PDA

View Full Version : 8th house, a bit more - Length of Life

yajvan
04 July 2007, 01:28 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

With Arvind's permission I thought I would add a bit more on this 8th house.

This 8th house at first glance , people wish to run the other way when one reads it! It is a Dusthana, one of set backs and the dusthana houses are the 6th, 8th and 12th. Yet the 8th and 12th are moksha houses and the 6th house is the house of service. So there is always good-bad mixed in, yes?

When one thinks of the 8th, I look at the 8th from the 8th - or the pada of the 8th = the 3rd house. It has much to say of the workings of this 8th house, and suggests the place of death. Malefics in the 3rd from the Arudha pada (as we have discussed this is the pada of the Lagna) tells the type of death e.g. violent, peaceful, etc. If Jupiter or Venus is in or influences the 3rd house, one is knowledgeable of ones death. We hear many peolpe that know they are going to die, as in the hospital or an illness that is fatal. Lets say the moon is in the 3rd house from the Arudha Lagna, it suggest water will be part of ones death ( this is my case). How will water be part of it ? Drowning, or excessive dis-ease of water in the lungs from too much kapha? Things of this nature.

The 'sign' of the the 3rd suggests the place of death. Think of each sign and what it represents. Lets look at Mahatma Gandhi. The Sun was in the 3rd house, in Virgo. He died via a firearm ( sun = firearms, also mars influences) + Virgo is owned by Mercury. Virgo is a place of the earth, and parks. Gandhi died in a garden. Based upon movable , fixed or dual sign, this suggests how far from home this incident will occur. Movable, suggests a distant place, perhaps on a trip; Fixed would indicate home and or indoors, and dual suggests close to home, and perhaps outside, so the garden meets this common criteria of Virgo. SO the 8th from the 8th is important as you can see.

Back to the eighth house. Who is the significator of length of life? Its Sani, Saturn. As Arvind mentions the 8th is also occult studies. Ketu is the significator as the moksha karaka, and the destruction of the ego; Yet rahu too is karaka for the destruction of the mind (moon) and atman (Sun). So Rahu as mischief maker is there for the destruction of the individual's fame or promoting ill-fame. Destruction of the mind, there is illness mentally from rahu.

So, when one looks to the 8th house , one must also look at the Arudha of the 8th house the A8 (mrityupada), the 8th from the Lagna, and from the Atmakaraka. Now, one would think, if Sani was in the A8 or 8th house, it would indicate a high level of troubles and death to the native. Yet, Sani as the karaka for death, in a death house gives the opposite results ( kinda like math where two negative numbers multiplied together gives a positive number e.g. -3 X -3 = +9. Yet take Sani and pass it over a positive house like the Arudha Lagna and you get negative results - this happened to me some years back, as Sani passed over my Arudha lagna ( it stays for 2 1/2 hears) . Add in Sade Sadhi was the next house Saturn transited to ( the 12th from the moon) + the beginning of Sani Dasa period of Vimshottari Dasa , and that added up to the most stressful , hardest time of my life ever. As dispensement of past actions occured.

So as Sani transits to Leo on July 15th, one needs to see if this is passing over ones Arudha Lagna? or the 8th house or the mrityupada, or the 12th from the moon? like that, it will indicate some changes on one's life.

One additional point on the 8th house - for those that are practicing Jyotish, when is the 8th house not the 8th house for life (Ayus) calculations? There is a fine point here. Lets say one has an Aries Lagna , the Aries Ascendant is owned by Mars, correct? If one counts 8 houses from there, we arrive at Scorpio, the 8th house. Well there is some difficulty with Aries lagna being life driven, and Scorpio as the 8th being death driven, Mars as lord of both does not work. So there needs to be another 8th house picked. One would then take the 8th from Scorpio and arrive at Gemini for the 8th house for an Aries Lagna.
Now to confuse this further, it depends if one counts forward or backwards in the zodiac. This depends on signs being odd-footed or even-footed. I will not take this further as it takes more , and deeper discussion.

This death thing
Many are uncomfortable talking of death, yet it happens every day, and many times to people we know, and ultimately to us also. As my friend told me, 'death? its no big deal... I did it a thousand times!'.

Jamini muni points out a technique ( as there are many) to calculate the timing of death ( Chapt 2, pada 1) and it's based upon the method of 3 pairs as it is called. One evaluates 3 criteria, or methods. From this one gets 3 opinions on ones length of life. The Jyotishi then looks at the strongest of the two to determine or render his/her opinion.
What are some of the criteria?

The first house ( life) and the 8th house ( death)
Signs that are Moveable , Fixed or Dual
These signs are owned byt Brahma, Siva and Visnu respectively
Pending where the lords of the 1st and 8th lords reside, it indicates short, medium or long life
That is, this technique is then applied to the signs where Sani resides and the moon.
Then this technique is applied to the signs owned by the Lagna and the Hora Lagna ( the ascendent and the Hora Lagna, as it is calculated from the Sun, the Karaka of life and the 1st house)
Then there are exceptions and perumations that add or subrtact to the one's life lengthJaimini's wisdom is brilliant. Life span in Kali Yuga is from 0 to 120 years in length ( that of Vimshottari Dasa or 120 years).

Let me just mention a few combintations from Jaimini, he says:
If the lords of the 1st and 8th lords are BOTH in a movable sign, then long life occurs. If one is in a fixed sign, and the other in a dual sign, this too indicates a long life.
So - Both in movable = long life
One in fixed and the other in dual = long lfe.

Short life - there are specific rules used for this as with mid-term life. Now these principles are not random thoughts, there are specifics of why this works, but will avoid this now. Yet a key graha for the reduction of life is Sani ( also known as Yama). Increase in life is done by Brihaspiti or Jupiter.

So , Jyotish and the 8th house is of great importance. The calculations are specific and take a while to do, as multiple exceptions must be considered. Being hasty here in terms of rushing is not prudent.

data eka räma bhikäri sari duniyä .The giver is the one Räma, the world is a beggar

Arvind Sivaraman
04 July 2007, 11:38 PM
The 'sign' of the the 3rd suggests the place of death. Think of each sign and what it represents. Lets look at Mahatma Gandhi. The Sun was in the 3rd house, in Virgo. He died via a firearm ( sun = firearms, also mars influences) + Virgo is owned by Mercury. Virgo is a place of the earth, and parks. Gandhi died in a garden. Based upon movable , fixed or dual sign, this suggests how far from home this incident will occur. Movable, suggests a distant place, perhaps on a trip; Fixed would indicate home and or indoors, and dual suggests close to home, and perhaps outside, so the garden meets this common criteria of Virgo.

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Yajvan.

In Mahatma Gandhi's Horoscope,
The Lagna is Libra,Venus - Libra,Mars-Libra,Mercury-Libra,Saturn-Scorpio,
Ketu - Capricorn,Jupiter-Aries,Moon - Cancer,Rahu-Cancer,Sun-Virgo.
Since the Lagna Lord is in Lagna itself ie;in Libra, The Arudha Lagna is to be counted four houses from Lagna ie;Capricorn.Thus the Third house from Arudha Lagna is Pisces which is aspected by Sun from Virgo.
My clarification is, how can the third house from Arudha Lagna be Virgo.
Is my understanding right withe respect to Arudha Lagna.
Please clarify.

yajvan
05 July 2007, 08:52 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Namaste Arvind,

Where is the issue? Not on your side, and apologies for any confusion caused. My edits did not take, I thought were corrected, did not occur in
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?p=13124#post13124

So, this AM, I went back and made the changes AND color coded the 4th and 10th house in red to insure (convenience myself) that the edits were done, and checked with Jaimini's instructions. [ perhaps having multiple windows open while editing was my error]

Venus is in the Lagna... the AL then is the 10th from it. How so?
We count from the Lagna sign to it's lords postion. In this case its 1, Venus in Libra, And we end up in Lagna, which is to be rejected. So per the exception rule below, AL is 10th from it, or Cancer. 3rd house from AL [Cancer] in Gandhi's chart = Virgo.

So , here's the rule below ( note 10th and 4th in red) my signal the edit was made.

Exceptions: There a few exceptions to this rule given by Jaimini muni:
A. The AL cannot end up in the 1st house, or the original Lagna nor can it end up in the 7th house from the original lagna
B. If when doing the calculation , the AL comes to the Lagna, this is to be rejected, and the AL is the 10th house from the Lagna.
C. If when doing the calculation , the AL comes to the 7th house, that is to be rejected, and the 4th house from the Lagna is considered the AL.

pranams,

memento.mori
18 May 2009, 11:37 AM
Hi!

I am really interested about what can be seen in my personal chart regarding length of life or anything about death. I would really appreciate if you could help and provide some details (even those that may be spooky, sad or really cruel).
Also, if you see something else significant aswell in my chart, please don't hesitate to let me know.

My info:

Planets and houses
Zodiac in degrees 0.00
Sun Gemini 12.07
Moon Gemini 28.51
Mercury Gemini 14.17
Venus Gemini 9.03
Mars Aries 20.53
Jupiter Virgo 6.11
Saturn Aquarius 18.28 R
Uranus Capricorn 17.20 R
Neptune Capricorn 18.30 R
Pluto Scorpio 21.01 R
Lilith Scorpio 14.52
Asc node Capricorn 0.41

Placidus Orb:0
Ascendant Virgo 5.21
II Virgo 27.35
III Libra 25.32
IV Scorpio 29.20
V Capricorn 5.29
VI Aquarius 8.02
VII Pisces 27.35
IX Aries 25.32
Midheaven Taurus 29.20
XI Cancer 5.29
XII Leo 8.02

Planets in houses
Sun in Midheaven
Moon in Midheaven
Mercury in Midheaven
Venus in Midheaven
Mars in VIII
Jupiter in Ascendant
Saturn in VI
Uranus in V
Neptune in V
Pluto in III
Lilith in VI
Asc node in IV

Thank you very much!

yajvan
19 May 2009, 05:17 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

Namasté memento.mori

I wrote sometime back , the following:

Saayana vs. Nirayan school of Astrology.
Nir-ayan - nir= no or without + ayan or ayanansh = without Ayanansh
Sa-ayana - sa = with + ayana or ayanansh = with Ayanansh
Ayanansh = is the distance in degrees created by the difference between siderial and the tropical zodiac. This equals 1° every 72 years or ~ 50.25' seconds per year.

Why is this of great import? That of samkranti ( some write sankranti) of the sun entering a new rasi. If you offer the sun entering Aries on March 21st, then this is Saayana metrics. If one offers samkranti of the sun (transit of a graha to a new bhava or rasi) via Nirayana , then this date is April 14th. You can see the difference is not a meager number.

I am of the school of Jyotish that is based on the Nirayan metric. This is a fundamental concept of Vedic Jyotish . The knowledge is based upon sideral calcuations (that of the star positions) and not tropical ( that of the earths movements).

Siderial = Vedic Jyotish
Tropical = Western AStrology.
Vedic Jyotish ≠ Western Astrology

Based upon the information you have provided, it looks like 'Western data'. One would not know by inspection. Yet if you are requesting help it is best to give the following:

date of birth Month, Day and Year format i.e. 18th May 1950
time: AM or PM, or use 24 hour clock i.e. 5:30 PM, or 17:30.
was daylight savings time in effect?
male or female birthNow that said, I wish to let you ( and others) know that my attention and inspiration is on other studies and not so much on jyotish as of late. I will not be addressing your inquiry, but leave it in the capable hands of others.

praṇām