View Full Version : Guru Purnima and Nakshatra's

yajvan
25 July 2007, 12:59 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Gurur Brahma gurur Vishnu gurur devo Maheswarah
Gurur sakshat parambrahmah tasmi sri gurave namah

Namaste,
This coming Sunday , the 29th of July, there will be a Full moon (purnima). This Full moon in this masa (month) is celebrated as Guru Purnima. It is a day of Brahman, fullness as represented by the full moon. It is the day of Guru and the Guru is established in Bhuma, Brahman. I am in hopes all on HDF are well wishers to their guru's (dispellers of darkness).

Does anyone have any thoughts on why it is the Full moon in this month, when Surya is in Cancer ( a Moksha house) and Chandra in a Artha rasi of Capricorn ? Please share you ideas, all are welcomed.

I have some thoughts on this that are my observations on this matter. I see some principles that are distinct, on why a Guru purnima is most auspicious for recognizing guru-ji. Let me share my views on this, please feel free to comment and give your thoughts too.

The answer, for me, is in the rasi + Nakshara + Chandra's position of where our whole solar system is heading.
The Sun ( the Atmakarka of all of us ) is in his friend and minister's house, Chandra the moon. Cancer is the first moksha house we encounter in the Bha chakra (zodiac) as we come from Aries, Taurus and Gemini. Also note that Nakshatra's also have the 4 purushaartha qualities of Dharma, Artha, Kama and Moksha

In Cancer we have the Nakshara's of
7th Nakshatra - Punarvasu - A Artha Nakshatra - onwed by Guru ( Jupiter)
8th Nakshatra - Pushya - A Dharma Nakshatra - Onwed by Sani (Saturn)
9th Nakshatra - Ashlesha A Dharma Nakshatra - Owned by Budhdha (Mercury)
In Capricorn we have
21st Nakshatra - Uttarashadha A Moksha Nakshata owned by Surya ( sun)
22nd Nakshatra - Shravana A Artha Nakshatra owned by Chandra (moon)
23rd Nakshatra - Dhanistha Adharma Nakshatra owned by Mangala (Mars)How the luninaries line up - Surya, the Atmakarka in the house of Chandra, In a dharma nakshatra (when purnima is at it's fullest) will be in the Nakshatra owned by Sani ( that of a Mokshakaraka, discipline, one pointedness, tapas). A perfect refection of guru.

Like that, Chandra will reside in the rasi of Sani ( Capricorn) with graha dristi ( aspect) to Cancer, her own sign (some times Chandra is seen as male or female). Chandra starts in the Moksha Nakshatra of Uttarashadha, owned by the Atmakaraka, Sun and reflects the fullness of the Atman, of SELF, of Siva and Ram; as a graha that of Surya.

A perfect time for Fullness, for Brahman , Purnima, this is the greatness of the Guru. This reflects the qualities of what the guru has to offer the sisya. But the key revealing reason for this alignment and why this reflects the quality of the guru, is that of Uttarashadha and Abhijit nakshatras.

What is it's significance here? Uttarashadha is of great import. The owners of this Nakshatra and space is the Vishadevas. Its primary attribute is sattvic, and secondary is that of Moksha . It is the place in akasha, in space, that our whole solar system is moving to. Like that, we as human beings are moving from the individual to the universal. So is the impulses of the Visvadeva's, who bring Universal qualities to the mind of beings. What is the quality the guru brings to the sisya? The movement from small self to SELF, from individual to Universal.

Abhijit Nakshatra reflects the purpose of the unfoldment in the human being - to go from the individual to the Universal. That is the universal desire of the Guru for the sisya, and for the world.

A finer point and most may miss this… Guru (Jupiter) is neecha ( humble ) in Capricorn. To the uninitiated this is seen as weak and debilitated. To the guru , the sadaka, this neeca brings humbleness to learn , and leave one's ego at the door.

[ more on Abhijit can be found on HDF post http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1749 ]

Jai Guru Deva