PDA

View Full Version : Western Hindu's this threads for you!

Bhairava108
18 July 2007, 02:17 PM
Namaste,
I am new to the board and was just wondering how many Members are Western Hindu's as in Hindus who were not born into Hinduism and who may have converted or came from another religious path outside of Hinduism. i myself was born into Christianity infact I was Baptised Catholic Lutheran and Mormon all by the age of 8 lol my parents were obviously confused. after haveing gone through a HUGE rebelious stage and haveing always been interested in Eastern thought and philosophy I found Hinduism or rather Hinduism found me! and I absolutly love it! its such a vast ocean of knowledge that I could seriously spend several lifetimes studying it indepth and probably still not know everything! anyway its become a very big part of my life a life style change for sure, my life totally revolves around my spiritual path!! I guess I would be considered a Shakta/Saivite meaning practiceing a Shakta path with worship of Lord Siva. as far as a Guru I have several I look to for Guidance, Shree Ma and Swamji(Devi Mandir). Bodhinatha Veylaniswami(himalayan academy). and a few others. anyway just curious if anyone else on the board is a Western Hindu! if so, please introduce yourself.

Aum Shanti

satay
18 July 2007, 03:15 PM
namaskar!
Bhairav, there are many western hindus on HDF and very knowledgeable ones too! I don't want to point and trust that they will identify themselves here.

You have an interesting story. I often wonder about how western hindus find hinduism or as you say how hinduism find them. I mean, for an indian it is much easier even if you are atheists or belong to another religion but how does westerners find hinduism. I find the stories of this very insipiring. It truly is linked to your karma in other lives, imho.

I digress.

MysticalGypsi
18 July 2007, 06:04 PM
Actually, with the IT boom, Hinduism is becoming more visible in the West. Locally, the Temple is holding outreach activities on culture, yoga, etc. Ironically, some people here are attributing the diabolical intent that Christians are attributed in India for these outreach activities. When will learn to be easy on each other?

WWW is making the planet small also.

Since I work on the fringes of healthcare, I find it interesting- the new marriages between East and West thought in the medical field. I think both approaches have something to offer & Eastern practices are gaining ground. I just went to a seminar by a neurologist on emotion, stress and the brain. They are uncovering scientifically many of the Eastern truths in Buddhism and Hinduism. Some Westerners are hearing this for the first time and I wanted to raise my hand and note that the East has been incorporating this for centuries.

I follow Eastern thought. I find a lot of truth in Hinduism but after learning more on these boards, I am not sure I want to identify totally with Hinduism. I lean East to Buddhist/Hindu thought and the complimentary Native American spirituality. Out of all the religions, I think they have the most accuracy. I was raised Christian also, but always thought much of it was logical. That is what I like about Eastern thought, it invites questions and critical thinking.

Kaos
18 July 2007, 07:05 PM
Hello, thanks for starting this thread.
It's good for us members to get to know a little bit of each others' background.

I was raised Roman Catholic. At the age of 14, I joined the local Hare Krishnas' (ISKON). This was back in the late 60's, during the time of experimentation and counter-culture, prevalent back then among the younger generation.

Since then, I have drifted into Taoism, then into Zen Buddhism.
Lately, I find myself drawn towards Tibetan Buddhism and of course, all aspects of Sanatana Dharma.

I firmly believe, that the Truth is One, but the paths are many.

Znanna
18 July 2007, 08:31 PM
Namaste,

I'm probably best described as a chaote, although those I know that call themselves that consider me more mystic or priestess than mage. I was born psychic, and basically have sought control and insight my entire life. Since I can remember, I've mixed and matched scripture, science fiction, math, quantum physics, occultism and whatever to attempt to create a structure to define my universe.

Several years ago, I prayed for direction - what to do next - which led me into a multi-year odessey of kundalini discipline and many revelations. Seeking a broader context, I searched on the 'net (sort of using the 'net as tarot cards or I Ching in a way) on words and ideas which came to mind. That led me to a number of groups (including this one).

Some call me kaula, but I claim no initiation except what I've been communicated in prayer and meditation.

ZN

Bhairava108
19 July 2007, 01:19 AM
namaskar!
Bhairav, there are many western hindus on HDF and very knowledgeable ones too! I don't want to point and trust that they will identify themselves here.

You have an interesting story. I often wonder about how western hindus find hinduism or as you say how hinduism find them. I mean, for an indian it is much easier even if you are atheists or belong to another religion but how does westerners find hinduism. I find the stories of this very insipiring. It truly is linked to your karma in other lives, imho.

I digress.

I was slowley introduced to hinduism I use to be really big into the Rave culture and was a Rave promoter for a while I started useing Hindu Iconography, Dietys and Symbols for flyers and nameing my events after hindu dietys. after that I just got drawn more and more into it then my mother bought me a brass Siva nataraja murthi for christmas and she is a strict mormon so it was obviously meant to be this way. And now like I said before its the dominante feature in my life and I love it I wouldnt trade it for anything!

Actually, with the IT boom, Hinduism is becoming more visible in the West. Locally, the Temple is holding outreach activities on culture, yoga, etc. Ironically, some people here are attributing the diabolical intent that Christians are attributed in India for these outreach activities. When will learn to be easy on each other?

WWW is making the planet small also.

Since I work on the fringes of healthcare, I find it interesting- the new marriages between East and West thought in the medical field. I think both approaches have something to offer & Eastern practices are gaining ground. I just went to a seminar by a neurologist on emotion, stress and the brain. They are uncovering scientifically many of the Eastern truths in Buddhism and Hinduism. Some Westerners are hearing this for the first time and I wanted to raise my hand and note that the East has been incorporating this for centuries.

I follow Eastern thought. I find a lot of truth in Hinduism but after learning more on these boards, I am not sure I want to identify totally with Hinduism. I lean East to Buddhist/Hindu thought and the complimentary Native American spirituality. Out of all the religions, I think they have the most accuracy. I was raised Christian also, but always thought much of it was logical. That is what I like about Eastern thought, it invites questions and critical thinking.

seriously I dont know what I would do without the internet as far as Hinduism is concerned! and the problem I have with christianity is its so binding and restrictive and your relationship with god is through a Bishop or a priest ect.. rather then giving you the tools to develope your own personal relationship with god like hinduism. when I was a practicing Christian I seriously felt closer to God out in the woods or on a nature Hike in a near by canyon then I ever did in church.

Hello, thanks for starting this thread.
It's good for us members to get to know a little bit of each others' background.

I was raised Roman Catholic. At the age of 14, I joined the local Hare Krishnas' (ISKON). This was back in the late 60's, during the time of experimentation and counter-culture, prevalent back then among the younger generation.

Since then, I have drifted into Taoism, then into Zen Buddhism.
Lately, I find myself drawn towards Tibetan Buddhism and of course, all aspects of Sanatana Dharma.

I firmly believe, that the Truth is One, but the paths are many.

I have a Tattoo of that saying in sanskrit!

Namaste,

I'm probably best described as a chaote, although those I know that call themselves that consider me more mystic or priestess than mage. I was born psychic, and basically have sought control and insight my entire life. Since I can remember, I've mixed and matched scripture, science fiction, math, quantum physics, occultism and whatever to attempt to create a structure to define my universe.

Several years ago, I prayed for direction - what to do next - which led me into a multi-year odessey of kundalini discipline and many revelations. Seeking a broader context, I searched on the 'net (sort of using the 'net as tarot cards or I Ching in a way) on words and ideas which came to mind. That led me to a number of groups (including this one).

Some call me kaula, but I claim no initiation except what I've been communicated in prayer and meditation.

ZN

Thats Awesome!! your path sounds really Tantric in nature. I think mine has also driffted in that Direction. I am very fascinated in the occult Sciences and after some strict saddhana I want to start practicing more of the occult such as Tarot, crystal gazeing etc... sometimes I think Divine intervention so to speak is all the initiation one needs;) as long as they are truely recieving it. I also want to get into Shamanism I think it would interlock well with Tantric hinduism.

sm78
19 July 2007, 02:50 AM
Sorry for intruding in:

One sadhu once said that Hindu Dharma has its future in the West. The common values of Indian society has dropped so low that it cannot do justice to the broad range of thoughts of Sanatana Dharma any more.

Reading your stories, it seems, the observation might not be as fantastic as I had thought after all.

MysticalGypsi
19 July 2007, 06:26 AM
Sm, thank you for that enlightened, well thought out, well intentioned post. Thank God we have people like yourself to show us the way of the true Dharma with compassion and intelligence. This is the fantastic guiding light I have come to appreciate on this board, which so richly represents the Dharma way of life.

sm78
19 July 2007, 08:09 AM
Thats Awesome!! your path sounds really Tantric in nature. I think mine has also driffted in that Direction. I am very fascinated in the occult Sciences and after some strict saddhana I want to start practicing more of the occult such as Tarot, crystal gazeing etc... sometimes I think Divine intervention so to speak is all the initiation one needs;) as long as they are truely recieving it. I also want to get into Shamanism I think it would interlock well with Tantric hinduism.

Namaste Bhairava,

A question of personal nature...please feel free to ignore as ideally one may not answer this.

But are you initiated into a tantric lineage ? and if yes what is the orientation ? meaning achara (shakta has 9 acharas, some say 7 ~ 5 of which falls under kaula). Also which Maha Vidya do you sadhana of ?

Just curiosity, nothing else.

atanu
19 July 2007, 12:52 PM
I am interested to know a bit about sarabhanga giri (Though I feel that he may not oblige now).

One who has read the life of Shri Ramana Maharshi will know that when the call becomes overbearing, nothing else remains important. Just with a kaupina as possession (a piece of cloth around lion), he threw himself to Lord. What courage it takes to become entirely supportless? To live life only with the support of the Self?

Prostrations to such courage. Prostrations to such beings, since God has chosen them.

Om Namah Shivaya

Bhairava108
19 July 2007, 02:01 PM
Namaste Bhairava,

A question of personal nature...please feel free to ignore as ideally one may not answer this.

But are you initiated into a tantric lineage ? and if yes what is the orientation ? meaning achara (shakta has 9 acharas, some say 7 ~ 5 of which falls under kaula). Also which Maha Vidya do you sadhana of ?

Just curiosity, nothing else.

at this time I am not able to answer these questions. however I am currently working on and practicing strict saddhana asscociated with intiation.

KiranDev
26 July 2007, 08:20 AM
Yes, I was raised as a Roman Catholic but my soul found its natural home in the Sanatana Dharma back in 1998. I'm perhaps more of a Hindu universalist since I am something of a Vaishnavite/Shaivite with great love and respect for Saraswati. I was very happy to find this web site.

Like so many others here, this sums it up so elegantly:

The Truth is One, But the Paths are Many

(How do you write it in sanskrit?)

OM Shanti,

Kiran

Agnideva
26 July 2007, 09:09 AM
Namaste KiranDev,

I am something of a Vaishnavite/Shaivite with great love and respect for Saraswati.
Almost all Vaishavites and Shaivites I've known have great love and respect for Saraswati! Per tradition, one does not begin any study without invocation of Lord Ganesha, Mother Saraswati and the true Guru, who is none other than the form of the Lord.

The Truth is One, But the Paths are Many
(How do you write it in sanskrit?)Ekam sat vipra bahuda vadanti
Truth is One, the wise call it many.(Rigveda I.164.46)

OM Shanti,
A.

KiranDev
26 July 2007, 12:23 PM
Namaste and Shukriya Agnideva!

Eastern Mind
08 September 2007, 07:11 AM
I am a western Hindu, and will share my story. I was born agnostic, had no previous affiliation with any religion other than attending family weddings at Christian churches, never read the bible etc., which is a common thing here in the west. (Not nearly as much in the east) At about the age of 15, I started recognizing some of my experiences as mystical in nature, and began the search for meaning. With Ganesha's guidance, (only later did I recognise that) Hinduism found me. Upon reading some philosophy, I soon discovered that I agreed with this religion. It was extremely eerily similar to what I had already come to believe from within myself. Then, the first time I entered a Hindu temple, I just knew, without a doubt, that i had found the religion of my soul, and eastern soul in a western body. From there I studied, and eventually via the namakarana samskara, changed my name legally, and fully adopted Hinduism. That was about 28 years ago, and I still feel like a baby at times, as the knowledge pool is so vast. Now I am comfortable in either culture (if you can call the western non-culture a culture) and happily attend and volunteer at the local Ganesha temple. I did not have to do a lot of reprogramming of the subconscious as He welcomes me now, and I am grateful for His allowing me to be part of the greatest religion on the planet. (If one doesn't think that theirs is the greatest, then I suppose they ought to convert to the one that they do see as the greatest. Aum Shantih, loooking forward to getting to know some fellow Hindus. EM

devisarada
17 September 2007, 10:23 PM
I was brought up in a Christian environment, but my father has always been an atheist, and my mother was an agnostic with Germanic pagan leanings. Her mother was a follower of Rabindranath Tagore, and her father was a Theosophist. My father's parents were nominally evangelical Lutherans, but were disapointed with the corruption they saw in organized religion.

From the time I was a child, a felt that Christianity was too exclusive. Although I was confirmed in the Lutheran Church and taught Sunday School for awhile, I could never believe that Christ was the ONLY way, so I stopped going to church.

Later in life, having survived many great difficulties, and having explored many religions, I came upon a Hindu Guru who has a large following in North America, and started going to the satsanghs. For the first time, I felt at home. But, realising that the Guru catered to the Western frame of mind, I decided to go to the source, and started attending Hindu mandirs and reading a lot.

The one single thing that attracted me to Sanatana Dharma, was its inclusivity. Secondly, its approachable mysticism. One can experience the Supreme Absolute through one's own sadhana, no middle man is required. I like the richness of the traditions, the symbolism and its acceptance of diversity. At heart, I would say I am more of an Advaita Vedantist, but since my husband comes from a Smarta tradition, we practice that.

P.S. in the picture is my paternal grandfather and one of the prize Holstein bulls he raised.

Eastern Mind
18 September 2007, 08:37 PM
Devisarada : We have much in common regarding why we are of this faith: inclusivity, no middle man, rich culture. I feel very lucky to be in a Hindu community where the Hindus are born Hindu, and not converts. (I suppose this could be taken as self-criticism) . I just find recent converts, especially the westerners too outspoken, trying too hard, and thinking they know far more than they do. The eastern ones are for more relaxed about the whole thing. No hurry, no worry. They also seem to have a better sense of humour. The converts carry too much western baggage for me, and hate admitting it.
In my experience, its the same in most religions. Recent converts tend to be overzealous. I suppose its natural in a way. One does get used to things after awhile. It would be like us and snow. Watching the newcomer from a tropical country first see snow, I'm amazed at what happens. But me, well, snow is just snow. Aum Namashivaya

devisarada
18 September 2007, 08:57 PM
Namaste Eastern Mind,

Recent converts tend to be overzealous.

Do you think this applies to me, or was it a general comment?

If it was a a general comment, I tend to agree. Some are always talking about their meditative experience, constantly sprinkling their conversation with "buzz words". They seem to always have something to prove.

My social circle too, consists mainly of born Hindus. Mainly people for Guyana and Trinidad. To them Sanatana Dharma is like breathing, it is the only way of life they know. I tend to regard myself as pretty relaxed about my spirituality. I don't think I make a big deal about it in my day to day life. I just do my sadhana, post on the HDF, try to be humble and compassionate, and see God in everything.

Yes E. M., I think we do have a lot in common.

yajvan
18 September 2007, 09:56 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Devisarada : We have much in common regarding why we are of this faith: inclusivity, no middle man, rich culture. I feel very lucky to be in a Hindu community where the Hindus are born Hindu, and not converts. (I suppose this could be taken as self-criticism) . I just find recent converts, especially the westerners too outspoken, trying too hard, and thinking they know far more than they do. The eastern ones are for more relaxed about the whole thing. No hurry, no worry. They also seem to have a better sense of humour. The converts carry too much western baggage for me, and hate admitting it.
In my experience, its the same in most religions. Recent converts tend to be overzealous. I suppose its natural in a way. One does get used to things after awhile. It would be like us and snow. Watching the newcomer from a tropical country first see snow, I'm amazed at what happens. But me, well, snow is just snow. Aum Namashivaya

Namaste EM and devisarada,
your points make sense... think of the new folks as those that just stopped smoking. Its a big deal to them, yet to others that have been breathing normally, whats the fuss... like that.
I am happy to have all the converts, and anchor sadhus the world can hold. More sattva, less crime, more of Him/Her being disucssed.
Something to rejoice!

pranams,

Eastern Mind
18 September 2007, 10:17 PM
Devisarada.. not for you, just a general comment.
Yajvan: I am not a recent convert, but for 30 years or so, and technically not a convert, but an adoptive. I've had the benefit of integration into the Sri Lankan Saivite community for that 30 years. Thanks for your wisdom. I am not that impatient with the recent converts... just a minor annoyance occasionally. I agree, the more the merrier, more peace, more inner reflection, and more slow social change. The world will be a better place. Aum Namashivaya

devisarada
19 September 2007, 05:54 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste EM and devisarada,
your points make sense... think of the new folks as those that just stopped smoking. Its a big deal to them, yet to others that have been breathing normally, whats the fuss... like that.
I am happy to have all the converts, and anchor sadhus the world can hold. More sattva, less crime, more of Him/Her being disucssed.
Something to rejoice!

pranams,

Namaste Yajvan,

I like your analogy of stopping smoking and breathing normally. It's true, people get excited and enthusiastic when they discover something new and valuable. And you're right, the more who follow the path of Vedic Dharma, the better.

ardhanari
28 November 2007, 02:44 PM
Although I am not formally part of the Hindu fold just yet, I feel the strong pull of Hinduism's mighty grasp over me. I am at present, studying and reading as much as possible on Hindu Dharma, specifically catering towards Chaitanya Vaishnavism and its various flavours.

I have always been quite spiritual, since 5 years old, and being raised a Catholic, I did ask questions. Eventually, I became agitated by the rigidity of Catholic Christianity at 11 years old, that I began finding my spiritual path at that particular age.

From 11-12 years old, I adopted this New Age/New Age Buddhistic philosophy, all with crystals, chakras, Atlantis and UFO's, and it wasn't until my adoption of Wicca at 13 when I established my first true religious identity.

I was eventually converted by my friend to Pentecostal Christianity at 14, but although I was 'slain in the Spirit' and could speak with the gift of tongues, I felt that my cell group in my church rather restrictive. The pressure to only listen to Christian music, only be with Christian friends, etc. caused me to go back into my Catholic background, and in time I received my Confirmation at 17. I was a Bible-reading, priest-wannabe Catholic. ;)

Last year, when I was 18, I talked to a friend who was a staunch atheist and hated all religions, especially Christianity, and especially Catholic Christianity. He got me wondering on the exclusivism on Jesus as the sole way to salvation. Now, the exclusivism does not hinder me much at all, since exclusivism exists in mostly all religions (I am exclusivist when it comes to Krishna), but it was the attitude that Christianity carried in the rest of the world with Jesus that got to me.

At that moment, I have read the Gita several times, but was interested in the Baha'i Faith. On September 28th, 2007, after a week of 'study,' instead of becoming a Hare Krishna, I became a Baha'i.

My love for Krishna never faded in time, and since my birthday passed, my love to serve Him and devote my life to Him had become even stronger, surpassing my love for Baha'u'llah. Although technically I am a Baha'i, at heart, I feel that I am a Chaitanya Vaishnavite. Presently 19 years old, I am fatigued by this constant searching, and now that my heart has felt something for Krishna, it is now merely learning more than searching.

I just am taking the slow road towards the goal, because I am afraid that this emotionalism is brief and passing. I pray that this is permanent, because it is the last line for me. Although I am open to other Hindu denominations and teachings, I remain and will remain a Hindu, a believer of the Vedas (I am reading them at present... very, very, utterly long...). If I am not desperate to leave the Faith now, I hope to be out of the Baha'i Faith around March.

Phew!

Hare Krishna!
Ardhanari.

devisarada
28 November 2007, 04:01 PM
Namaste Ardhanari,

I have read your post with some concern about your spiritual development. It seems that you are an earnest seeker who has not yet found his/her place in the cosmos.

I would strongly suggest that that you do NOT commit to becoming a Hindu or a follower of any other faith group officially for some time. Please study and reflect for at least 2 years before making that official leap.

I myself, after much searching started to follow the hindu path about 14 years ago. It was not until 12 years later that I made a formal committment to Hinduism. One can follow the Hindu path and be warmly accepted by Hindus without making that formal committment. Even after 12 years, I made the mistake of accepting a guru who I later discovered was not qualified to hold that position. So, my Dear, be very, very, careful, because dabbling in different spiritual traditions can be extremely dangerous to one's psyche.

I am old enough to be your grandmother, so, please take an elder's advice, and be very cautious. Hinduism is full of rich traditions and much universal ancient wisdom. By their very powerful nature, there are some practices, which, when engaged in prematurely, or with the guidance of an unqualified guru, can cause unimaginable, and sometimes irreparable harm.

Take the time to reflect. After all, we call it Sanatana Dharma. It is Eternal, and it will always be there for you when you know for sure that this is the path you wish to follow.

I wish you good fortune and may Bhagwan/Devi Mata guide you in making the correct and mature decision.

I do not wish to discourage you from following the Hindu path, far from it. For those educated in its intricacies and mysteries, Sanatana Dharma is a powerful force towards inner peace and union with the Supreme Absolute. However, to the uninitiated, it is but superficial magick, with a great potential for one's own psychic destruction.

ardhanari
28 November 2007, 04:54 PM
Thank you, mataji. I will definitely follow your advice, for you are the first one to have offered something that I duely needed these past few weeks!

Jaya Radhe,
Ardhanari.

karun
03 April 2008, 07:55 AM
dear friends
as a new forum member and western-hindu let me add my personal point of view:

actualy it is very simple. as soon as you understand, that hindu philosophy is mainly about consciousness, you realise it is about YOU. if you think hinduism is about god, i would say: not realy...it is about consciousness of god.

there are more and more western hindus being aware of that. incense, temples and pictures (i love them!!!) might be "indian" but consciousness never is.

when i was young, i had these spontanious experiences of being unbounded consciousness, thou nobody told me about it before. later i realised that hinduism is talking just about that: we are sat-chit-ananda.

regards and looking forward to be in exchange with you all
karun

devisarada
06 April 2008, 11:19 AM
If you reduce Hinduism to merely "god consciousness" you are treading on thin ice. "God-Consciousness" is.one of the hallmarks of the New Age movement, the term has also been adopted by certain Christian evangelists to try and woo Hindus, and New Agers.

This next comment is not directed at you Varun.

I know a number of people who call themselves Hindus and IMHO hey are actually more New Age. The know a few mantras and some jargon, but can't tell the difference between Lakshmi and Saraswati Ma.

Being Hindu is a way of living, a way of relating to the world, and even a system of logic that is different from what we Westerners at first think. The more you get into it, the more you realise how little you know.

MananAtma
03 June 2008, 07:20 PM
Namaste,
I am also a western Hindu, been going through a lot of soul searching, so I have not been that active here. Hoping to change that. If you want know more about me, my blog is http://360.yahoo.com/mananatma .

Shanti,
Roy

kd gupta
10 May 2009, 09:22 AM
My dear friends

Thanks for starting this thread. Our friend Bhairava 108 is a shiva bhakt ,it seems. Pl. change your name from Bhairava 108 to Shiva 108 , as bhairava is not to be prayed. Worship of bhanwan shankar includes , first GANESH , secod PARVATI ,and then bhgwan Shankar.The mantra is..
AUM namah parvatipataye har har mahadeo. It includes all three.
Mantra for bhagwan Vishnu is…
AUM namo bhagwate vasudevay.
There are incarnation of parmatma as great souls, Bhagwan Vishnu as Ramchandra, Krishna and bhagwan Shankar as Hanuman.
According to Vedas parmatma is formless and attains form as great souls. The only truth is parmatma which can be felt with Ananyabhakti and seen even as described in Bhagwatgita and Ramcharitmans , the holy hindu granthas.
Thank you all for having faith in Hinduism.

Eastern Mind
10 May 2009, 10:43 AM
My dear friends

Thanks for starting this thread. Our friend Bhairava 108 is a shiva bhakt ,it seems. Pl. change your name from Bhairava 108 to Shiva 108 , as bhairava is not to be prayed. Worship of bhanwan shankar includes , first GANESH , secod PARVATI ,and then bhgwan Shankar.The mantra is..
AUM namah parvatipataye har har mahadeo. It includes all three.
Mantra for bhagwan Vishnu is…
AUM namo bhagwate vasudevay.
There are incarnation of parmatma as great souls, Bhagwan Vishnu as Ramchandra, Krishna and bhagwan Shankar as Hanuman.
According to Vedas parmatma is formless and attains form as great souls. The only truth is parmatma which can be felt with Ananyabhakti and seen even as described in Bhagwatgita and Ramcharitmans , the holy hindu granthas.
Thank you all for having faith in Hinduism.

Namaste KD Gupta:

Hinduism is vast. Very vast. I cannot stress this enough. Here in my home town we have 5 temples, each with its own point of view, and particular style of worship. At the temple I go to, the devotees are many and varied. Worship is in Sanskrit, and the founding community was Sri Lankan Tamil primarily. Now we have Bengalis, Punjabis, Gujuratis, Malayalam, Kannada, Tamil, western converts, Caribbean Hindus, Fijians, Telugu speakers, Nepalese, Marathi speakers, and Hindi speakers. On any given Sunday there are probably 7 or 8 languages spoken.

Within Hinduism its similar. People worship various forms of Godhead, as they see fit. This temple, being Saiva, built from the Saiva Agama principles, has shrines to Ganapati, Siva, Murugan, a mix in the vasantha mandapam, including Rajarajeshwari, and to Bhairava. There are no main shrines to Hanuman, Krishna, Rama, Durga etc. Other temples in our city have similar variations, excepting that most wouldn't have ashrine for Murugan. (many north Indians I've met don't even know who Murugan is)

I worship Bhairava each time I enter and leave this temple. In my view, He is the psychic guardian of the temple, and I thank Him for allowing me to enter the temple and the Sanatana Dharma. In my view, He is verily God siva Himself. I do not worship Krishna, Shakti, (other than as the Effect principle of Siva) or Hanuman. That's my choice.

What you are stating in the above is your particular take on the Dharma. I beseech you to consider a wider view. Please don't get me wrong. I just find it somewhat Christian like when you for example, suggest someone changes his name. It may well be discouraging to Bhairava 108. I can't speak for him. No one, in my view, has the right to dictate how another person should or should not believe. This is for the sake of humanity. I find the Christians and the Iskconites very similar when they attempt to convert me. Its insulting. I came to my personal viewpoint through many hours of study, meditation, and reflection. I am not saying it is right for you too, just that it's right for me.

What you represent is called ethnocentricity in social science terms. Its completely understandable, yet frustrating for onlookers, on occasion as well. It's when a person sees their village, their religion, their take on their religion, their language, their food, their way of dress, etc., as 'better' than everyone else's.

Aum Namasivasya

kd gupta
10 May 2009, 11:55 AM
sorry
o.k., do as you wish..

atanu
12 May 2009, 01:57 AM
Namaste EM,

The solution, as noted nicely by Naomi in another thread is: "..if we are speaking of totality, is there even a two to speak of? "

If Mahavishnu is the only eko based on shri Gupta's reading: 'Eko brahma dwativo nasti [ parmatma is one and only one , above all say brahma ,vishnu and mahesh ] He is mahavishnu see the vedmantra------- then is rudra another eko based on the following reading of svetasvatara?

eko rudra dvittiya nastu?

Om

Eastern Mind
12 May 2009, 01:15 PM
Atanu: I didn't think there was a problem. I hope I didn't scare off a potential contributing member though.

Aum Namasivaya

kd gupta
09 August 2009, 10:01 AM
suggestions (http://suggestions) invited
http://vedastra.blogspot.com/ (http://vedastra.blogspot.com/) :)

charitra
25 April 2012, 09:34 AM
Please visit 'western hindu' blog run by Chris who goes by the hindu name Tandava. This is in reference to my encouragement to all those nonborn hindus, who harbor some justified and some unhustified concerns that maybe bothering them, especially about ‘acceptance’ by the born ones. The blog lists many other westerners who narrate their own experiences with hinduism serving an inspirational source to undertake their journey into sanatana dharma.Overwhelming majority of born hindus are here to welcome newcomers, although a few traditionalists have some baseless concerns about the new entrants. My personal observation is that the recently awakened hindus (somehow I don’t feel comfortable to use the term ‘converted’) have a greater depth of understanding about the faith than many born ones out there. These new hindus serve as great ambassadors to spread all that is good about this ancient and time tested faith, dispelling the myths surrounding it and in erasing the misinformation spread maliciously against it. Generously quote and advertise these blogs in verious regional newspapers for the general good of our religion. Namaste. ;)

Tāṇḍava
25 April 2012, 10:21 AM
Please visit 'western hindu' blog run by Chris who goes by the hindu name Tandava.
Namashkar,
Thanks, I am glad that it is useful to you. I should say though, don't take any of it as spiritual guidance. It is just thoughts by someone bumping along the path, which might perhaps encourage others who are doing the same.

devotee
25 April 2012, 11:15 PM
Namashkar,
Thanks, I am glad that it is useful to you. I should say though, don't take any of it as spiritual guidance. It is just thoughts by someone bumping along the path, which might perhaps encourage others who are doing the same.

Namaste Tandava,

It is interesting. Can you provide the link ?

OM

Tāṇḍava
26 April 2012, 01:32 AM
Namaste Tandava,

It is interesting. Can you provide the link ?

OM

I can certainly provide a link: http://western-hindu.org/

I hope you find it interesting, when I read back on articles I find them of mixed quality. The menu tab "Westerners Following Hinduism" takes you to a page which lists blogs by other converts to Hinduism

devotee
26 April 2012, 06:49 AM
Thanks Tandava ! The site is quite valuable for the "New"-Hindus (not really a correct expression. Imho, all of us are born Hindus until indoctrinated into some extreme beliefs by parents and the society) and there is so much to learn for the born-Hindus too. Great commendable work, friend ! :)

OM

charitra
12 May 2012, 06:38 PM
I have a questin to western and other non born hindus.

By embracing hinduism, did your social life change in anyway?
I mean do you eat out less, watch movies and sports less often, make merry less frequently. Things you were engaging yourselves in before, have they started looking any less interesting. Have you started spending weekends and holidays any different from before, like staying indoors more. Is there a social disconnect that crept in quietly? Just curious.Namaste.

Eastern Mind
12 May 2012, 07:00 PM
Vannakkam charitra: I may be different than some here because it's been 35 to 40 years, not 2 or 3.

Yes I changed back then at 21 ... but having a family and settling down may have had far greater impact than conversion did.

I have no non-Hindu friends any more. When I worked I had some acquaintances, but other than maybe 5 times over 30 years when I went for a beer after work, none became friends. There was little in common. Now that family(parents) is gone, holidays are Hindu or secular ones.
About the only thing I can think of that made the jump from before to after is a love for baseball. I can still watch a good ball game, never understood cricket. I no longer enjoy (ice) hockey much as its just way too violent, although I will watch it.
Rarely ate out before, rarely eat out now. Travel a lot more, but its always pilgrimage. Diet changed quite a bit.
Interested in what others think.
For me personally, cultural Hindu and philosophical Hindu are almost synonymous.

Aum Namasivaya

Mana
12 May 2012, 11:59 PM
हरिः ओम्

Namaste charita,

My full adoption of satya sanātana dharma has coincided with a big change in my social life, I am currently quite isolated not so much by choice as by practise, nearly all socialising here turns about alcohol. I am wanting to take a new direction that the social ways of the West are not very compatible with, my hours for example are out of kilter with most of the people that I know, only last night I was telephoned by a friend at 10 o'clock at night, when I had already been in bed for an hour. I tell them but it is as if they do not hear, such is my reality.

I am also perceived as being very odd due to fact that my nature leads to my speaking up for what I believe in when I hear things which I consider are adharmin.

The social structure about me turns almost entirely on competition selfishness and aggressivity. I do what I can as a soul who is hypersensitive; to remain balanced and have a positive rather than negative effect.

It is a struggle to remain motivated for work; I really am fundamentally opposed to our monetary and economic system.

My spiritual awareness has both hindered and help this situation as although it is often quite painful I am better able now to grasp my true direction.

One of the greatest life changing events for me that sanātana dharma has brought to me. My recent discovery of Jyotish; by this divine science I am better able to understand the energy changes in my self and the turmoil that I see in the souls about me. Slowly I become able to be pro active, in ways which were not previously possible, I have still much work to do but I have now a direction.

I have now an explanation where previously, I had put people at fault. This has helped, and is helping me to forgive.

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

ShivaFan
13 May 2012, 12:05 AM
I realized I was a Hindu probably about 8 years of age. My experience may not be as typical as some, it was a very natural alliance and was also part of my journey and discovery of India. I think I was typical of the times, India was a great interest of myself and pretty much everyone I knew from friends and family and teachers and why not? India IS fascinating, so deep, I don't know what it was about my decade, but we just connected with it all, and found Hinduism right away. My mother was interested in Lord Buddha, even to this day she asks me questions during long phone conversations. I was lucky to have met 3 gurus or teachers who became famous, and even my teachers in the university were very interested in "Indian philosophy". There were no particular walls put between me and the instant love that myself and so many I knew had for Hindism and related religion and philosophy. I do not name gurus, there are great gurus and wonderful teachers and authors. God is with us, it is a natural thing that isn't Western or Eastern or any such thing ... it was instant.

Vaikuntha Bound.
15 May 2012, 01:28 AM

I mean do you eat out less, watch movies and sports less often, make merry less frequently. Things you were engaging yourselves in before, have they started looking any less interesting. Have you started spending weekends and holidays any different from before, like staying indoors more. Is there a social disconnect that crept in quietly? Just curious.Namaste.

Namaste Charitra,

My social life hasn't changed drastically. I used to rarely go out to bars and clubs. I don't go out to bars or clubs ever now. More that has to do with being a husband and a father than it does with being a hindu. I still socialize with friends, but that has a lot more to do with "things we can do at home", like making dinner and playing board games.

I used to go hiking a lot. I used to work out quite a bit. I liked to cook. I enjoyed spending time with my girlfriend. I liked to work hard because I enjoyed my job.

Now I enjoy God's creation when I hike. I maintain my body when I work out. I cook prasadam for the Lord's enjoyment, and do so healthfully for my family's sustenence. I don't just see my wife as someone who's fun and attractive - she's a gift and her love is a trust. I still enjoy my job and work hard, but I probably treat people a little differently than I did before. More or less, I'm doing a lot of the same things I did before, only there's this dimension added to it that makes everything feel new. A lot of my life is the same, but I'm seeing it through different eyes.

All the best,

VB

Maya3
15 May 2012, 07:29 AM

No, I'm pretty much the same. But my weekend visits to my Ashram a couple of times a year is new. Other than that, I'm the same.

Maya

Jainarayan
15 May 2012, 08:51 AM
Namaste.

I've never really had a social life. I have no friends to speak of. Not because I'm obnoxious or drive people away, but because I prefer to keep a distance and a wall around me. Ironically, people are attracted to me. Must be my brand of bodywash. :p

I can count on my fingers and toes the number of times I've ever been to a club/bar since I was 18 (then the legal drinking age in NJ). I don't like them: the atmosphere, noise, crowds, obnoxious drunks. Besides, I don't drink. I'm a water or seltzer-w/ lemon-and/or-lime-kind of guy. I don't dance either. Come to think of it, I'm really a stiff. :Cool:

My eating out consists of Saturday and Sunday mornings at the local Greek diner/restaurant while, before or after running errands and my weekend morning routine; occasionally I have an evening there.

My free time consists of working out; playing guitar; reading (mostly my newly hoarded collection of scriptures and religious writings and commentaries), all of which I am trying to do more of. I also like some TV... Discovery Science, History Channel: shows like How the Universe Works; The Universe; Through the Wormhole and the like; pretty much anything cosmological.

I have noticed an increase in spiritual mentality. How can I not, when virtually every wall has an image of a diety, or a group of deities? I can look up from whatever I'm doing and begin thinking on God. Maybe that's my form of meditation.

mradam83
12 June 2012, 05:07 PM
namaskar!

I digress.

Namaste.

Well for me, I had known about Hinduism for some time as my late bro (non biological brother) and his family are all Hindu of Bengali descent. They have never been preachy, but over time I have found out little bits about what they believe.

When he left this life, his funeral was a big eye opener - for such an occasion, it was beautiful. The garments he wore, the way his coffin was decorated with spices and the way we all chanted "Om, Shanti, Om" really affirmed something in me but I have never resonated on it until recently.

Arjuni
15 June 2012, 03:17 PM
Namasté,

Charitra, regarding your question about a 'social disconnect':
To be a Hindu is not necessarily to lead a pleasurable life, but to understand the priceless opportunity of human life: to realise a purpose much deeper than the pursuit of pleasure. So I think that lifestyle changes are inevitable for the convert, unless one is already leading a very sattvic life...

For me, becoming Hindu was like inviting in a storm, which blew away everything from the life I'd led and left only the truth of myself behind. This was a very good thing, to change everything completely, though at first it seemed difficult and painful.

I do not socially smoke or drink, or spend time in bars or lounges, anymore. I do not perform on stage or work in the theatre any longer. I am alienated from family members, those who had not already ceased contact, am no longer married, and have few friends. I socialise much less now, partly because I am working two jobs, in order to save money and return to India to study.

Or, to rephrase all of these in a much better light: I feel pleased with life, able to see it more clearly and objectively, and no longer wish to obscure it with substances. I do not want to spend my time in activities which I feel bind me to worldly details, and take time away from study and worship. I know that my choice to be Hindu, and to seek Lord, will alienate many people who knew me as more outgoing, but this I cannot help. I have a goal now, and am happy to work in pursuit of it.

My character was much like this when I was younger; I changed as I grew older and had more experiences. So each day, I am grateful to be Hindu, to have been able to dust off and revive a person far better than the one I had become.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

charitra
16 June 2012, 04:31 PM
I have a question to western and other non born hindus. By embracing hinduism, did your social life change in anyway? Is there a social disconnect that crept in quietly? Just curious.Namaste.

Thanks for the responses, I was not expecting myself to sum up on this topic, and take away the original impact of heartfelt explanations offered by you all. But then briefly, barring Indraneela everyone else proved my expectations wrong. Not much changed so it seems in the social scene AFTERe mbracing the dharmic faith, and that’s interesting.

Indraneela, sorry for what you have gone through, but then you must lighten up on your part and confine Hinduism to the depths of your heart whilst trying to socialize, live , with your relatives and friends as near normal life as possible, unless of course they are too acrimonious towards you. We play different roles in a given day as a sibling, spouse, child, parent, colleague, employee, citizen soforth and some pretence is fine to keep the social fabric healthy. Like for example. going to a pub but not consuming alcohol is better than avoiding the same social class altogether. Being a miniscule minority among Christian majority we have to ‘assimilate’ and, yes, it is an irksome onesided affair; how much leverage we get from the majority only depends on us. Thankfully Americas are minority friendly, this I say as I already have lived in a muslim nation, a living hell for the religious minorities.

On a sidenote, please do explore the possibility of getting a central govt scholarship from Delhi, I heard plenty of funding is available for foreign students. You get to go to universities located in one of the metropolitan cities. The key is to call up the universities and start talking, there are some very inexpensive tel deals to call Indian cities, please do some online search. Going there without a scholarship is unthinkable. Namaste.

Believer
16 June 2012, 09:40 PM
Namaste,

Psychoanalyst Erich Fromm wrote, "Man by origin is a herd animal. His actions are determined by an instinctive impulse to follow the leader and to have close contact with other animals around him. Inasmuch as we are sheep, there is no greater threat to our existence than to lose this contact with the herd and be isolated. But we are also human; we are endowed with reason which by its very nature is independent of the herd. Rationalization is a compromise between our sheep nature and our human capacity to think. And the full emergence of reason depends on our attaining independence so that our judgement is not based on our fear of being isolated from the herd. A few individuals can stand this isolation and say the truth in spite of the danger of losing touch. They are the true heroes of the human race but for whom we would still be living in caves."

I have a goal now, and am happy to work in pursuit of it.
You go girl! :)

Pranam.

Arjuni
25 June 2012, 08:23 PM
Namasté,

Thank you both, for the extremely kind words and words of advice. :o

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

vikz22
11 July 2012, 11:01 AM
I'm not entirely sure of this definition of "western Hindu" or if i count as one, but i'm from England, born and raised, and was raised a hindu, (i guess thats a western hindu :) )

I do eat meat, but not beef (i guess thats a discussion more for the other threads on the forum :) )

I'm from a city called Leicester, which is fairly multicultural, but also has a large population of indians (mostly those that originated from East Africa)

Growing up, majority of my friends were hindus, few christians, and few muslims (this was more due to the area/school we went to, majority asian areas). This was good as we all could talk about hinduism (through the mind of a kid of course, no deep philosophical items!) and celebrate festivals together!

When i started my degree in Manchester, i began to hang out with indians less, purely because the majority of the people on my course, or those that lived with me, worked with me, were white/Christians. Its during these recent years that i've started to find out more about Hinduism, as it feels i'm losing touch with it slightly having no one really around me who is a hindu too.

As i work in science (particle physicist) a lot of people are atheists, so religion doesn't really come up much.

I joined this forum mainly to learn and read more about Hinduism from those more learned then me. I kinda want to learn more the philosophical side of Hinduism, literature and such, and to gain an understanding on what some of the rituals one does daily, or for festivals actually mean

In terms of how Hinduism shapes me, i don't really know how to answer this. I mean i don't eat beef, but i do eat meat. I don't often go to the mandir, except during major religious festivals (at the moment its only for Diwali).

i always thought there were few restrictions when growing up in relation to being a hindu, no hard set rules, or no strict adherence to rules if you don't want, its down to the person to choose how they lead their life. I like the idea of karma, and dharma, compared with the more hard fast rules of Judaism, Christianity, Islam.

This is a pretty garbled response to the opening post of this thread, so apologies for that, but it probably shows the level of confusion and lack of clarity i currently feel,

thanks

Vikash

charitra
14 July 2012, 01:14 PM
what do you think dear westerners. Are you all worried or rather hesitant to disclose your love of Hinduism? The below blogpost spurred my interest and made me raise above question. How do you all handle the situation in your day to day life now that still Hinduism in west is almost nonexistent among white people. Do you all remain elusive and evasive , which is the best option in my opinion? Namaste.

http://rollingwithvishnu.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/on-being-a-closeted-hindu/ (http://rollingwithvishnu.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/on-being-a-closeted-hindu/)

quote: “……..I have a friend whois homosexual and Hindu who told me that it was easier telling people he wasgay than it was to deal with people finding out he is Hindu. On one level itmakes perfect sense when you think about it. Being homosexual is not somethingthat he had a say in. With faith/religuality, we have the choice and may feelthe obligation to fluently and knowledgeably back up this decision whichaccording to some, will have infinite consequences for our soul.

But on another level, when youthink about what a stigma there is in our society with homosexuality despitethe progress that’s been made in recent years, and then think that it is harderfor a white American kid to tell his family he is not Christian…it is almostmind-numbing. Think about it. Most of the people who would have a problem withmy friend not being Christian probably think he had a choice with hishomosexuality to begin with and therefore coming out as Hindu should not havebeen too much harder to reveal to this bunch….” End quote.

McKitty
14 July 2012, 01:26 PM
Vanakkam,

Hm, I think it varies to much from person to person...I mean it depend upon the family. In the same country you can fing hard christians, or strict parents, or more or less open minded and educated people...So their "Hindu westerners childrens" will have different behaviors regarding this.

The exact contrary happened to a friend. He got kicked out of the house because he was homosexual. But his parents nerver cared about the fact that he converted to Islam earlier.

I have another friend whose parents are "strict/traditionnal" people. Meaning that, to their eyes, she have to be a straight christian and having 6 childrens. She is Hindu and the exact countrary...But it's difficult to talk about the subject in her house because it causes tension and yelling in the family....

Eastern or western, how can a child, alone, endure the hard opinion of their parents ?

More personnal: When I told hesitantly to my parents about Sanatana Dharma, they just said: "So what ? You wanna be Hinduist ? Then go for it, I don't care, you're still my daughter."

Sometimes it can create surprises: even my very christian aunt didn't care about it, just sayin' "well, so what's the problem?"

But I think that many cultural and religious mixes in west, my different conceptions, differences of education and open mindedness, I think every case is different ^^" so I don't think we can clearly answer or give statistics

Aum Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
14 July 2012, 01:33 PM
Vannakkam Charitra: Well, I'm definitely out of the closet. Back in 1980 when I legally changed my name, that pretty much did it. I'm not at all ashamed to call myself a Hindu, and I won't try to cover it up by saying, "I'm interested in Hinduism", or "I'm interested in eastern spirituality."

On the other hand, I don't purposefully wear it on my sleeve in public. Very few people do. Some turbaned Sikhs, a few Muslims do. I think its generally respected, at least in these parts. The other day I wore veshti and tilak to a local hotel, and I didn't receive a single odd look. Most people are so focused on themselves anyway, and we live in such a multicultural society, basically anything is normal.

Sticking to the idea of Hindus not proseltysing, i only address it when asked, like if someone asks about my name.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
14 July 2012, 02:34 PM
Namasté,

Are you all worried or rather hesitant to disclose your love of Hinduism?...How do you all handle the situation in your day to day life now that still Hinduism in west is almost nonexistent among white people. Do you all remain elusive and evasive , which is the best option in my opinion?

In my teens and early-20s, as a non-Christian still living in the States, I felt the same hesitation and worry that this blogger describes. Revealing oneself as a member of a minority religion is difficult, especially when you're new on the path, and people ask extremely deep, difficult questions whose answers you may not yet have. As a shy person who treasures harmony, also, I found it hard to answer honestly, knowing that my reply would alienate, offend, upset, and/or concern the Christian(s) with whom I was speaking. I felt that it was easier, and kinder, to be silent.

Now I am older, Hindu, and living in Canada; I realise that life is short and that it holds far more burning, urgent questions to explore than, "But what if someone doesn't like it?" Please understand, I do not make light of the struggle faced by those who live among bigots, where being different can be uncomfortable or even dangerous. But I don't face that problem, and thus have no excuse for evasion. My family lives far away, my few friends actually like me, one of my jobs is at home (I can be as Hindu as I want while I work), and at my other job, where I enjoy the protection of a union, I keep a small shrine at my desk. Every day I wear tilaka and rudrākṣa (and in the last two years have received just one unkind remark). As EM says, there is no proselytising; I don't bring up the subject or talk about beliefs unless asked. But I also don't avoid it or become nervous with questions like I used to, either.

In my heart, I rejoice each day that I enjoy the freedom to be open in my religion without ever being interrogated, mocked, or hurt for it. I feel thus a duty to be honest with myself and with others, and not hide behind masks and evasions, because I face no consequences for this openness except to my ego, that someone might not like me. Most importantly, though, Truth is Lord's nature, and I would rather please Him than any human.

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Jainarayan
14 July 2012, 04:14 PM
Namaste.

what do you think dear westerners. Are you all worried or rather hesitant to disclose your love of Hinduism? The below blogpost spurred my interest and made me raise above question. How do you all handle the situation in your day to day life now that still Hinduism in west is almost nonexistent among white people. Do you all remain elusive and evasive , which is the best option in my opinion? Namaste.

I don't hide it, though as EM says, I don't wear it on my sleeve. People seem genuinely interested that an Italian-American is Hindu, when they do find out. Responses are along the lines of "Really!? How did that come about?" and a genuine interest in hearing it.

devisarada
14 July 2012, 06:08 PM
I have no problem telling people that I am a Hindu. It's the other way around. The recipients of this news often react as if I have suddenly grown 2 or 3 more heads. Being different in a mainly WASP Toronto society has always been a part of my life.

Hinduism is regarded by many as idolatry. Often it is confused with Islam and Sikhism. (Terrorism?)

Buddhism, thanks to the Dalai Lama' public relation skills, does not seem to come with such a stigma.

But that is all OK. Yes, gays have the explanation that they had no choice, but I chose to be a Hindu after much research and many years of contemplation. I was born into a Christian family. I have no cultural or hereditary cause to fall back on. I am fully responsible for accepting Sanatan Dharm, and I stand firmly with my beliefs.

Therefore, to many people, I must have turned to an esoteric, eastern version of Satanism. (Sanatan)

When I formally broke with Christianity, my pastor asked me if I was worried that I would burn in hell. I said I'll take my chances.

My family has ostracized me. That is a necessary cost in my case. Should I live a lie, for the sake of relationships, or should I be true to my beliefs? The answer is obvious: " to thine own self be true"

I have joined a number of Abrahamic religious forums trying to foster goodwill amongst people of all faiths.

I have realized that this is a pipe dream. With so many factions amongst the various forms of Abrahamic religions believing that only their own particular belief is valid, trying to explain Hinduism to these people is futile.

Even some new Hindus still couch their thinking in Christian terms, talking about what God wants from them. As a Hindu, I don't think that God wants anything from me. S/he has everything s/he needs. Whatever actions I take, will be added to my karmic account, and I shall reap what I sow.

Have the courage of your convictions, and proudly state what you believe in, but do not proselytise. Those friends from you past who stick with you are the true friends. The others were just an illusion.

As a Hindu, I strive for a state of equanimity, not feeling hurt by rejection, and not being overly joyful for having been praised.

Vaikuntha Bound.
14 July 2012, 07:51 PM
Namaste!

I must be insanely lucky, because my parents encouraged my interest in Hinduism from a very early age. Everyone whose opinion impacts me knows that I'm a Hindu. It has come up at work a few times through people wondering why I took a seemingly random day off, or people approaching me on my lunch break and wondering what I'm reading. Either way, it's never been a big deal. I've had a couple of Muslim or evangelical Christian acquaintances who thought it very important to tell me that I'm wrong, but I don't really think enough of that opinion to engage it anymore.

I'm sure that there are a few people who judge me for my weird religion. Well, if they didn't have that to judge me for, they'd probably find something else to criticize. But more often than not people are just interested. I've given away more than a few copies of the Bhagavad Gita, and most of those have found their way into multiple sets of hands.

I tend to think that if you don't give people the chance to be a jerk about something, only the real hardcore jerk will say anything. And their opinions don't matter.

Take care,

VB

charitra
18 July 2012, 12:44 PM
Thank you for the responses.

The insignificant numbers of hindus in western hemisphere combined with the misinterpretations surrounding the idol worship and caste system are a huge drawback. Sadly as a result, in the west, disgruntled Christians are embracing a much more primitive abrahamic faith , brushing aside a much more enlightening Hinduism. The more serious problem IMO though is the ignorance of hindus about their own faith. Hindu mandirs must pitch in sermonizing the doctrinal philosophy in small doses right in their mandirs, otherwise the noise about these above 2 contentious issues will get louder from inside and outside. ‘Teach them at home’ is not going to work, it never did. Namaste.

Vasa
18 July 2012, 02:00 PM
Namaste.

I don't hide it, though as EM says, I don't wear it on my sleeve. People seem genuinely interested that an Italian-American is Hindu, when they do find out. Responses are along the lines of "Really!? How did that come about?" and a genuine interest in hearing it.

Namaste,

I can relate to this, as a lily-white 6'7" blonde and blue eyed Swedish-American, people have a hard time fathoming how I can be a Hindu. In the end, it doesn't bother me, I did not adopt this way of life to please other people.

There are many Indian-natives at my work place who have a difficult time accepting it, because they came here and converted to Christianity to fit in and when I ask them to teach me to speak their dialect or ask questions about Indian culture they kind of get the "deer in headlights" look. In a way I think they regret their decision, as Christianity did not come with the fulfillment that they were expecting, nor with any peace.

I can also relate to Indraneela, my social habits have completely changed in the past 6 months. I've been a singer in rock bands for my whole life, and though I still sing and still work with my current band, the alcohol and substance abuse that went with it has completely vanished. I used to smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day but I asked Lord Shiva to take the habit from me, without any withdrawal, as a "test" but he actually did it. I had tried to quit smoking for 15 years and never had success, after praying to Shiva I never even got the urge to smoke again. That was when I first discovered that things were happening outside of my normal control and it was time to surrender and go with it. I spend most of my free time listening to discourses, reading, praying and meditating, and to e honest I have never been happier.

sanjaya
18 July 2012, 08:40 PM
I'm not entirely sure of this definition of "western Hindu" or if i count as one, but i'm from England, born and raised, and was raised a hindu, (i guess thats a western hindu :) )

I do eat meat, but not beef (i guess thats a discussion more for the other threads on the forum :) )

I'm from a city called Leicester, which is fairly multicultural, but also has a large population of indians (mostly those that originated from East Africa)

Growing up, majority of my friends were hindus, few christians, and few muslims (this was more due to the area/school we went to, majority asian areas). This was good as we all could talk about hinduism (through the mind of a kid of course, no deep philosophical items!) and celebrate festivals together!

When i started my degree in Manchester, i began to hang out with indians less, purely because the majority of the people on my course, or those that lived with me, worked with me, were white/Christians. Its during these recent years that i've started to find out more about Hinduism, as it feels i'm losing touch with it slightly having no one really around me who is a hindu too.

As i work in science (particle physicist) a lot of people are atheists, so religion doesn't really come up much.

I joined this forum mainly to learn and read more about Hinduism from those more learned then me. I kinda want to learn more the philosophical side of Hinduism, literature and such, and to gain an understanding on what some of the rituals one does daily, or for festivals actually mean

In terms of how Hinduism shapes me, i don't really know how to answer this. I mean i don't eat beef, but i do eat meat. I don't often go to the mandir, except during major religious festivals (at the moment its only for Diwali).

i always thought there were few restrictions when growing up in relation to being a hindu, no hard set rules, or no strict adherence to rules if you don't want, its down to the person to choose how they lead their life. I like the idea of karma, and dharma, compared with the more hard fast rules of Judaism, Christianity, Islam.

This is a pretty garbled response to the opening post of this thread, so apologies for that, but it probably shows the level of confusion and lack of clarity i currently feel,

thanks

Vikash

Hey Vikash, good to meet you! I work in your guys' sister field, particle astrophysics. I think our experience is the same with the large number of atheists. But I've found that they are mostly atheist out of a dislike of the dominant religion in America and Europe, and are usually interested in talking to me about Hinduism. Wish I had more to tell them.

It looks like us "Western Hindus" (by which I mean Indians born and raised in the West) might share a common thread. I also grew up having mostly Hindu friends, went off to college and spent most of my time with white people, and found that I didn't really know anything about Hinduism. Good to see I'm not the only one on this forum.

Jodhaa
21 August 2012, 11:07 AM
Namaste Everyone!

I'm glad to see this thread. It helps to read about other western Hindu experiences.

I was raised by Catholic parents - but because of moving around a lot spent time in Lutheran and Baptist environments.

Despite not practicing the faith I grew up with since highschool, I can honestly say I have no negative personal experiences with Christianity. A lot of people break away because of negative experiences, which is very understandable. I broke away simply because God wasn't "speaking to me" anymore. I didn't sense a connection anymore. As a child, church was all about singing and community - as you grow up and are expected to "take it seriously" suddenly, all the joy was gone.

So at various points in my life I was agnostic, then atheist. I thought Atheism would solve the "God Problem" by just getting rid of God. But that's not really how it works. There are still empty spaces to fill and questions that need answering.

My attraction to Hinduism has happened slowly over the last 5 years or so and has recently blossomed in the last 6 months.

I am happy for those who feel comfortable proclaiming their new faith. I am sadly not there yet. I'm getting there though. I know how Hinduism is perceived by White, Christian America - because that's where I came from. I know my family and friends would accept it on the surface. As in, they aren't going to violently protest or disown me. But I still doubt they will take my new faith seriously.

Now, I know intellectually their opinion shouldn't matter. But I know I am psychologically susceptible to their judgement.

I think Hinduism is looked askance at for the same reasons Wicca or other Pagan religions are. Many people who grow up in traditional Christian household look at the "idol worship" and the complex rituals and think there some sort of black magic involved. Or that because it's unfamiliar it must a be a cult. I know exactly what my mother would think: "You can't be Hindu because you didn't grow up Hindu and you're not Indian."

Also, there is a popular term that young, guilty, white kids like to use a lot: "Cultural Appropriation". Since Hinduism is strongly associated with Indian culture, to practice it as a Caucasian American is viewed as cultural appropriation - or playing "dress up".

I look forward to the day when I feel empowered enough to announce my new faith. It is coming soon - I can feel that much. But we shall see.

Thanks for reading!

Peace!

vikz22
21 August 2012, 02:46 PM
Hey Vikash, good to meet you! I work in your guys' sister field, particle astrophysics. I think our experience is the same with the large number of atheists. But I've found that they are mostly atheist out of a dislike of the dominant religion in America and Europe, and are usually interested in talking to me about Hinduism. Wish I had more to tell them.

It looks like us "Western Hindus" (by which I mean Indians born and raised in the West) might share a common thread. I also grew up having mostly Hindu friends, went off to college and spent most of my time with white people, and found that I didn't really know anything about Hinduism. Good to see I'm not the only one on this forum.

Hi Sanjaya!!

nice to meet a fellow physicist!!

you're right, not many people know about hinduism in this field, they only tend to know about the abrahamic religions! you are also right in the fact that they are fascinated with Hinduism since we have such vibrant and colourful celebrations! (had a discussion recently with my superior about raksha banden, and the rakhis on my arm)

Jodhaa
22 August 2012, 07:49 AM
you are also right in the fact that they are fascinated with Hinduism since we have such vibrant and colourful celebrations! (had a discussion recently with my superior about raksha banden, and the rakhis on my arm)

It's wonderful to hear that you were greeted with healthy curiosity! It's good to know that some outside the faith are brave enough to ask questions instead sit and wonder.