PDA

View Full Version : Krsna's Name

yajvan
01 August 2007, 08:15 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Namaste and Hare Krsna,

I was wondering for those that had followed ISKCON for a bit, what types of discussion or instructions was given on Krsna's name? and that of Rada? How was she viewed?

Many see the name Krsna as the dark one, as in dark blue, some say that of a thunder cloud. Some look to His name and see Krs = dark colored , or Krs for truth + Na for bliss.

Others see Krsna from Akarshana - or the power to attract; very desirable. We also know Krsna's bija mantra a Klim ( Kleem phonetically); used to fulfill the ultimate desire of Moksha.

If some one could comment - how far does ISKCON go into this ? and what is their orientation on Rada?

Jaya Jaya Sri Jagannatha

pranams,

atanu
02 August 2007, 09:32 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Namaste and Hare Krsna,

---------

Jaya Jaya Sri Jagannatha

pranams,

Jaya Jaya Sri Jagannatha

Two years back, Shri Jagannatha took me to Puri. I saw the magic. I felt the magic. I was overwhelmed.

At that time I was having a lot of arguments with ISKONITES wrt supremacy, and being a Shiva bhakta, the fights used to be terrible. Shri Ganeshprasad ji was the sole sane person at that time.

Then Jagannatha took me to Puri. A panda forced down my head at the feet of Lord and said "He is the Supreme. He is the Supreme. He is the Supreme." I repeated "Lord, you are the Supreme". Then Jagannatha illuminated the meaning of paratpara param parastad to me.

There were many magical situations. The day we left our place for Puri, there was a warning by Orissa Chief Minister, of impending extreme bad weather and danger of cyclonic storm and advising tourists/state people to avoid visits to the shore areas. But everything cleared away as we were nearing Puri and we were met with the nicest weather that I can remember forever.

In Puri, I stood in a queue to enquire about a train's departure time. It was a very long line and when I reached the window, I forgot the name of the train. I was fumbling and terribly upset that I would be forced out of the line, when some one shouted "Konarku, Konarku".

Guides told us many endearing stories. I do not remember the names. We were told that some divinity had complained of contaminated/unhygienic food being served to devotees. Since, nothing can contaminate food once touched by Lord, the particular divinity was hung upside down by Lord in the temple premises, as an example of the result of error in thought. Then the guide showed us a place where Lord Krishna went to recuperate when He developed fever after a very prolonged play with Gopis in water. Again I do not remember the name of the place. I am sure some one in this forum can remind me.

There was another stupendous magic, which I cannot write in an open forum, but that convinced me of the joy (and mischief) of Jagannatha. Everyone of my family came back dreamy eyed and with heart full of joy (with a big packet of sweets as prasad).

So, if I were to find the meaning of the name Krsna, I would say "JOY". By the way that is my mother's name as well.

Jaya Jaya Sri Jagannatha

saidevo
02 August 2007, 10:28 AM
Namaste Atanu and others.

You have aptly put it: The name Krsna is joy.

Kanchi Paramacharya in a casual talk with his devotees told these details about the Puri Jagannatha temple rituals. I have posted a translation of his discourse from the madhurASTakam here in HDF:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=847

Sri Maha PeriyavaaL started talking about the nitya nivedanam (daily offerings) to Puri Jagannatha and the Rathotsava that is held in Puri.

"They would do nivedanam to Puri Jagannatha daily with large quantities of annam (cooked rice). They would distribute only that prasAdam to the people in the kSetra (holy place) and the yAtrIkas (travellers). anna dAnam is a speciality there. Jagannatha's prasAdam is very shreSTa (lofty) to have.

"If by chance anyone does not get Jagannatha's prasAdam, he should even try and take the sAdam (cooked rice) sticking to a dog's mouth that ate from the left over banana leaves thrown on the street. Such loftiness for Jagannatha's prasAdam.

"Jagannatha, Balabadra, Subhadra -- for these three people therw will be processions in separate rathams (chariots).

"Next year they would tear down those chariots and use the wood as fuel for their madappaLLi (temple kitchen). Every year they would make new chariots, that is the custom there. Jagannathan should be offered that much prasAdam daily as nivedanam. They would give it in plenty to sarvatrAL (everyone)." Sri PeriyavaaL spoke blessing us with his glance.

Ganeshprasad
02 August 2007, 10:45 AM
Pranam Atanu ji and all

Joy what a wonderful expression of Krishna, his face as Lord Jaganath is truely joyous.
i was also fortunate enough to visit Puri last year, an experience i will never forget, got to pull the cart, hug the deities as well and the parsad was just wonderful.

Lord Jaganath with his brother Baladev and Sister Subhadra after Sananyatra reside in Gundicha recuperating for a fortnight i think.

Jai Jaganath jai Baladev Jai Subhadhra

Jai Shyamsundra.

Ganeshprasad
02 August 2007, 12:07 PM
Pranam all

I forgot to mention,
While I was there last time, I had some wonderful experience, one of the one that touch my heart was, this little boy no more then 9 or 10, selling miniature replica of the murtis, I did not want to buy but I felt I needed to reward this young lad for his effort, he point blank refused to take my money and said Prabhu ji it is lord Jaganath that provides he was simply following his duty.
An iskonite devotee who over heard this conversation, offered to take the young lad to Mumbai (jokingly ),
where he suggested he would make a good living, I was really impressed by the reply the young lad gave, he said Prabhu ji in this age of kali there no place like Pursotam setra and no one more merciful (Dayalu) than Jaganath.

Jai Jaganath.