View Full Version : Rudraprayag

satay
26 July 2007, 03:17 PM
http://www.gmvnl.com/newgmvn/districts/rudraprayag/

anyone been here...

Ganeshprasad
26 July 2007, 04:20 PM
Pranam Satay

i have been fortunate enough to pass this place twice on my way to Badri/ kedarnath

i can't wait to go back but not until i go to Kailash Mansarover.

Jai Shree Krishna

sm78
26 July 2007, 11:57 PM
http://www.gmvnl.com/newgmvn/districts/rudraprayag/

anyone been here...

Many a times..it's the gateway to the panch kedar and badrinath. In rudraprayag itself Koteswar mahadev and chamunda devi temples are well know power spots.

sarabhanga
27 July 2007, 06:11 AM
Namaste Satay,

I have spent some time at Rudraprayag and passed through on many occasions. The town center is a chaotic bus-park, and development has been rapid over recent years. But nearby are some very special sites, such as Koteshvar Mahadev and its ancient cave temple, where even the mighty Alaknanda pauses, in an endless whirlpool at the foot of the cave. And of course there is the sangam of Alaknanda (from Badrinath) and Mandakini (from Kedarnath).

"Those who bathe at the confluence of the light and dark streams go to heaven;
and those of firm mind who give up their bodies here gain immortality."

satay
27 July 2007, 09:38 AM
namaskar all,
The reason why I asked is because there is a very slight chance that I might be visiting Bharata in Oct this year for a short period. I would like to visit some nice dharmic places. For now, my list contains the following:
- Mata Chintpurni
- Vaishno Devi
- Haridawar
- Varanasi kashi i.e. shivDham

I want to go to rudraprayag but not familiar with the area; still have not researched yet...

So since you guys have been there, any suggestions on what to see, visit would be of great help.

What would be the best way route to visit all these, places to stay, transport etc.?

I will be traveling like a 'single' person i.e. no attachments or minimal attachments.

Ganeshprasad
27 July 2007, 03:52 PM
Pranam satay

Rudraprayag is about 142kms from Rishikesh, i normaly travel from Delhi to to Haridwar by taxi is about 5/6 hour journey. of course you can take train to Dehradun from Delhi or even Punjab if you are going there, i guess Rudraprayag would be about 100kms from Dehradun.
if you took a taxi or a bus either from haridwar or Rishikesh you would pass many holy places on the way like Devprayag.

my stay In Rudraprayag was in a very nice resort called Monal, they orgnise many tours from there, like valley of flowers a very beutiful place to visit so i have been told.but only accessable during summer months.
if you like i provide their address.

Jai Shree Krishna

sarabhanga
12 November 2007, 12:42 AM
Namaste Satay,

There are some very good trains from Delhi to Haridwar, and then from Haridwar, or nearby Rishikesh, there are buses, and shared jeeps, and taxis, going to Rudraprayag. It is about 100 Rp from Rishikesh to Rudraprayag on a local bus, but (given the precarious condition of some mountain roads) you might prefer a hired car or taxi. :D

Monal Resort, mentioned by Ganeshprasad, is just up the Alaknanda from Rudraprayag. Out the back is a small Matsyendranath temple, and following the path downstream and across a high bridge you will soon reach Koteshvar Mahadev.

sm78
12 November 2007, 11:09 PM
It is about 100 Rp from Rishikesh to Rudraprayag on a local bus, but (given the precarious condition of some mountain roads) you might prefer a hired car or taxi. :D

I always felt they were more safe than the shared jeeps :). Anyway, catching a bus is more difficult from rishikesh, as they leave quite early (~5:30AM)

All these are for single "almost-hitch hikers". A peace loving family man with enough cash to spare generally book a private taxi from haridwar or rishikesh.

GMVN guest houses are good bet to stay throughout the region .....

Btw, this is not the right time to head that way .... :D

sm78
12 November 2007, 11:23 PM
Namaste Sarabhanga,

On a different but related topic, though this might be too early to ask (planning to be there pre-monsoon next year).

Have you been to Rudranath ? Is the place doable in a single day (one-way i mean :) ) ?? If not r there places to stay for night ??

Of course answers might depend on from which side one is approaching the place.

Internet has hardly much reliable information on these places.

sarabhanga
25 November 2007, 10:00 PM
Namaste Singhi,

Rudranath (about 3,500m) rests on the east of a saddle on the narrow red earth ridge of Golung (4,861m). I have not yet been to Rudranath, but I am very keen to go! :)

The traditional Panch Kedar yatra approaches (coming from Tunganath) via Mandal (about 1,500m), ascending the Amrit Nadi, and passing Anasuya Mata and Atri Dhara; and (from Kalpeshwar) via Dumukh (at about 2,300m) and the wild Kalapani Gad. But a common trekking route begins from Sagar (near Gopeshwar).

There is a small village at the ashram of Anasuya Devi (half a days walk from Mandal), but beyond that there are only shepherd’s huts. And Rudranath can easily be reached in a day from Anasuya. And coming from the other side, there is no village beyond Dumukh (or Dumak) ~ but there is good camping (and caves) at Punar (or Panar). If you are equipped for camping out there is no problem, but if not there are just a few small huts (and caves) near the mandir.

The path across the tops (up to 3,800m) is obvious (in good weather), but on the ascent (through dense jungle) I have heard that the correct trail can easily be lost ~ so an experienced guide is recommended.

satay
17 February 2009, 01:16 PM
Namaskar,

How's the weather in March to visit Rudraprayag?

Any help would be much appreciated.