PDA

View Full Version : Nirjala Ekadasi

Ganeshprasad
26 June 2007, 12:24 PM
Pranam everyone

It seems all of us, or at least some of us are fasting to day for Bhim (nirjala) Ekadasi hence not much activities

Happy fasting for those who endeavor to keep full fast.

Jai Shree Krishna

Ganeshprasad
26 June 2007, 12:29 PM
Jai Ganesh

Nirjala Ekadasi other wise know as Bhim Ekadasi, it is said one who observes this day and fast without water on this day is absolve from sins of not fasting on other Ekadasi days.

One of the story, as much as I can remember is that on this auspicious day Bhim set out to take a bath in the river. Mother Kunti reminds Bhim of the ekadashi and reminds him to observe it but Bhim as we all know liked his food too much so he is pleading with his mother and asks her to prepare Khichdi on his return from daily routine, he kept thinking of food and keep convincing himself that he can not fast but the lord had other ideas for him.

On the way to the river, Bhim meets with a Siva pujari who is lamenting how difficult it is for him to bring jal (water)for the lord, so Bhim true to pandavs nature obliged to help and he does not do any thing in small measure, he spreads himself across the stream of water and diverted it to come pass the temple, he lay there all day, thinking of going home and eat but he could not forsake his task and the pujari never came to relieve him.
This is how much I remember; please feel free to correct me.

Jai Shree Krishna

atanu
27 June 2007, 10:13 AM
Jai Ganesh

Nirjala Ekadasi other wise know as Bhim Ekadasi, it is said one who observes this day and fast without water on this day is absolve from sins of not fasting on other Ekadasi days.

One of the story, as much as I can remember is that on this auspicious day Bhim set out to take a bath in the river. Mother Kunti reminds Bhim of the ekadashi and reminds him to observe it but Bhim as we all know liked his food too much so he is pleading with his mother and asks her to prepare Khichdi on his return from daily routine, he kept thinking of food and keep convincing himself that he can not fast but the lord had other ideas for him.

On the way to the river, Bhim meets with a Siva pujari who is lamenting how difficult it is for him to bring jal (water)for the lord, so Bhim true to pandavs nature obliged to help and he does not do any thing in small measure, he spreads himself across the stream of water and diverted it to come pass the temple, he lay there all day, thinking of going home and eat but he could not forsake his task and the pujari never came to relieve him.
This is how much I remember; please feel free to correct me.

Jai Shree Krishna

Namaste Ganesh Ji,

I can only say 'Bechara Bhim'. God's ways are inscrutable.

Om