PDA

View Full Version : Practical example- Using Hora Calculations

yajvan
19 July 2007, 09:29 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

the last post on hora's informed the reader what day and hours are owned by the grahas. Now how can one test this and put it to practice? Lets show a couple of examples.

Example 1
Going to the doctor. Lets assume one wants to make a doctor's appointment. The native is a Aries ( Mesha) ascendant. Seeing the doctor has everything to do with the body and this is indicated by the lagna and it's lord. The Mesha ascendant lord is Mars. Mars owns Tuesday, so a Tuesday appointment makes sense, Mars rules the day.

A Little Deeper
Same example as 1, yet one wants to see the eye doctor. Mars is lagna lord, and Tuesday still makes sense. Now what time for the appointment?
The hora of the sun, as the sun rules the eyes. So the hora's of the sun, on Tuesday = the 2nd, 9th, 15th and 22nd hora's. What times are theses? Remember that hora's begin at sunrise and start there. So lets assume the sun came up at 6 AM. the 2nd hour would be 7 AM, the 9th hora = 2 PM, the 15th hora 8 PM, and finally 3 AM .

What is the best hora I would take? 7 AM first, then the 2 PM due to the sun's brightness and relevence to light. Like that we can choose the day, and then choose body part in question , Head (Aries) Chest and heart ( Cancer), legs Aquarius and Capricorn ( Owned by sani and work as do the arms for lifting) feet (Pisces), etc. all have a graha owner - and can be found in any good jyotish book. And what of mental-emotional considerations? The head yes, and the emotions is that of the Moon, So Aries + Cancer would be my choice.

If one would want a deeper understanding, one could read Essentials of Medical Astrology, by Dr. KS Charak. He outlines the owners of all the internal organs in question.

Example 2
Starting a new Job
The natives lagna is Leo ( simha). The 10th house rules careers. The 10th house for a Leo = Taurus, owned by Venus ( Sukra). Venus owns Friday.
If possible try to start the job on Friday , on the hora of Venus ( On Friday Venus owns the first hora or 6 M).
NOW I can see you laughing, 'yajvan how many jobs do you know start on Friday' - a valid point! So, what to do? Choose a hora that is owned by Venus on Monday if that is the official start time for the new job. That would be 11 AM , if the sun comes up at 6 AM on monday.

A little deeper
So, lets say you are established in jyotish and buy into all this. Then you say , my job really is not me, really. It is a reflection of me, what society thinks I am. Then this would be a wise view and the native would pick the Arudha of the 10th house called the Karma pada, some call the Karmarudha or just the A10 in short.

One would look to see what house the A10 owns and choose the day and the hora of the A10. Say it is Pisces. Pisces is owned by Jupiter. Jupiter owns Thursday. The hora of Jupiter on Thursday's is the 1st, 8th, and the 20th hora. So the 1st or 8 hora ( 6AM or 1 PM start, assuming a 6 AM sunrise); Assume that is not practical and your boss is not a jyotish subscriber! Choose monday if that is Mandatory and the 3rd hora or the 9th hora ( I would take the 9th hora and will explain in a second).

My hypothesis on Job starting. Most jobs in the USA start on Monday morning. It just so happens the Rahu Kalam for Monday morning starts at 7:30 AM and finishes at 9 AM. A inauspicious time to start work I would say.
So in the example above for the Pisces A10 native looking to start work, his/her start time for the first day in the hora of Jupiter would fall in the time of Rahu Kalam.

It is my humble opinion that one's career or new job is at a distinct disadvantage when one begins a new endeavor during Rahu Kalam.

So, how does one know when this time starts ? Here is a site that will calculate it for you based upon the sun rise of the day: http://www.agasthiar.org/panchang/rahu/rahu.htm

Can you make it easier , so I can print it out and take it with me, so I can see a week or two weeks in advance?
sure... http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/panchangam/

What else can one do with this information? Use it to sign contracts, begin a new relationship or partnership ( the 7th house); the best time to perform Yajya ( I use hora, tithi, etc for this), etc.

Hope this snippet gives one a clue on the use of Jyotish knowledge.

pranams,

Arvind Sivaraman
20 July 2007, 02:44 AM
[quote=yajvan;13697]Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

A Little Deeper
Same example as 1, yet one wants to see the eye doctor. Mars is lagna lord, and Tuesday still makes sense. Now what time for the appointment?
The hora of the sun, as the sun rules the eyes. So the hora's of the sun, on Tuesday = the 2nd, 9th, 15th and 22nd hora's. What times are theses? Remember that hora's begin at sunrise and start there. So lets assume the sun came up at 6 AM. the 2nd hour would be 7 AM, the 9th hora = 2 PM, the 15th hora 8 PM, and finally 3 AM .

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Yajvan.
I am in need of a clarification.
I am taking a different example.
Suppose a Yellow Sapphire Gem Stone needs to worn on Thursay.
What time would you suggest?
The 12am,8am,3pm,10pm series or the Hora's of the sun on Thursday.
Please reply

yajvan
20 July 2007, 11:43 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Yajvan.
I am in need of a clarification.
I am taking a different example.
Suppose a Yellow Sapphire Gem Stone needs to worn on Thursay.
What time would you suggest?
The 12am,8am,3pm,10pm series or the Hora's of the sun on Thursday.
Please reply

Namaste Arvind,
lets see if I can assist in your understanding of this.

Thursday is best - I concur
Now for the time - this is hora ( which is time and space, not just the hour) - who says it is space too? Parashara. As 1/2 rasi is one hora or 15 degrees (space). Reference = BPHS 8.6 . Hence 2 hora in each rasi or space + time to complete 30 degrees ( 2 hora)
Hora on Thurdsay, the best one is at sunrise , the first hora.
Right at sunrise? - nope. let the sun come up full and blossom.
Same with each hora, let the hora become established before use.
Extra credit part of the conversation: If you can pick at tithi, on a Thursdsay that gives you a Siddha Yoga, you now have increased the auspiciousness for the first time one puts the ring on. So the 15th tithi, owned by Guru, on a Thursday is very asuspicious. This is during the bright half of the month. The next for a siddhi yoga, is still Thursay, we do not give up on the day and hora, but consider the 10th tithi, on Thursday, gives one a Siddhi yoga.
If it was the dark half of the month the best tithi is the 5th, Panchami, on Thursday, owned by Guru.
So Arvind, I do not see a 12 AM, 8Am, 3pm, or 10 PM series as you suggest - let me assist here a bit: On Thursday, the hora is as follows , starting with sunrise at your latituide:Hora number and Graha For Thursday sequence

Jupiter @ sun rise
Mars
Sun
Venus
Mercury
Moon
Saturn
Jupiter
Mars
Sun
Venus
Mercury
Moon
Saturn
Jupiter
Mars
Sun
Venus
Mercury
Moon
Saturn
Jupiter
Mars
SunAnother point that now needs to be considered: Let say Sunrise is at 6 AM and sun set is at 6 PM. There are 12 hours in this day time, and same for night. Then the above list is each hora = each hour, but that is not always true, yes?

Practical Example
Look at Mahatma Ghandhi's birth chart , just so we both have a reference point that we have used in the past.
The sunrise on his day of birth was 5:51:10 AM. Sunset was 17:45:40
So, 17:45:40 - 5:51:10 = 11:54.30 hours of daylight ( correct?)
Now we fit 12 hora's into this time - 11:54:30 hours divided by 12 = 59:33 min per each hora.
So, hora 1 starts at sunrise or 5:51:10 AM and runs for 59:33 min, then hora two begins...here is the listing of hora times for this day of Mahatma's birth day:

Start of Hora # and Time
1---- 5:51:10 AM
2 ----6:50:42 AM
3-----7:50:15 AM
4-----8:49:47 AM
5-----9:49:20 AM
6----10:48:52 AM
7----11:48:25 AM
8----12:47:57 PM
9-----1:47:30 PM
10---2:47:03 PM
11---3:46:35 PM
12---4:46:08 PM
13---5:45:40 PM
14---6:45:13 PM
15---7:44:45 PM
16---8:44:18 PM
17---9:43:50 PM
18--10:43:23 PM
19--11:42:55 PM
20--12:42:28 AM
21---1:42:00 AM
22---2:41:33 AM
23---3:41:05 AM
24---4:40:38 AM

Like that, one needs to consider the daylight hours... for rough numbers, one can assume 1 hr per hora, but this is not the case in winter months were some days are just 8 hours of daylight, then one needs to fit 12 hora's into the 8 hours daylight, correct?

This should assist you...

Stone Information. Here is a few ideas ( Again extra credit side of the conversation; you may have all this already)

The stone is pushparaga ( some call pukhraj) - a nice yellow sapphire is best.
Right hand, index finger is owned by Guru - yet many wear on the ring finger
Size is usually given in rattika . 1 rattika = 0.59 metric carats
For jupiter it's recommended not less the 3 rattikas in size and the best quality one can afford ( within ones budget)
A size of 5, 7, 8 , 10 , 12 or 14 rattikas is considered asupicious - so says Harish Johari ( who was a famous Jauhari) - the ones that know about Jawharat.
Guru's seed mantra is Brim. When one puts on the right hand, with the correct puja, the mantra of Om Brim Brahaspataye Namah ( a nine sylabble manta, stimulates the 9th house, where Guru is karaka) is recommended by Johari-ji
He also says 19,000 repetitions, japa, is suggested.I calculate about 15 to 18 repetitions per min so to do 19,000 ( if one is serious abourt this) it would take 21.1 hrs in a row to complete this request. A bit daunting. So I would divide the time up into 108 repetition 'bundles' . My numbers above suggest ( if one does the math) that 900 repetitions could be accomplished per hour , at 15 repetitions per min. So I would do 8 X 108 repetions per insallment... that is just under one hour , and will allow for a break. One would then need ~ 22 of these sessions to complete the 19,000 repetitions recommended.Hope this all helps, Om Guruvye Namah

Arvind Sivaraman
23 July 2007, 12:47 AM
[quote=yajvan;13745]Hari Om
~~~~~~

Namaste Arvind,
lets see if I can assist in your understanding of this.

Extra credit part of the conversation: If you can pick at tithi, on a Thursdsay that gives you a Siddha Yoga, you now have increased the auspiciousness for the first time one puts the ring on. So the 15th tithi, owned by Guru, on a Thursday is very asuspicious. This is during the bright half of the month. The next for a siddhi yoga, is still Thursay, we do not give up on the day and hora, but consider the 10th tithi, on Thursday, gives one a Siddhi yoga.
If it was the dark half of the month the best tithi is the 5th, Panchami, on Thursday, owned by Guru.Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Yajvan.
Your knowledge in Astrology seems to be good.
It was informative reading.
Please do let me know as to how to calculate the Tithi.

yajvan
24 July 2007, 09:02 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

[quote=yajvan;13745]
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Yajvan.
Your knowledge in Astrology seems to be good.
It was informative reading.
Please do let me know as to how to calculate the Tithi.
Namaste Arvind,

Siddha Yogas are based upon the day a tithi falls on.

There are 5 groupings of tithi's:
Nanda owned by Venus
Bhadra owned by Mercury
Jaya owned by Mars
Rikta owned by Sani
Poorna owned by Jupiter
Nanda Tithi's of 1, 6 and 11 falling on Friday = Siddha Yoga
Bhadra Titihi's of 2,7 and 12 falling on Wed = Siddha Yoga
Jaya Tithi's of 3,8, and 14 falling on Tues = Siddha Yoga
Rikta Tithi's of 4,9 and 14 falling on Sat = Siddha Yoga
Poorna Tithi's of 5,10,15 falling on Thurs = Siddha YogaThink about the info above:

Why the tithi's falling on a specific day improves that day? What are your thoughts?
The auspiciousness/ strength of the day is based upon sukla or paksha times of the month... what are your thoughts on applying the information above to the bright half or dark half time of the month - how do you think the rules apply. Take a stab at this and post your ideas... Do not be concerned of being right or wrong. Lets try and develop the intuition for this.
Next , and perhaps later in our thinking Nakshatra's too infleunce this auspiciousness - yet a further subject. FOr this a good book on Muhurta would be wise to get. Choose on that outlines tithi's, yogas, timing of events, Sarvartha Siddhi Yogas you will find great interest.
Example: Ravi yoga which destroys any in-auspiciousness. That is look to see where the sun resides, by Nakshatra. Now look to see where chandra resides. Count the nakshatras ( include the nakshatras of both luminaries), if the number is 4,6,9,10,13, or 20 between them, then Ravi yoga exists.
EXAMPLE 1:
Sun is in Ashwini and Moon is in Rohini ( always like to use Rohini!) -
How many Nakshatra's are they apart? Four. Hence Ravi yoga exists at that time, space.
Example 2:
As I type on Tues AM 6 AM (PST), Sun is in Pushyami and Moon is in Vishaka. I type during a Ravi yoga and this should bare good fruit for your reading... take a look and see if you calculate the same Ravi Yoga ( I type in the hora of the sun)Hope this assist you in your understanding.

pranams,