PDA

View Full Version : The Wisdom Of Vidura

yajvan
18 July 2007, 07:32 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
For those interested in wise yet practical knowlege, one would look to Vidura. He is found in the Mahabharata, giving council to the King Dhritarashtra. This wisdom is simple, practical and profound. I have added the link below, and took a section of his insights to the King for your consideration.

Dhritarashtra said: I desire to hear from you words that are beneficial and fraught with high morality. In this race of royal Rishis thou alone are reverenced by the wise

Vidura discusses the following:
These Two
Even as a serpent devours animals living in holes, the earth devours these two:

A king who is incompetent to fight, and a Brahmana (Brahmin) who does not sojourn to holy places.
A man may attain renown in this world by doing two things, by refraining from harsh speech, and by disregarding those that are wicked.
These two are like sharp thorns afflicting the body, the desires of a poor man, and the anger of the impotent.
These two persons never shine because of their incompatible acts, a householder without exertion, and a beggar busied in schemesVidura muni then goes on to talk of These 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10, and uses the same format. I have never left Vidura's wisdom without being impressed. See what you think if you have the time.

http://www.hinduism.co.za/vidura-n.htm#Vidur%20Niti