PDA

View Full Version : The Arudha - Pada Lagna

yajvan
30 June 2007, 02:17 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
Arvind asked about a few jyotish items...

The Arudha - this post
The Upapada - future post
Upagraha's - future post
I would like to add this one...why are not Uranus, Neptune and Pluto part of the compendium of graha's ? this needs to be answered ...I will take a stab at this in a later post.This first post is about Arudha and will be good information to know whether a jyotish enthusiast, sadhu or those casually interested in astrology.

The Arudha
The arudha means, image, or reflection if you will. In Jyotish astrology there are Arudha's for grahas and for houses. We will stay simple and just talk about the Arudha of the Ascendent, the Lagna ( pronounced lug-nah).
Now, most explanations will just tell you the calculation on how to do this and move on...one sits there and says , yes I know the calculation, now what to do with it? So lets start with what this Arudha, this reflection, image means in a practical way.

Consider this. You are known at home and you, your behavior is known and what you think of yourself, you have an impression of yourself, yes? Now what of the outside world? How does the world see you? [ kinda part of maya].

The world sees you as a reflection of yourself. That reflection is called the Arudha of the lagna, and this new location, outlined by Parashara and Jamini, is called the Pada Lagna ( Not Paka... I will talk of this , so we want to keep the Paka and Pada lagna's distinct, ok).
Each house has an Arudha, or Bhava Arudha, each graha has an Arudha, but lets start simple and only deal with the Pada Lagna ( and of great import).

The Calculation by example [edited 5th July '07 for corrections]
Lets say the native is Aries Lagna ( the rising sign at birth was Aries or Mesha). The Lord of that sign, Aries is Mars.
Part 1 - We look in ones chart to see where mars is placed. For this example, lets say its placed in Virgo.
We count from Aries to Virgo, how many signs are there? There are 6. Note that when we start the count, Aries is counted as the 1st house and Virgo is the last house, like that we count the start-and-stop houses, ok. So, we get 6 signs.
Part 2 - We note 6 signs. We now count from Virgo, where Mars resides and count 6 signs. We arrive at Aquarius. Aquarius is called the AL, or Arudha Lagna for this individual with Aries as the Lagna.
Exceptions: There a few exceptions to this rule given by Jaimini muni:
A. The AL cannot end up in the 1st house, or the original Langa ( in this example it would be Aries), nor can it end up in the 7th house from the original lagna ( in this example, Libra).
B. If when doing the calculation , the AL comes to the Lagna, this is to be rejected, and the AL is the 10th house from the Lagna.
C. If when doing the calculation , the AL comes to the 7th house, that is to be rejected, and the 4th house from the Lagna is considered the AL.

I our example above We have to adjust it to show how the Exceptions work.
Example 2.
Lets say Aries remains the Lagna. Now we look to see where where Mars resides...lets now say Mars is in Libra, the 7th house from Aries. That is, 7 signs from Aries, correct? If we then apply the rule and count 7 signs from Libra, we end up back at Aries, and that has to be rejected due to Exception A above. We then place the AL in the 10th house from the Lagna (Aries) and the AL is Cancer, based upon Exception B instructions.
Example 3.
Aries remains the Lagna. Now we look to see where where Mars resides...lets now say Mars is in Cancer, or 4 houses from Aries, the lagna. Now if we count 4 houses from Cancer, we arrive at the 7th house, Libra;this due to Exception A must be rejected as the AL. We look to Exception C above, and place it in the 4th house from the Lagna, or Capricorn.

Now why is this? why cannot the AL end up back in the Lagna position or the 7th position. It is very interesting. The 1st and 7th houses are considered those houses of truth, without maya, the birth and the opposite of birth, death. All that happens between these points are life and various forms of maya. That is the principle at work.

So, when one looks at some individual from the outside , a political leader, that looks wise, perceived as an honest man, of great Jovian (Jupiter) qualities. Yet we come to find come to find out he is corrupt, of meager intelligence, etc. The AL or Arudha is how we perceived him, how the world sees him. But one gets to know the person from an incident, a news story, etc. the AL of him is no longer a logical view. This happens all the time.

We know now the AL. We also know the Paka Lagna. How so? The Paka Lagna is the location of where the Ascendent Lord resides. Very important for calculations and a 'must' consideration for interpretations.
So, in our example above, Lets say the Lagna is Aries. Lets also say Mars, the owner of Aries, resides in Leo. Leo is considered the Paka Lagna and an evaluation of ones birth chart needs to also be viewed from these two locations. Aries and Leo.
Now, you are saying , am I glad we're done with different lagna's!. We have the native's rising sign Lagna , we have the Paka Lagna and the AL or Arudha lagna... Well, Jyotish is much more robust that that, as we are complicated beings yes?
There is the Hora Lagna - a view of you from the point of wealth
Ghati Lagna - a view of you from power and authority
Sri Lagna - from the point of prosperity, and blessings of Sri and Lakshmi

pranams,

yajvan
01 July 2007, 11:56 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

The Arudha - this post
Upagraha's - future post
I would like to add this one...why are not Uranus, Neptune and Pluto part of the compendium of graha's ? this needs to be answered ...I will take a stab at this in a later post.Namaste,

The question is why is Uranus, Neptue and Pluto no included in Jyotish astrology? It is included in western Astrology.

THIS HAS BEEN MOVED TO ITS OWN SEPERATE POST.

Arvind Sivaraman
01 July 2007, 11:32 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
Arvind asked about a few jyotish items...

The Arudha - this post
Upagraha's - future post
I would like to add this one...why are not Uranus, Neptune and Pluto part of the compendium of graha's ? this needs to be answered ...I will take a stab at this in a later post.This first post is about Arudha and will be good information to know whether a jyotish enthusiast, sadhu or those casually interested in astrology.

The Arudha
The arudha means, image, or reflection if you will. In Jyotish astrology there are Arudha's for grahas and for houses. We will stay simple and just talk about the Arudha of the Ascendent, the Lagna ( pronounced lug-nah).
Now, most explanations will just tell you the calculation on how to do this and move on...one sits there and says , yes I know the calculation, now what to do with it? So lets start with what this Arudha, this reflection, image means in a practical way.

Consider this. You are known at home and you, your behavior is known and what you think of yourself, you have an impression of yourself, yes? Now what of the outside world? How does the world see you? [ kinda part of maya].

The world sees you as a reflection of yourself. That reflection is called the Arudha of the lagna, and this new location, outlined by Parashara and Jamini, is called the Pada Lagna ( Not Paka... I will talk of this , so we want to keep the Paka and Pada lagna's distinct, ok).
Each house has an Arudha, or Bhava Arudha, each graha has an Arudha, but lets start simple and only deal with the Pada Lagna ( and of great import).

The Calculation by example
Lets say the native is Aries Lagna ( the rising sign at birth was Aries or Mesha). The Lord of that sign, Aries is Mars.
Part 1 - We look in ones chart to see where mars is placed. For this example, lets say its placed in Virgo.
We count from Aries to Virgo, how many signs are there? There are 6. Note that when we start the count, Aries is counted as the 1st house and Virgo is the last house, like that we count the start-and-stop houses, ok. So, we get 6 signs.
Part 2 - We note 6 signs. We now count from Virgo, where Mars resides and count 6 signs. We arrive at Aquarius. Aquarius is called the AL, or Arudha Lagna for this individual with Aries as the Lagna.
Exceptions: There a few exceptions to this rule given by Jaimini muni:
A. The AL cannot end up in the 1st house, or the original Langa ( in this example it would be Aries), nor can it end up in the 7th house from the original lagna ( in this example, Libra).
B. If when doing the calculation , the AL comes to the Lagna, this is to be rejected, and the AL is counted 4 houses from the Lagna, or the 4th house.
C. If when doing the calculation , the AL comes to the 7th house, that is to be rejected, and the 10th house from the Lagna is considered the AL.

I our example above We have to adjust it to show how the Exceptions work.
Example 2.
Lets say Aries remains the Lagna. Now we look to see where where Mars resides...lets now say Mars is in Libra, the 7th house from Aries. That is, 7 signs from Aries, correct? If we then apply the rule and count 7 signs from Libra, we end up back at Aries, and that has to be rejected due to Exception A above. We then place the AL in the 4th house from the Lagna (Aries) and the AL is Cancer, based upon Exception B instructions.
Example 3.
Aries remains the Lagna. Now we look to see where where Mars resides...lets now say Mars is in Cancer, or 4 houses from Aries, the lagna. Now if we count 4 houses from Cancer, we arrive at the 7th house, Libra;this due to Exception A must be rejected as the AL. We look to Exception C above, and place it in the 10th house from the Lagna, or Capricorn.

Now why is this? why cannot the AL end up back in the Lagna position or the 7th position. It is very interesting. The 1st and 7th houses are considered those houses of truth, without maya, the birth and the opposite of birth, death. All that happens between these points are life and various forms of maya. That is the principle at work.

So, when one looks at some individual from the outside , a political leader, that looks wise, perceived as an honest man, of great Jovian (Jupiter) qualities. Yet we come to find come to find out he is corrupt, of meager intelligence, etc. The AL or Arudha is how we perceived him, how the world sees him. But one gets to know the person from an incident, a news story, etc. the AL of him is no longer a logical view. This happens all the time.

We know now the AL. We also know the Paka Lagna. How so? The Paka Lagna is the location of where the Ascendent Lord resides. Very important for calculations and a 'must' consideration for interpretations.
So, in our example above, Lets say the Lagna is Aries. Lets also say Mars, the owner of Aries, resides in Leo. Leo is considered the Paka Lagna and an evaluation of ones birth chart needs to also be viewed from these two locations. Aries and Leo.
Now, you are saying , am I glad we're done with different lagna's!. We have the native's rising sign Lagna , we have the Paka Lagna and the AL or Arudha lagna... Well, Jyotish is much more robust that that, as we are complicated beings yes?
There is the Hora Lagna - a view of you from the point of wealth
Ghati Lagna - a view of you from power and authority
Sri Lagna - from the point of prosperity, and blessings of Sri and Lakshmi

pranams,

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Yajvan.
Thank you for the insight provided on Arudha Lagna.
You have mentioned the features of Hora Lagna,Ghati Lagna and Sri Lagna.It was nice.
If you could throw light on how to arrive or calculate the Hora,Ghati and Sri Lagna it would be nice.

yajvan
02 July 2007, 09:56 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

The Arudha - this post
The Upapada - this post
Upagraha's - future post
I would like to add this one...why are not Uranus, Neptune and Pluto part of the compendium of graha's ? this needs to be answered ...I will take a stab at this in a later post. Lets now address Upapada. We now know what the Arudha ( reflection) means from the previous posts. We can take a look at the Upapada.

THIS HAS BEEN MOVE TO A SEPERATE POST...

Laalu
18 November 2015, 01:04 PM
I see so many different viewpoints on computing Arudhas from Jaimini commentators, or commentators on these commentators.
Some folks do not take exceptions at all. Some say all is maya, and yes the AL and the Lagna can be the same. Some calculate arudha padas using exact longitudes. And yet others take different exceptions to what is above.
Each person seems to have a different interpretation.

What is a student without a parampara to do?

Rohiniranjan
21 November 2015, 09:07 AM
Aroodh(a) means 'mounted' (on a high chair or horse or elephant or camel, etc). One that is so mounted would be seen clearly over the heds of the surrounding crowd. Such a one would equally have a better view of the surroundings. As to maya (illusive perception of reality), if the vision (and mind which really sees!) is clear the perception will be clearer, but if the mind is clouded or biased by conditioning then of course all indeed seems full of maya...?

I think the hypothetical *student* should work on improving the clarity of vision and thinking? God's help is always supreme...?

That said, very few if any astrologer can really be entirely devoid of parampara...? All learn through the aid of books, often by a certain author or few authors and utilize their recommendations. The concept of parampara as in school of thinking, school of approach (procedure) etc, still would apply -- at least in astrology and similar mantic divinatory crafts.

Rohiniranjan

Laalu
23 November 2015, 12:14 AM
the poor student in this case did ask God for help, and was sternly told to concentrate on something else first, and Jyotish .... Aha! I work on the clarity of thought first, and revisit this later :)

Rohiniranjan
28 November 2015, 09:20 AM
the poor student in this case did ask God for help, and was sternly told to concentrate on something else first, and Jyotish .... Aha! I work on the clarity of thought first, and revisit this later :)

What I meant was that GOD can over-rule the conclusions, interpretations as fathomed by human jyotishis! Miracles do happen!! Creator's privileges...? ;-)

harih
11 February 2016, 04:42 AM
Namaste

If Rahu is in AL, what does it signify? I think it appears so in Mahatma Gandhi's chart.

Rohiniranjan
14 February 2016, 07:48 AM
Namaste

If Rahu is in AL, what does it signify? I think it appears so in Mahatma Gandhi's chart.

That makes good sense (concordance!), if indeed you are looking at the correct chart.

harih
21 February 2016, 07:47 PM
That makes good sense (concordance!), if indeed you are looking at the correct chart.

His tenth lord is in the tenth house; another concordance as it appears to me. Or multiple footprints !!

Rohiniranjan
22 February 2016, 07:57 AM
His tenth lord is in the tenth house; another concordance as it appears to me. Or multiple footprints !!

Yes, the more the merrier ;-)