PDA

View Full Version : What are Gana, Varna and the rest?

suresh
31 July 2007, 12:43 AM
Dear Scholars,

I am a newbie as far as VA (and this forum!) is concerned. But I do have a doubt on varna, gana and the rest mentioned in a person's horoscope. What do they actually signify-a person's nature, caste etc.? Is it only used to check marriage compatibility?

Some insight on this would be helpful. Suppose a person belongs to rakshas gana, does that mean he's born with demonic qualities? http://www.mysticboard.com/vedic_astrology/images/smiles/013.gif I am not sure I understand. Is there any (astro) significance at all to these factors, if so, how do they influence a person's future?

Suresh

yajvan
31 July 2007, 10:23 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Dear Scholars,

I am a newbie as far as VA (and this forum!) is concerned. But I do have a doubt on varna, gana and the rest mentioned in a person's horoscope. What do they actually signify-a person's nature, caste etc.? Is it only used to check marriage compatibility?

Some insight on this would be helpful. Suppose a person belongs to rakshas gana, does that mean he's born with demonic qualities? http://www.mysticboard.com/vedic_astrology/images/smiles/013.gif I am not sure I understand. Is there any (astro) significance at all to these factors, if so, how do they influence a person's future? Suresh

Namaste Suresh,
a valid question that takes substantial time to explain... if you would be so kind as to first read Nakshatra's post 1, 2 and 3, this will create the foundation; and Jyotish the eyes of the ved post, then 1,2 3 there also.
this creates the spring board for conversations. You will see these as some of the first posts, in this Jyotish folder.

pranams,

Arvind Sivaraman
31 July 2007, 11:15 PM
Dear Scholars,

Some insight on this would be helpful. Suppose a person belongs to rakshas gana, does that mean he's born with demonic qualities? http://www.mysticboard.com/vedic_astrology/images/smiles/013.gif I am not sure I understand. Is there any (astro) significance at all to these factors, if so, how do they influence a person's future?

Suresh

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Suresh.

VARNA.
Pisces,Scorpio and Cancer - Brahmin
Aries,Leo and Sagittarius - Kshatriya
Taurus,Virgo and Capricorn - Vaisya
Gemini,Aquarius and Libra - Sudra

A girl belonging to a higher varna than that of the boy is not approved.
Both belonging to the same varna or the girl belonging to one lower than that of the boy is approved.

GANA

Daiva - (Peace Loving,Contended,Quiet and Forbearing)
Aswini,Mrigasira,Punarvasu,Pushya,Hasta,Swati,Anuradha,Sravana and Revati
Manushya - (Friendly and Fair but under force of circumstances may be provoked to take angry stance)
Bharani,Rohini,Aridra,Poorvaphalguni,Uttarabhadrapada,Poorvabhadrapada,
Poorvashada,Uttaraphalguni and Uttarashada.
Rakshasa - (Cruel,Dominating,Nagging,Have a tendency to inflict pain - mental,physical,emotional and also demanding,avaricious,greedy etc.)
Krittika,Aslesha,Makha,Chitta,Visaka,Jyeshta,Moola,Dhanishta and Satabisha.

Those belonging to the same category get along well.
A Daivika constellation and Manushya constellation star are passable.
But a Daivika or a Manushya star paired with a Rakshasa star leads only to misery.

Pl Note : Pl refer the book "The Art of Matching Charts" by Gayatri Devi Vasudev.

yajvan
01 August 2007, 08:36 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Suresh.

VARNA.
Pisces,Scorpio and Cancer - Brahmin
Aries,Leo and Sagittarius - Kshatriya
Taurus,Virgo and Capricorn - Vaisya
Gemini,Aquarius and Libra - Sudra

GANA

Daiva - (Peace Loving,Contended,Quiet and Forbearing)
Aswini,Mrigasira,Punarvasu,Pushya,Hasta,Swati,Anuradha,Sravana and Revati
Manushya - (Friendly and Fair but under force of circumstances may be provoked to take angry stance)
Bharani,Rohini,Aridra,Poorvaphalguni,Uttarabhadrapada,Poorvabhadrapada,
Poorvashada,Uttaraphalguni and Uttarashada.
Rakshasa - (Cruel,Dominating,Nagging,Have a tendency to inflict pain - mental,physical,emotional and also demanding,avaricious,greedy etc.)
Krittika,Aslesha,Makha,Chitta,Visaka,Jyeshta,Moola,Dhanishta and Satabisha.

Those belonging to the same category get along well.
A Daivika constellation and Manushya constellation star are passable.
But a Daivika or a Manushya star paired with a Rakshasa star leads only to misery. Pl Note : Pl refer the book "The Art of Matching Charts" by Gayatri Devi Vasudev.

Namaste Arvind, (Suresh) et.al
You have outlined or identified some of the rasi's and nakshatra's, this is good. Now how to explain their use? You mention "Those belonging to the same category get along well." - what is this 'belonging' ? by rasi or graha? And the timing? How would they get along well if they turn out to be dusthana? And if they all turn out to be 'well' yet the native does not experience this why so? Is it the upagraha's that were left out in ones reasoning, or perhaps the other varga charts where the D30 and D60 clearly indicate obstacles and mis-fortunes that roll over from a previous life?

How do the refererences and influences get activiated? Is it where the grahas live, transit, or aspect? How does one make sense out of this... This I believe is the question at hand. How to help the reader to de-cipher this is the role of the jyotisha.

I mention this as Suresh's question is like that if Nachiketas from the Kathopanishad - very profund and in depth, yet innocent on the surface. Suresh asks a meaningful question "What time is it" and like Yama of the same Upanishad, Yama has to explain 'how the watch is made' to answer the question with any value.

I hope you can take the discussion further....

pranams,

Arvind Sivaraman
02 August 2007, 12:15 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste Arvind, (Suresh) et.al
You have outlined or identified some of the rasi's and nakshatra's, this is good. Now how to explain their use? You mention "Those belonging to the same category get along well." - what is this 'belonging' ? by rasi or graha? And the timing? How would they get along well if they turn out to be dusthana? And if they all turn out to be 'well' yet the native does not experience this why so? Is it the upagraha's that were left out in ones reasoning, or perhaps the other varga charts where the D30 and D60 clearly indicate obstacles and mis-fortunes that roll over from a previous life?

How do the refererences and influences get activiated? Is it where the grahas live, transit, or aspect? How does one make sense out of this... This I believe is the question at hand. How to help the reader to de-cipher this is the role of the jyotisha.

I mention this as Suresh's question is like that if Nachiketas from the Kathopanishad - very profund and in depth, yet innocent on the surface. Suresh asks a meaningful question "What time is it" and like Yama of the same Upanishad, Yama has to explain 'how the watch is made' to answer the question with any value.

I hope you can take the discussion further....

pranams,

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Suresh.
1)If a Male and Female belongs to Daiva Nakshatra then they belong to the same category.That means they will get along well.Similary for Manushya Nakshatra and Rakshasa Nakshatra.
Eg : If a Male belongs to the Aswini Nakashtara and the Female belongs to the Mrigasira Nakshatra then they both belong to the Daiva Gana.
2)So it is not Rasi Based or Graha based. It is Nakshatra based.
3)Thus you may infer that that all the Nakshatra are divided into 3 groups based on their nature or disposition being Divine(Daivika),Human(Manushya) and Demonic(Rakshasa).

suresh
02 August 2007, 02:50 AM
Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Suresh.
1)If a Male and Female belongs to Daiva Nakshatra then they belong to the same category.That means they will get along well.Similary for Manushya Nakshatra and Rakshasa Nakshatra.
Eg : If a Male belongs to the Aswini Nakashtara and the Female belongs to the Mrigasira Nakshatra then they both belong to the Daiva Gana.
2)So it is not Rasi Based or Graha based. It is Nakshatra based.
3)Thus you may infer that that all the Nakshatra are divided into 3 groups based on their nature or disposition being Divine(Daivika),Human(Manushya) and Demonic(Rakshasa).

Namaskara Arvind,

I am well aware of how they match gana whilst deciding about marriage. I just wanted to know whether this classification has got something to do with the native's intrinsic nature, and not merely about the nakshatra's.

yajvan
02 August 2007, 08:40 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaskara Arvind,

I am well aware of how they match gana whilst deciding about marriage. I just wanted to know whether this classification has got something to do with the native's intrinsic nature, and not merely about the nakshatra's.

Namaste Suresh and Arvind,
Let me offer some guidence if I may...and I will leave it to Arvind to offer his assessment.
Look to the tripod of life for intrinsic nature in the Nakshatra

Where is the Sun, Moon and Lagna? [tripod]; then -
Where is the Atmakaraka? What yogas are formed from these? What is the Atma saying for this incarnation of suresh? What is to be learned? This informs suresh of some of the blemishes that need consideration (we all have them, all of us )
How do these graha's line up in Dharmamsa ( the D9 or 1/9th) divisional chart.
And were is Paka Lagna? The Lagna lord's placement?Starting here will inform and begin to uncover the core nature... why so? we are in essence made from the Sun-Moon-Lagna - this is the raw materials of suresh and all beings on this earth.

dhanyavaad,