PDA

View Full Version : Leather

Yaruki
26 July 2007, 10:28 AM
I know cows are sacred which means leather is a no no.
All these years ive had the same wallet that my uncle gave me is made of leather. Should I discard it and buy a non leather wallet?

And my Acura is all leather interror, I didnt buy it, my mom did and later gave it to me. What should I do about that?

Agnideva
26 July 2007, 01:42 PM
Namaste Yaruki,

I know cows are sacred which means leather is a no no.
All these years ive had the same wallet that my uncle gave me is made of leather. Should I discard it and buy a non leather wallet?
And my Acura is all leather interror, I didnt buy it, my mom did and later gave it to me. What should I do about that?
You don't have to throw anything out, imho. If you find that you feel owning leather is wrong, just don't buy anything leather from now on. I also have a leather wallet, leather belt and leather shoes, but all were given to me. I use them on occasion, but I choose not to buy anything leather myself. When you buy your own car next time, you can choose all fabric interior.

OM Shanti,
A.

yajvan
26 July 2007, 05:26 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste Yaruki,

You don't have to throw anything out, imho. If you find that you feel owning leather is wrong, just don't buy anything leather from now on. I also have a leather wallet, leather belt and leather shoes, but all were given to me. I use them on occasion, but I choose not to buy anything leather myself. When you buy your own car next time, you can choose all fabric interior. OM Shanti, A.

Namaste A and Yaruki (et .al)

This is a pickle... I found over time that my choices are away from these things. We cannot not reprimand any one ( I am not suggesting such in this post or that is being done) for having these things.

But here is the real pickle - my cars do not have leather, nor my shoes, no belt, my house, etc etc. I make a choice to not have these things. Yet the people that assemble my shoes, my pants, build my house, etc. The people that pick my vegetables, my rice and grain...what of them? are we not all connected? There is an influence from them to us. This is real and we share in their actions.

In my opinion and practice, the best we can do is make the best decision to harm the least. It seems more are thinking like this as I look around. There are some that do not, and that is that. This notion on Global Warming is saying we are taking too much and not giving back. More are thinking like this, it just makes sense.

I will be dead when all this stuff hits the fan, yet I will be back too! Why would one not want to make this earth the most friendly and ecologically stable as one can? We have children we want to pass this earth off to. That is where my patience grows thin... When there is consumption and trash and we just think that it will be another's problem to take care of.
This is small small thinking... but I digress.

pranams,

Nuno Matos
26 July 2007, 05:44 PM
Namaste

I don't see any problem if the animal dies of natural death. Isn't it habitual in rural India to use the leather of natural dead cows for the propose of making drums?

Znanna
26 July 2007, 08:15 PM
No disrespect intended, but I love leather :)

Black leather and pearls is my normal business attire.

Love,
ZN
/works

saidevo
26 July 2007, 08:39 PM
Namaste everyone.

Use of leather from dead (rather than killed) animals, I think, has been in practice in ancient India. It formed part of musical instruments such as drums etc., and music plays a vital part in spiritual development. Brahmacharies still wear a bit of the deer leather tied to their holy thread at the time of upanayanam. Our rishis used seats of tiger skins to sit and meditate on. Even pontiffs of orthodox lineage such as the Sankara MaTham use tiger skins to sit on. And Lord Shiva wears the skin of an elephant over his hip.

That said, leather does have its own gross vibrations and hence may not be used as a garment or in the car upholstery. CW Leadbeater, I think, suggests that free-flowing (rather than tight-fitting) robes, specially of silk is better for seekers and that silk generates bioelectric currents that are beneficial and also wards off the chillness of a cold weather.

IMHO, plastic is more harmful than leather; its use should be at the barest minimum level.

Agnideva
26 July 2007, 09:52 PM
Namaste Saidevo,

Some good points. All the traditional drums of India have membranes made of some sort of leather. I think usually it is made of goat skin. As we all know the same drums are used in temple ceremonials also! Not to mention other animal products in temples such as yak-hair fans (chamars), peacock feather fans, etc. all come from animals.

OM Shanti,
A.

Agnideva
26 July 2007, 10:07 PM
Namaste Nuno,

Isn't it habitual in rural India to use the leather of natural dead cows for the propose of making drums?
Yes, this is true. There are entire communities of leather workers in India, who turn the skin of dead cows into shoes and drums, etc. When a cow dies, the leather workers are invited to take the carcass for the skin. A very famous saint from North India called Ravidas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raidas) came from such a community.

OM Shanti,
A.

Yaruki
27 July 2007, 03:06 AM
The problem is that I do not know if my items were from cows that died or were killed.

yajvan
27 July 2007, 09:16 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

The problem is that I do not know if my items were from cows that died or were killed.

That again is the pickle...
We will always have examples and exceptions yes? The shankaracharya sitting on the lions skin, the yogi sitting on the dear skin , etc.

And you have seen above others responses to your question. What is your goal Yaruki? less harm? more fashion? more sattva, less influnence from items that are dead?

What do you wish to accomplish?

pranams,

Yaruki
27 July 2007, 07:09 PM
Better karma, ive done a lot of bad things and I dont want to add to it unknowningly.

Agnideva
29 July 2007, 02:59 PM
Namaste Yaruki,

Better karma, ive done a lot of bad things and I dont want to add to it unknowningly.
If you feel you've done a lot of bad things in the past, why not start doing some good things? Karma is, after all, about balance.

OM Shanti,
A.

Yaruki
29 July 2007, 03:23 PM
I have been trying, ive done a lot of good things in the past 2 years.

Jigar
06 August 2007, 08:55 PM
namaste yaruki,
like the many before you has this problem arised. hence
the invention of a new imitation leather paper called leatherite:

Speciality paper (Leatherite)
Leatherite handmade paper has been produced as a decorative paper to give a natural alternative to real leather. By giving handmade paper textures, the looks that resemble real leather and signify equal class, the leather paper qualitatively and functionally match all your demands. A means to promote eco-friendliness, the leatherite paper will give the people a reason to shift to all things natural. A host of decorative paper products can be made from handmade leather paper, all you need to have is the will to use it instead of real leather.

My preference would be that as an inferior product which can be picked up at any street vender in india as Rawhide is superior.

om sai Aum,
Jigar

Dharmaboy_Vishal
29 December 2008, 03:38 PM
Namaste

I'd like to point out, that karma comes from intention. Bad intention reaps consequences--while good intention reaps benefits, no intention frees you from karmic influences. Therefore, if you don't know whether the animal was killed or just passed on; you won't inadvertently incur negative karma.

I'm also an individual who uses leather, although i don't go out and buy it myself.

Om Shanti,
~Vishal~