PDA

View Full Version : What is the Goal of Sanatana Dharma?

Manji08
12 July 2007, 10:51 PM
I basically understand that Buddhism is about a path to spiritual enlightenment to attain salvation from suffering and arrive in Nirvana.

Christianity I understand is a contract with God that you try your best not to offend God, obey God, ask for forgiveness, believe in Jesus, and go to heaven after you die.

But what about Hindusim? What is the goal? Is there a goal?

atanu
13 July 2007, 10:09 AM
I basically understand that Buddhism is about a path to spiritual enlightenment to attain salvation from suffering and arrive in Nirvana.

Christianity I understand is a contract with God that you try your best not to offend God, obey God, ask for forgiveness, believe in Jesus, and go to heaven after you die.

Namaskar

Not only in Sanatana dharma but the goal everywhere is happiness -- unbroken happiness. The highest POV. My POV.

Om Namah Shivaya

Agnideva
13 July 2007, 11:33 AM

Namaste Manji,

In human life, Sanatana Dharma enumerates four aims to be pursued. These are called the four purusharthas – dharma, artha (material gain), kama (love) and moksha (liberation). Those who become renunciants are to pursue dharma and moksha only.

The ultimate goal in Sanatana Dharma is to be liberated from the cycles of birth and death, and to return back into the state of oneness with the Divine. Depending on philosophy, some call it a merger with the Divine, others call it a union. But, truly Sanatana Dharma teaches that there never is any separation between you and the Divine, your very source and destination. And, that inseparability is to be realized.

OM Shanti,
A.

yajvan
14 July 2007, 12:07 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~
Namaste,

I think Atanu and Agnideva's responses are excellent. When I think of what my teacher would say, I think he would say Wholeness, Wholeness and fullness of life which incorporates Atanu and Agnideva's comments.

When I think of the wholeness I am drawn to the 10th mandala of the Rig Veda ( 10.12.40) as the rishi Samvanana closes the end of the mandala by these words, ' common be your intention, common be the wishes in your hearts, common be your thoughts, so that there may be thorough union among you.'

I find this so enlightening. The kavi's ( that is, the seer of this mantra Samvanana) vision here. This union and best wishes for all of the family of man, that is at the core of Sanatana Dharma. This is achieved though each individual living his/her full potential in Brahman.

Surely this most have been a joyous time in Sat yuga... may we visit this time again soon.

pranams,

atanu
15 July 2007, 01:53 AM
Namaste Manji,

In human life, Sanatana Dharma enumerates four aims to be pursued. These are called the four purusharthas – dharma, artha (material gain), kama (love) and moksha (liberation). Those who become renunciants are to pursue dharma and moksha only.

The ultimate goal in Sanatana Dharma is to be liberated from the cycles of birth and death, and to return back into the state of oneness with the Divine. Depending on philosophy, some call it a merger with the Divine, others call it a union. But, truly Sanatana Dharma teaches that there never is any separation between you and the Divine, your very source and destination. And, that inseparability is to be realized.

OM Shanti,
A.

Namaste Agni Deva,

A nice summary indeed. One looks for happiness in Artha, Kama, Dharma, and Moksha.

Happiness is unbroken in Moksha. Yes, it is fullness, as summarised by Yajvan.

Om

Kaos
15 July 2007, 11:21 AM
All good posts, everyone.

Yes, that is true. There is no separation.

Do you get angry at the bright sun when your eyes blink? Or, do you get angry at the rain when it pours in a downpour?

Using mindfulness, we recognize these phenomena for what they are. We become aware and conscious of these things, and therefore, we can control our reactions. When we can control our actions including our thoughts, we have mastered ourselves.