass on this wonderful knowledge to those that are interested. ( if I am remiss then please advise accordingly).

With new worlds like Succedant, Markasthana, I will assume the avg. HDF reader does not know what these mean...can you help out and supply the definitions?

dhanyavadah,

Arvind Sivaraman
26 June 2007, 11:05 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste Arvind,
thank you for the efforts of putting this information on HDF for others to consider. Are you open to suggestions? Many on HDF are beginners to Jyotish. There will be a higher appreciation level and perhaps comprehension level, if the definitions or explanations to new words are offered to the reader.

I will assume that is your goal? To to pass on this wonderful knowledge to those that are interested. ( if I am remiss then please advise accordingly).

With new worlds like Succedant, Markasthana, I will assume the avg. HDF reader does not know what these mean...can you help out and supply the definitions?

dhanyavadah,

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Yajvan.
I thank you for the advice.
Marakasthana : Meaning the House which indicates Death.
Succedant : I presume the House which indicates success.

yajvan
28 June 2007, 09:22 PM
Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Marakasthana : Meaning the House which indicates Death.
Succedant : I presume the House which indicates success.

Namaste Arvind (et .al).
Thank you for your post... yes, the marakasthna = a house that indicates death. More on this in another post.
I thought with you're OK, I would help out on a few definitions as we find our way from the 1 house (bhava) to the 12 bhava.

This term succedant is of interest... it means the 'following or succeeding' - or just means the next one.
Now what does this have to do with the 2nd house.... Here's the deal.
The signs and houses are grouped in to 3 classifications, 4 houses each. These are called movable , fixed and dual ( some call common), lets review them and see how this succedant fits in.

The first set
The first set of houses are called chara or movable. They are the 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th. These happen to be ruled by Brahma... this is just extra info and not presented for any other reason, other then information overload!

The second set
These houses are the 2nd, 5th, 8th and 11th. These houses are called fixed or sthira. Note they follow or succeed the first set. Note the 2nd house comes after the 1st, the 5th house comes after the 4th and the 8 house comes after the 7th, and finally the 11house comes after the 10th.
That is the reason the word succedant is use. More importantly, these houses are fixed or sthira and owned by Siva.

The third set
These are 3rd, 6th, 9th, and the 12th house. These are called dual or dwiswabhava. People some times call these cadents. These dual houses are owned by Visnu.

So who's who???
The movable signs or rasi's are Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn
The fixed rasi's are Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius
The Dual rasi's are Gemini, Sagittarius, Virgo and Pisces.

These designations are also known in Western astrology as
Cardinal - or that upon all else depends = movable signs and houses 1,4,7, and 10th.
Fixed - or that which is acted upon = fixed rasi's of 2,5,8 and 11th bhava , also now known as Succedant, or 'after' the first set of movable houses.
Mutable - or that which effects the change of forces = our dual or common signs , 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th bhava's or houses. Also known as cadents - that is keeping in cadence! like in marching, keep cadence from the movable + fixed , what is next? the cadent signs of the 3rd, 6th, 9th ands 12th.

In jyotish movable signs are dynamic , are with action and dynamism, hence moving or chara. The signs where creative impulses happen - perfect for Brahma the creator!
Fixed or sthira bhavas or rasi's are stable, fixed. constant. - Perfect for Siva's impulses.
Dual or Dwiswabhava rasi's are of a combination of moving and fixed quality....the perfect sign for Vsnu as the maintainer eh?

So of what use are these? when viewing ones chart it helps the Jyotisha understand the nature the graha's take-on or participate in, while in these bhavas. Case in point, 4 of the graha's reside in Cancer in my chart. Cancer is a movable sign. Jupiter is in Aries, Rahu in Capricorn and Mars is in Libra. That means 6 out of 9 graha's [ or 66% ]are in movable signs.
How does that influence me? I have moved multiple times (around 15 times) in multiple states across the country. Many of my jobs required me to travel. And I have had multiple jobs in multiple industries, and have mutiple interests in knowledge and multiple skills. The graha's of Sun, Venus, Ketu and Mercury in the 9th provide this influence.

Look to someone with houses in fixed signs... I have a friend that has lived in the same town, moved once, lived with his mom for the greater part of 55 years. Fixed, one place, grounded. And grounded in his thinking ( as his moon/mind resides in this fixed rasi). This is neither good or bad, just an example of the grah's influence.

This helps the Jyotishi understand the influence of the house on the graha and the graha's ( and the karaka or significator) influence on the native.

Now is that all there is ? surely not. We know signs and houses that are sattvic, rajas and tamasic; We know they own directions (E,W,N,S), we know them by their tattva : fire, water, air and earth ( tajas, apa, vayu and prithivi (some call bhu), and as we talked akasha is found in each and every sign as it is the space that allows creation to happen.

We also know these houses as rising head first, tail first our both ( that would be pisces) - So who cares? A head first sign gives the expected result in the 1st half of their dasa period and tail, the last half. Both tail and head or pisces, gives the results of its dasa period throughout... I have heard also in the middle of the dasa period.

Houses or bhavas are known by Kendras, and Kona's - angles and trines.
Angles are 1,4,7 and 10th houses; Kona's are trines the 1st 5th and 9th houses...most excellent houses owned by by Lakshmi. And She too has a special Lagna called Sri Lagna. Note the lagna , the 1st house is both a trine and an angle. that is why the 1st house is of great import and the lord of that house is also favorable. Where that 1st house lord resides is considered another Lagna called Paka Lagna. Very important house as it holds the the lord of the a trine and angle.

Lets stop here and this only scratches the surface to this most worthy science. We can continue this in some additional posts, so they stay on the short side for reading and comprehension.

For those that wish to read more HDF Posts on this subect , please consider the following:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=742
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1421
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1607
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1336

data eka räma bhikäri sari duniyä - the giver is the one Rama, the world is a beggar.

pranams,

Arvind Sivaraman
28 June 2007, 11:50 PM
Case in point, 4 of the graha's reside in Cancer in my chart. Cancer is a movable sign. Jupiter is in Aires, Rahu in Capricorn and Mars is in Libra. That means 6 out of 9 graha's [ or 66% ]are in movable signs.
How does that influence me? I have moved multiple times ( around 15 times) in multiple states across the country. Many of my jobs required me to travel. And I have had multiple jobs in multiple industries, and hve mutiple interests in knowledge and multiple skills. Look to someone with houses in fixed signs... I ha ve a friend that has lived in the same town, moved once, lifed with him mom for the greater part of 55 years. Fixed, one place, gounded. And gounded in his thinking ( as his moon/mind resides in this fixed rasi).

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Yajvan.

Thank you for the insight provided.
In my opinion, though 4 grahas reside in a single house ie;cancer, the Lagna plays an important role.
The Yoga Karaka for a Lagna, and the placement of that planet in a particular house determines whether one will be on the move constantly (Movable - Chara) or be stationed in one place for a long time (Fixed - Sthira) or will have a mix of both periodically.(Dual - Madhya).
The rise of Ascendent and placement of planets also differs at times according to Ayanamsa of Lahiri,B.V.Raman,Krishnamurthy Padhathi.
Hence only after the careful erection of the Horoscope based on Date of Birth,Place of Birth and Time of Birth can an analysis be done.

yajvan
29 June 2007, 09:36 AM
Thank you for the insight provided.
In my opinion, though 4 grahas reside in a single house ie;cancer, the Lagna plays an important role.
The Yoga Karaka for a Lagna, and the placement of that planet in a particular house determines whether one will be on the move constantly (Movable - Chara) or be stationed in one place for a long time (Fixed - Sthira) or will have a mix of both periodically.(Dual - Madhya).
The rise of Ascendent and placement of planets also differs at times according to Ayanamsa of Lahiri,B.V.Raman,Krishnamurthy Padhathi.
Hence only after the careful erection of the Horoscope based on Date of Birth,Place of Birth and Time of Birth can an analysis be done.

Namaste Arvind,
yes a good critique of the condition... one thing I would mention,
Cancer as a movable sign does not change based upon lagna. I know you are not suggesting this. Now, Lagna in this case (me) is Scorpio. That makes Cancer the rasi, the 9th bhava or house.

Much can be said about the 'movement' of what the 9th house brings for me. But here is the wisdom of the jyotishi's not given out regualarly. Where is the Lagna lord in this chart? It is in the 12 house, and the 12 house is now Paka lagna. That makes Cancer the sign (rasi) the 10th house (bhava). Now what does 10th house suggest? one's career.
And in a movable (chara) rasi, it clearly suggests movement and travel. And the 9th house gives rasi dristi to the 4th house (home). So travel and relocation for career purposes, and later for spiritual purposes are indicated ( via the 9th and 10th house postions of Cancer).

Now when do these things occur? One looks to Narayana Dasa.

More can be said, as we have not even touched on yogada and maha yogada. A slight difference then yoga karaka. Not to mention the lagna lord in the 12 house. Many would decry this position of Lagesh in the 12th. Yet for the spiritually inclinded, it is a blessing, being in a moksha house, AND a house of loss. What is to be lost? The ego. It is the house of sleep a.k.a. meditation. The lagna lord in the 12th also indicates early retirement from the normal householder's way, to pursue spiritual matters [ for me this has started ].

Your analysis is good, and thank you for your insights.

Arvind Sivaraman
30 June 2007, 12:54 AM
Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste.

Though away from the main topic,could you please throw light on:
1)What is Arudha Lagna and how to derive at it?
2)What is upapada and how to derive at it?

yajvan
30 June 2007, 09:59 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste.

Though away from the main topic,could you please throw light on:
1)What is Arudha Lagna and how to derive at it?
2)What is upapada and how to derive at it?

Namaste Arvind,
Yes, lets do this... good questions..the Arudha is very very important... lets start with that first, then Upapada
& the 11 upagraha's

I will post a seperately on this and spend time on Arudha, the 'reflection'.

pranams,