PDA

View Full Version : Hora of the day... A useful tool

yajvan
17 July 2007, 06:55 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Namaste,
Have you ever noticed some days are more uplifting or inviting then others? even some times of the day are more attractive, some less, and some stressful?

We know that each day of the week is named after a graha. I think this is common knowledge Sunday from Sun, etc.

Vara (The Day of the Week)
Sunday, the sun, ravi-vara
Monday, the moon, soma-vara
Tuesday, Mars, mangala-vara
Wednesday, Mercury, budha-vara
Thursday, Jupiter, guru-vara
Friday, Venus sukra-vara
Saturday, Saturn, sani-vara

Yet who owns time? Who owns longivity? Sani. He is considered a dual personality - as Yama and as Kaala ( some just right Kala and avoid the long a vowel).

Now the Sun also owns daylight and how one uses their time. Both are ingredients in how on spends their time. Sun is the karaka of the 1st house, you, the lagna and how you use light and the day to go about your actions. Sani , is karaka of Career , and how the time is spent...you can see the relevance of the two?

Yama quality of Sani - has rigor, discipline and follows Dharma - the sun. The day is started when Surya says it starts, with its rising.
So one way of determining hora's is this method as sun rise drives the decision and the divisions of the 24 hrs (Sun rise to sunset, then sunset to sunrise)

Mahakal quality of Sani - does not follow the sun and determines time arbitrarily, from rational points, yet does not use the sun's rise at its starting points. This is much more linear. There are 24 hrs in a day , lets divide it up evenly and that is that. This system considers 6 AM local time as the best time to start this division, if surya is up or not!

So, from a few posts back, When is it sunrise?
Jyotishi Varahamihira muni says when the upper limb of the sun is in view on the horizon, this is sunrise. Some others consider the central portion of the sun on the horizon. So whats the deal ? Who cares? The difference is roughly 1 min 15 sec. That change influences the position of the lagna and higher level varga charts ( 1/30th division, 1/60th division) and changes the positions of the graha's in these vargas.

Each hour/hora is owned by a Graha
Each hour of the day is owned by a graha. If one has been practicing Sanatana Dharm for a bit or have read jyotish many have heard of rahu kalam, and Yama Kalam. These are times of the day that are considered inauspicious. We can talk of these later , but for now , if one considers who owns each hour of the day, it can assist one in making choices. This is the practice of Muhurta, or a part of Jyotish that is selection of best times to do things or to avoid doing things.

So, this Hora ( some write horai) starts with the owner of each day of the week. Sunday AM, the rising of the sun in your latitude is owned by Surya. Same applies for Monday, at sunrise , is owned by Moon, or Chandra. Like that each day at sunrise is owned by the lord of the day.

Now as the sun moves through the sky each hora or hour is owned by a different graha. The wisdom of the day follows the speed of the planets. Not many books tell you of this as this is kept to the parampara of the teacher. Think of the speed of the planets, who is slowest and fastest and this is the order.
Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury and Moon. ( rahu and ketu do not get a time, as they do not own a day ).
Since Sani owns time with this process, the cycle of this order starts on Saturday ( this does not infer Saturday is the first day of the week) with this pattern. So it looks like this for Saturday, 24 hours.

Hour_________Owner
1____________Saturn
2____________Jupiter
3____________Mars

4____________Sun
5____________Venus
6____________Mercury
7____________Moon
8____________Saturn [ restart the cycle ]
9____________Jupiter
10___________Mars
11___________Sun
12___________Venus

13___________Mercury

14___________Moon

15___________Saturn
16___________Jupiter
17___________Mars
18___________Sun
19___________Venus
20___________Mercury
21___________Moon
22___________Saturn [restart the cycle]
23___________Jupiter
24___________Mars

If you got this, what is the next graha that comes after Mars in the pattern shown? It would be the Sun, and the next day... Sunday.
Brilliant eh? ( not me, the Jyotishi's)

And Sunday would run the same pattern for 24 hours: Sun, Venus, Mercury, etc etc. and the last 24 hour would be Mercury. And what comes after Mercury? Moon and Monday, and Monday's cycle then runs. Like that it repeats all week.

So , how to use this ( if there is interest) ? Create a matrix of each day and the 24 period under each day. Then just note which days are positive and which ones are challenging. When something happens that is notable. you can then see the influences of the Graha's on you/

Thought this would be fun, and maybe useful. As you see a pattern arise, you can then schedule things accordingly and in sync with your best times. Watch daylight savings if its applied in your area.

I can tell you from experience, that rahu kulam is NOT a good time for me.
Fridays are good , due to Maha yogada Venus assisting. Certain days are good for business, some not. Some good for other actions. So is the root use of a simple pachanga.

Let me know if you see any results/patterns emerge.

pranams

Arvind Sivaraman
18 July 2007, 02:33 AM
Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Yajvan.
It was informative reading.Hope to hear more from you.

Shuddhasattva
21 May 2012, 04:30 AM
Namaste

This is an incredibly useful post! Yajvanji, could you expand on the relation of the the periods of the day to the tattvas?

My guru has described to me the flux throughout the day as "tattvic tides" an understanding, and perception of which, is important to know which deity to be worshiping at which time (especially in the Vedic context of 33 main deities.)

This is an understanding that I completely lack right now with the sole exception of this thread, and would appreciate any additions to it.

Dhanyavad!

Namaste

yajvan
21 May 2012, 11:14 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Namaste
This is an incredibly useful post! Yajvanji, could you expand on the relation of the the periods of the day to the tattvas?

My guru has described to me the flux throughout the day as "tattvic tides" an understanding, and perception of which, is important to know which deity to be worshiping at which time (especially in the Vedic context of 33 main deities.)

This is an understanding that I completely lack right now with the sole exception of this thread, and would appreciate any additions to it.

What your guru tells you is correct... each day there is a graha that rules the day, and a tattva that aligns to that graha.

As time permits I will try and round out this conversation... also there are other HDF posts that align the tattva-s to the graha's. Yet this whole notion is quite robust as the knowledge of the tattva-s , graha-s and their influence spill over into many many fields of knowledge.

praṇām