PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnation

Mben
10 July 2007, 06:10 PM
If you could post only ONE argument, prof,..that there is indeed something more with our consciousness after our physical body dies, what would you say, post?

yajvan
10 July 2007, 07:26 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

If you could post only ONE argument, prof,..that there is indeed something more with our consciousness after our physical body dies, what would you say, post?

Hello and Namsakar Mben,

The upanishads and their specific information on what happens to the native after the body falls is available to us. This is the wisdom of the rishi's. I take this as authentic and viable knowledge to form a POV.

This notion of reincarnation is clearly pointed out in the Chandogya Upanishad and is part of the Panchagni Vidya told to Svetaketu. The first question given to Svetaketu by his guru in this case a king (Pravahana Jaivali) is " Do you know where people go after they depart from this world?" Svetaketu answers, ' no I do not' - now begins the instruction

The conversation is not one of polemics (jalpa). This question comes up often on HDF, yet the discussion (vada) is limited to point-counterpoints. What is missing? That person, the stotriya brahmanishtha, that is established in the SELF, who knows without doubt that nature of the jiva before and after this incarnation. The proxy for this is the shastra's and what the wise say.

Until then we will flutter around like chickens with opinions of 'He said, She said'.

IMHO the way to a reasonable conversation, for those interested, is to read the the various shastra's, the Chandogya upanishad, the Tibetian Book of the Dead, etc. and come have a reasonable discussion on the principles.

dhanyavadah

Znanna
10 July 2007, 08:35 PM
The physical body isn't the limit of consciousness.

So, why should consciousness die when the physical body expires?

ZN

yajvan
10 July 2007, 10:01 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

The physical body isn't the limit of consciousness.

So, why should consciousness die when the physical body expires?

ZN

no doubt. what expires is the material part, the exhausted part.
Yet, in the final analysis, that too, the 'raw materials' of this whole creation is consciousness. So says Vasishta muni to Sri Ram..

saidevo
10 July 2007, 10:09 PM
Namaste.

If our consciousness is centered only in our physical body and there is nothing more to it (when this body dies), where is it centered in dreamless deep sleep and how do continue our awareness when awake and feel that we slept well?

Agnideva
11 July 2007, 01:53 PM
Namaste Mben,

This is not an argument, but just something to think about. Is consciousness a result of brain (neural) activity, or is brain (neural) activity the vehicle through which consciousness acts?

OM Shanti,
A.

Kaos
11 July 2007, 05:42 PM

Of course, where else will you go?

MysticalGypsi
12 July 2007, 09:51 PM
When I worked as a CNA, I had to prepare a body. I had cared for this man, and talked to him as he died, over several days. So, I had to help him move around, a lot of contact with him.

I went in as he took his last breath. Then, we had to prepare the body, which I had never done. I had never tried to lift a dead body.

Words cannot describe it and you have to experience it. I am convinced COMPLETELY from that experience that something leaves the body upon death. When I lifted this man's head and arms to prepare the body, I was shocked. There definitely is a life force that leaves the body, "a soul".

As far as reincarnation goes, it makes the most sense. If you look around absolutely everything moves in cycles, in circles. Indigenous people understand this because they live in the natural world. ; )

Kaos
13 July 2007, 09:22 AM
As far as reincarnation goes, it makes the most sense. If you look around absolutely everything moves in cycles, in circles. Indigenous people understand this because they live in the natural world. ; )

The Hindus call it "atman", or soul. This is what differentiates the living being from a dead corpse.

For Buddhists, particularly Mahayana Tibetan Buddhists, it is "consciousness" that leaves the physical body. The material body then decays back to the elements.

Basically, in Mahayana Buddhism, the imprints left in this "stream of consciousness" is likened to being blown about by the wind, according to karma, to any one of the six realms. The number of realms varies slightly depending on the Buddhist tradition.

A Buddha is free from the cycles of birth and rebirth.

So, when we think about it, after the death of the physical body, "we" have nowhere else to go.

atanu
13 July 2007, 09:57 AM
-----

So, when we think about it, after the death of the physical body, "we" have nowhere else to go.

Namaskar Kaos,

Your another post where you state the supportless condition in meditation and the above "nowhere to go", are among the finest bringing forth of the indescribable.

Regards

Om Namah Shivaya

atanu
13 July 2007, 02:18 PM

Namaskar,

Does the physical body live that it will die? If the physical body lives then why does it not live on its own will?

Om

Yes, there is no proof of continuation of an individual soul, that's why dualists could not counter Buddha. It was left to Sankara to reiterate that the Atma is ONE, who as Purusha has thousand (infinite) heads. Individual soul is a reflection of a facet of Self in Self.

Om Namah Shivaya