PDA

View Full Version : 07-07-07

yajvan
05 July 2007, 05:33 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
Its interesting to note that this Saturday the Julian date will be the 7th of July, 2007 or 7-7-07. Saturday, owned by Sani, is the 7th day of the week... and this week when Saturday comes to America ( a 12.0001 AM) it will be Krisha Saptami Tithi or the 7th tithi of the dark half of the month.
So we have 7th month, 7th day, 2007th year, 7th day of the week and the 7th tithi of the dark half ( Krishna) of the month.

One thing as a Jyotish conversation item, The vedic day, runs from sunrise to sunrise. Using the example above, On Friday, June 6th, in my latitude, the sun rises at 5:22:14 AM. Friday starts. It remains Friday until the next sunrise, 5:22:52th next day. A side note: the next day sunrise is 38 seconds later, as the days in the northern hemisphere are getting shorter.
Most places on earth use 12 midnight to signal the demarcation line for one day verses the next, except for jyotish calculations. So, in the example above, it you were born say at 3 AM in the morning, in the USA, your birth certificate would say a Saturday birth, but your jyotishi would say you were born on Friday.

My personal opinion, I prefer the vedic day as its attached to the sun, the sun owns the day and the month, and vote we follow this , but not many are listening to me these days!

Why did I bring this up... well officially , the tithi of the day is the one that starts the day. For the 7th day, Saturday, at sunrise, the tithi would be ashtami, the 8th, owned by siva. Yet if one said what was the tithi when 12 midnight occurs, and the conventional changing of the day, it would be saptami, the same tithi that started June 6th, Friday's day and would have 90% more to go , before the moon changed to ashtami tithi.

From a Numerical standpoint , and using Harish Johari's book on Numbers, one born on this date would have this number as a signature:
07+07+2007 = 14+9=5+9=14= 1+4= 5. Note the calculation is simply the adding of the digits NOT the full number as in 2,007 but as 2+0+0+7=9.
Hence the final number = 5. Harish-ji then goes on to say this five has a specific vibration that correlates with a graha. He suggests the 5 = Mercury. So this Mercury number is associated with people with a core 5 as their birth date in aggregate and he calls it ones Destiny number.
A person with a '5' has the following characteristics:
Gentle, kind. Wealth through lottery or inheritance. Takes risks in business. Speculative power. Favors from the government and authoritative figures. Versatile, optimistic. One experiences changes in their work and living situations. One may live in foreign lands for long periods of time.

Now do I subscribe to this approach? I do not have enough info to make an intelligent opinion. May concerns are simple. Is the Julian date the'real' date? Compared with the date in Kali Yuga and overall Mahayugas. Would one end up with the same numbers when calculating with both numbers?
Perhaps this is a future exercise.

Care to share your opinion?

dhanyavadah, on this krsna shasthi tithi, 0:32:10 sideral time, Vedic day = thursday, owned by Guru

Znanna
05 July 2007, 08:26 PM
Willie Dixon ..

On the seventh hour
of the seventh day
of the seventh month
the seven doctors say
"He were born for good luck
that you'll see"
I got seven hundred dollars
don't you mess with me
'cause i'm the hootchie cootchie man

http://www.luckymojo.com/number7.html

ZN

mirabai
05 July 2007, 09:37 PM
It is very interesting and puzzling. Can you give us the characteristics of some other core numbers?

In my childhood there was a saying about a "7th son of a 7th son" being a situation of particular significance. I don't remember what the significance was to have been.
Someone very dear to me, now passed on many years ago, who was this, plus born on the 7th. His birth date was September 07, 1912. So his birth number would be 2 I think? (09+07+1912=16+13=7+4=11=1+1=2)
He himself had 6 elder brothers and his father had also. Quite a remarkable man, he came from extremely dire and hopeless circumstances but spent his lifetime putting things right and he died financially secure, respected by all, and well loved by a few including myself. I miss him still. He hated hypocrisy and injustice, and quietly lived his beliefs.
Is there any significance in his being the 7th son of 7th son?

Ganeshprasad
06 July 2007, 07:34 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
Its interesting to note that this Saturday the Julian date will be the 7th of July, 2007 or 7-7-07. Saturday, owned by Sani, is the 7th day of the week...

My personal opinion, I prefer the vedic day as its attached to the sun, the sun owns the day and the month, and vote we follow this , but not many are listening to me these days!

Care to share your opinion?

Pranam Yajvan

I am like you always been of the opinion that the day begins with sun rise.
but the thithi is some thing i do not fully understand as it is connected with the moon, some times we end up with same tithi for two days.why?
also i had no idea the tithi had any thing to do with midnight change of the day. How does one also consider the time change as in winter time and summertime?

Jai Shree Krishna

sm78
06 July 2007, 08:15 AM
The origins of Numerology I think lies in Kabbalist Judaism. I don't of the basis of India numerology where one links the number to a planet. It is practiced by many vedic astrologers in additions to normal horoscope readings. But I have suspicions of its authenticity.

The western numerology is fun, but I don't believe it can be taken too seriously. It can give some indications of a persons character as I have tested on many ~ but not a gr8 deal. Like western astrology, it uses many words and is a good bed time read, but lacks in precision and predictive nature of vedic astrology which I am now starting to explore.

To understand the personality bends of various Life Path Numbers (one by adding all number in DOB) and other numbers one can consult this website:-

http://www.astrology-numerology.com/numerology.html

Agnideva
06 July 2007, 10:44 AM
Namaste Ganesh Prasad,

but the thithi is some thing i do not fully understand as it is connected with the moon, some times we end up with same tithi for two days.why?
How does one also consider the time change as in winter time and summertime?

There are two types of days in the Hindu calendar, the solar day and the lunar day (tithi). The solar day goes from sunrise to sunrise and averages out to roughly 24 hours. The lunar day or tithi is the period of time it takes the moon to travel 12 degrees with relation to the sun. Since the earth and moon are both moving with relation to the sun, tithis are of various lengths - sometimes shorter than a solar day, sometimes longer.

Whatever tithi is current at local sunrise is the tithi applied for that solar day for civil use. If the same tithi is current over two sunrises, the tithi is considered extended and the same tithi is applied to two days. This is why we end up with two days with the same tithi.

If a given tithi does not overlap a sunrise (ie. begins after sunrise and ends before the next one), then that tithi is essentially considered obliterated (kshaya), and not applied to any solar day. This is why sometimes we see a tithi skipped in sequence.

As far as I know, tithi times are determined for the standard time at your coordinates, and generally do not account for daylight savings time, which is something you can do manually.

OM Shanti,
A.

yajvan
06 July 2007, 01:59 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste all, and thank you SM78, Agnideva, Ganeshprasad and Mirabai for your comments and assessments.

Agnideva, thank you for sharing the tithi information. If you care to go wider and deeper that would be excellent.

A side note, when we talk tithi, and moon, we are now considering 27 Nakshatra's ( some say 28, and this can be explained) and subtler parts of the person, as moon is of the mind, emotions and feelings, yet considered a luminary with Sun. Sun+Moon = our creation. (Siva and Parvati, Absolute and the manifest, Silence and Dynamism, Purusha and Prakriti)

SM78 any of your ideas on numbers and their assessment is welcomed.

Mirabai, I will yield to what sm78 would like to share, then add-in what I know, which is little, but maybe a tid-bit here and there would be constructive. Again, my knowledge is limited here as I cannot go deep and wide.

pranams,

Ganeshprasad
06 July 2007, 05:12 PM
Namaste Ganesh Prasad,

There are two types of days in the Hindu calendar, the solar day and the lunar day (tithi). The solar day goes from sunrise to sunrise and averages out to roughly 24 hours. The lunar day or tithi is the period of time it takes the moon to travel 12 degrees with relation to the sun. Since the earth and moon are both moving with relation to the sun, tithis are of various lengths - sometimes shorter than a solar day, sometimes longer.

As far as I know, tithi times are determined for the standard time at your coordinates, and generally do not account for daylight savings time, which is something you can do manually.

OM Shanti,
A.

Pranam Agnideva

Thank you for your explanation, how does one calculate various lengths of the tithi?
and as Yajman ji has mentioned please illuminate us on Nakshatra's.

Jai Shree Krishna

yajvan
08 July 2007, 03:42 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

IF one wishes to study dates, times, tithi's, vasara, era's, etc.
Let me recommend this.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/panchangam/pancha_intro.PDF

A good reference, I have used this for some time.
You can also download, view your particualar pachanga data for your area or close to it.
take a look here:
http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/panchangam/#2007-2008

Note "Hindu Calendar" Selection under publications pull down menu to find it.

These people [ Kauai's Hindu Monastery, founded in 1970 by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami } are very dedicatred people and do fine work.

How would they call out the calendar date for today ( for my area)?
Sarvajit Nama Samvatsare Dakshinaya Nartana Ritau Mithuna Mase Krishna Pakshe Bhanu Vasara Yuktayam Asvini Nakshatra Sukarma/Dhriti Yoga Taitila/Vanija Karana Navami*/Dasami Yam Titau

pranams

Agnideva
08 July 2007, 05:41 PM
Namaskar Ganesh Prasad,

how does one calculate various lengths of the tithi?
Actual calculation of tithis is very complex, and involves a lot of trigonometry. In the old days, there were texts called siddhantas, like Surya Siddhanta, that gave formulas for calculating tithis, nakshatras, etc., and everything was done by hand. These days, the same principles are used, but the calculations are more precise and done by computer. The precise calculations used these days go by the name Drik Siddhanta or simply Drik.

Technically, Hindu calendar is specific to the your exact coordinates, and is not valid in other locations. It is best to consult a calendar calculated for the closest city to where you live. The Kauai Adheenam site provided by Sri Yajvan provides the calendar for various locations.

ISKCON also has its own calendar software on this website: ISKCON GBC Vaishnava Calendars (http://vcal.iskcongbc.org/). Again, you can download a calendar for various parts of the world, but the calendar is formatted for Gaudiya Vaishnava/ISKCON tradition.

There are two other sites where you can download Hindu calendars for various locations around the world:

1. Mudgala Panchagam
(http://www.mudgala.com/panchanga/)2. MyPanchang.com (http://www.mypanchang.com/panchang.html)

The second site is simply excellent and it's designer, Pundit Mahesh Shastri, has done a terrific job of providing the Hindu calendar formatted per different regional traditions. There is also a lot of background information on that site about nakshatras, tithis, etc. which you may find helpful.

please illuminate us on Nakshatra's. Sri Yajvan and others can explain the nakshatras a lot better than I. My understanding is from the astronomical perspective only, but here goes:

There are two types of lunar months: synodic and sidereal. Synodic month is the period of time between full moon to full moon or new moon to new moon, and lasts 29.531 days. The lunar months we use (Chaitra, Vaishakha, etc.) are synodic months.

The sidereal month is the period of time for the moon to orbit the earth once (360 degrees) with respect to the stars in the background, and lasts 27.322 days. In the Vedic calendar, we have grouped these stars into asterisms or nakshatras, and there are 27 such groups starting with Ashvini and ending with Revati. Each nakshatra occupies 1/27th of the moon’s orbit around the earth, and is defined as 13.333 degrees of the arc (360 degrees divided by 27).

Just as with tithis, whatever nakshatra the moon is on at sunrise is the nakshatra applied to that day for civil use. So, just as a tithi can extend onto two sunrises, or be obliterated (kshaya), so can a nakshatra. For festivals, birth charts, etc. the exact nakshatra occupied by the moon at that exact moment is very important.

What is most interesting, at least to me, is the Hindu lunar months are actually named after the nakshatra on which the full moon occurs in that month. So, in Chaitra, the full moon occurs on Chitra Nakshatra; in Vaishakha the full moon occurs on Vishakha Nakshatra; etc.

There is also a very interesting tidbit from the Puranas about the nakshatras. The Puranas explain that the 27 nakshatras are all daughters of Daksha Prajapati, and were given to Chandra (Moon) in marriage. Chandra, however, had a favorite wife, Rohini and spent more time with her over his other wives. When Daksha found out that Chandra was showing favoritism, he cursed Chandra that he should wither and die. The daughters intervened and changed the curse so that Chandra should wither half of the time, and come back to life the other half. This is why it is said Chandra waxes and wanes every month, and spends equal time with each of his wives :). Rohini nakshatra, Chandra’s favorite, is otherwise best known for being the birth nakshatra of Lord Krishna.

OM Shanti,
A.