PDA

View Full Version : Compelled to kriya-yoga

yajvan
02 August 2007, 05:47 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Have you wondered why some on this earth have spiritual pursuits? For some it is just core to their Being , for others its not even considered. Patanjali-muni calls out kriya yoga in his Yogasutra's as tapas (see below), svadhyaya (mantra japa and study ), and Ishvara-pranidha (surrender).

What brings us to these desires for Moksha, kevlaya, sanyas, and tapas?
From A Jyotish point of view there are some classic yoga's and combinations in ones chart that stimulate this desire to manifest in ones life. Let me outline a few and you can look in your chart to see if this is a condition. This is one reason I chose to study Jyotish, as this desire has been constantly with me [and I have acted on] for as long as I can recall and I wanted to find out why. Some of the indications are below… perhaps they too are in your kundali chakra ( birth chart). Let's look at just a few conditions. If there is interest, we can add to the conversation.

Pravaraja Yoga (PRY) - a union of graha's that allows/compels one to turn (vrt) within or forth (pra)

This occurs when one has 4 or more grahas in one house - the more benefic the stronger the influence. It's said if this occurs in a Kendra ( 1,4,7 or 10th ) AND one of the graha's owns the 12th house ( a moksha house) This yoga occurs. It is important that the 4th house is part of this connection, as it represents home, and in the body , home is the heart-emotion. That is this desire for spiritual development.

Let's say the 4th is not involved - this suggests the person is just getting on this path in this life and the renunciation this person may take will the introductory 'lite' version. Still good, yet is not so energized to seek this with a high degree of alacrity.

Let's say too that the sun is involved in this yoga , which it usually is, but not always. If there is a combust condition that is, some of the planets are very close to the sun, then this renunciation, if one chooses to do so would not be 'official' or formal.

In some charts, I see 4 grahas yet one of the nodes ( Rahu or Ketu) are there. The 'rule' says no nodes should be involved. Yet with Ketu as Mokshakaraka, the wise Jyotisha takes a second look. And Kendra houses are recommended, but if Trines are the recipients of the grahas, especially the 9th house, it has dristi (sight) to the 4th house, and stimulates the emotion for spiritual development... Now what if this house has both the 8th, the 12th and the mokshakaraka graha's present? The indication and influence becomes quite strong as all the moksha grahas are in one place, unified in their efforts and influence.

Another simple indication is that of beneficial graha's in the 3rd and 6th house (bhava) from the Arudha Lagna. There is a post on how to calculate this Aruda if one is interested: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1633 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1633)

The stronger the condition, ( exalted, moolatrikona, or owning the sign) the greater the influence of this PRY on them.

Tapaswi Yoga - a union of graha's that bring tapas ( fire or cleansing) to the native this is a yoga with Sani (Saturn) , Sukra (Venus) and Ketu are involved. Sukracharaya is also known as Daitya Guru and is part of Tapaswi Raja Yoga .

One does not quickly see Venus as a tapas centered graha. He earned this via hanging upside down from a tree for 20 years. This twenty years is the length of Venus' dasa period in the Vimshottari (120 year) dasa system.

Sukra's tapas:
While hanging, smoke was blowing on him ( homam) from the fire (agni) below him. Tapas is a heating up, burning off impurities in the sadhu.
This tapas ability comes from several conditions coming together ( as it must have for Sukracharya):

Sani or Saturn's ability for one pointedness and fixity to 'stay the course'
Ketu and moksha, and the yajya homam below Sukra ;
Sukra and his inherent ability of desire for Moksha. Where can one see this in a chart ? Sani aspecting Sukra and Ketu in ones Navamsa or 1/9th divisional chart. The rule is for this to occur the graha's must be in the lagna position or the karakamsa position in the Navamsa chart. (Lagna = ascendant and karakamsa = the sign housing the Atmakaraka) . This position is called Swamsha that is karakamsa + Navamsa Lagna = Swamsha. I mention this as this is used often by Jaimini-muni and we will use again on other posts.

There are many more that are given from Saravali, Jataka Paraijata, Jaimini, and Jatak Bharnam and of course Parashara muni to name a few.

We can take a look at several muni's and see how this applies (Yogananda, Sri Jayendra Saraswati, Srila Prahhupada, etc).

Now when does this spiritual welling up take place? When would one renounce or become sanyas? This is seen from the Drig Dasa System. This is just a brilliant dasa system that one uses to align with other systems. Many in Jyotish use Vimshottari as the standard dasa practice, some use Yogini and Kalachakara dasa systems…

This dasa application ability separates the excellent Joytish from the pack. Knowing when and how to use these systems brings out the potential and possibility in timing the blessings and benefits ( and perhaps the challenges) in ones life. There are many many dasa systems offered by Parashara but only few have mastered these tools…. I am not one; as a sisya I look to the brighter Jyotisha & the tradition for any light I bring to you on this matter.

More if there is interest.

pranams and dhanyavaad

leo257
10 May 2011, 02:18 PM
Namaste...

I do have a very big doubt on Tapasvi Yoga.

Do I need to post a separate thread or can I continue with the details in this thread.

Awaiting for your reply.

Thanks

Leo

yajvan
10 May 2011, 08:35 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Namaste...

I do have a very big doubt on Tapasvi Yoga.

Do I need to post a separate thread or can I continue with the details in this thread.waiting for your reply.

Please advise on your doubts.

praṇām

yajvan
11 May 2011, 11:25 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

tapasvi occurs when there is a strong relationship between saturn , ketu and venus. An example would be saturn and ketu in one sign (rāśi) with sight or aspect ( dṛṣṭi ) to venus in another sign.

Another example of ~strong~
If they are in conjunction, or in mutual trines, or have strong rāśi drishti (dṛṣṭi) . We then can consider it strong.

tapas - warmth, heat; religious austerity , bodily mortification , penance , in depth meditation , special observance
tapa = ' consuming by heat', hence the inference is purification
vi = order, distinction ( most likely from dvi or 2).This yoga can be formed in any divisional chart - with that chart indicating one's focus, one's tapas. D10 would be focus on career, karma, action. If we find it in the 1/9th divisional chart one's focus gravites to dharma - proper code of living; If D20, one's attention goes to their spiritual pursuits. Like that, the influence.

As an FYI, I wrote above,

Tapaswi Yoga - a union of graha's that bring tapas ( fire or cleansing) to the native this is a yoga with Sani (Saturn) , Sukra (Venus) and Ketu are involved. Sukracharaya is also known as Daitya Guru and is part of Tapaswi Raja Yoga .

One does not quickly see Venus as a tapas centered graha. He earned this via hanging upside down from a tree for 20 years. This twenty years is the length of Venus' dasa period in the Vimshottari (120 year) dasa system.

Sukra's tapas:
While hanging, smoke was blowing on him ( homam) from the fire (agni) below him. Tapas is a heating up, burning off impurities in the sadhu.
This tapas ability comes from several conditions coming together ( as it must have for Sukracharya):

Sani or Saturn's ability for one pointedness and fixity to 'stay the course'
Ketu and moksha, and the yajya homam below Sukra ;
Sukra and his inherent ability of desire for Moksha. Where can one see this in a chart ? Sani aspecting Sukra and Ketu in ones Navamsa or 1/9th divisional chart. The rule is for this to occur the graha's must be in the lagna position or the karakamsa position in the Navamsa chart. (Lagna = ascendant and karakamsa = the sign housing the Atmakaraka) . This position is called Swamsha that is karakamsa + Navamsa Lagna = Swamsha. I mention this as this is used often by Jaimini-muni and we will use again on other posts.

praṇām

Sahasranama
11 May 2011, 02:10 PM
When does tapaswi yoga occur in life, is it determined by the maha dasha period of venus, saturn and ketu?

leo257
11 May 2011, 02:38 PM
Namaste

Thanks for your reply.

A native is having Sagit as Lagna.
Ketu in 5 Aries,
Ven, Sat, Sun & Mer in 8th bhava cancer. This details are from Raashi chart of a native.

Also no graha in Kendra except moon in 7th bhava Gemini.

I am not very clear whether this native got tapasvi yoga.

But the native got VRY since 11th lord in 8th bhava Venus but with no use as 8th Bhava is not considered as auspecious.

Pl focus some light.

Thanks

Leo

yajvan
12 May 2011, 06:42 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Based upon the data given:

I see no trine relationship
No depositor relationship
No sign-to-sign aspect
No mutual aspectsThe only thing I see is saturn aspecting ketu ( 10th house aspect).
Venus co-mingles with saturn as a conjunction but neither get sight-of-sign by ketu. Ketu has no ~head~ and cannot give graha dṛṣṭi.
Yet it (ketu) could ADD to the yoga if there were rāśi dṛṣṭi - viewing the other graha-s from sign-to-sign. There are specific rules on this:

Fixed signs view (aspect) movable signs
Movable view fixed signs
Dual signs view other dual signs.In the case you offered both signs are movable and hence they do not 'see' each other from a rāśi dṛṣṭi aspect.

tapasvi occurs when there is a strong relationship between saturn , ketu and venus .

praṇām

leo257
12 May 2011, 04:21 PM
Sir,

Namaste.

If u permit I can post the native details like date, time and place of birth

Thanks
Leo

NayaSurya
18 May 2011, 09:22 PM
I was looking at the terrible mess which is my chart tonight as for this whole next year I have a transit situation which would make some not leave their home.:p

But I was noticing my thingees for yoga at the bottom of the Jagannatha Hora and found that I have these yoga you mention above within my chart.

So, despite the fact I will be stricken down sometime in the next year perhaps...I will at least,hopefully be goodly.:p

yajvan
18 May 2011, 09:55 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

I was looking at the terrible mess which is my chart tonight as for this whole next year I have a transit situation which would make some not leave their home.:p

When one looks into the new year it is wise to look from the tithi praveśa position or chart.

tithi - a lunar day or position
praveśa - entering , entrance ; the entrance of the sun into a positionHence tithi praveśa is the exact time the sun & moon arrive at the exact position ( in degrees º )of the person's natal birth. This occurs each year. From there we look to see what the year may look like astrologically.

Once we look to the chart it tells us which direction ( dig-bala) the influences are coming from. From there we get a better inclination of the trending.

Recall these influences come to us, nudge and push yet we make the choices. We still own the rudder to the ship. Now what seas come to us ? That is what is in store.

http://sp.life123.com/bm.pix/bigstockphoto_sailing_and_sunset_1139414.s600x600.jpg

praṇām

NayaSurya
19 May 2011, 05:13 AM
Anais Nin's Diary-

January 19, 1922

"The world is the Sea. You [diary] are my Ship. I am the Sailor. Now and then I plunge into the depths, am ballotted and storm-tossed and wind-lashed, or gently carried on the crest of the waves and blessed by a vision of shores and harbors.

My hands are tightly gripped around Experience's very hair. I go wherever it leads me until I tire of her strenuous company and swim back to my Ship. Once there, I rid myself of all the trinkets I have gathered during my expedition. Pearls, seaweeds, sea shells, foam. I place them all in my treasure chest. Then I stand by the steering wheel and gravely guide my Ship toward the shore of which I had a fleeting glimpse.

The voyage is slow, because I am intent on noticing everything, and because I plunge so often. The flight of the sea gulls, the passing of a cloud, sunrises, sunsets, every phase, transformation, change of light, every mood of the sea, its anger, its calms, its heavings and rollings---all these attract my attention, force me to pause, and to record.

Thus while I am meditating, dreaming, rhapsodizing and philosophizing, my ship is left to wander left and right, at the mercy of changing winds and capricious waves. Other ships pass mine by, pursuing a direct and well-charted course. They never pause. It never occurs to the man at the wheel to notice what I notice, and still less to record it. Yet which is the happier voyage? Which is the fortunate ship? Mine! Mine is the Errant Ship. It is guided by a poet. It has a treasure chest. Its sails are Hopes. It is Enchanted." p. 379

_________

I did as you said, looked at this years tithi pravesa and the yoga for this was Siva<3

yajvan
19 May 2011, 01:22 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

I did as you said, looked at this years tithi pravesa and the yoga for this was Siva<3
For those reading this post, you can get a bit more information on śiva yoga at this HDF post :
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=63945&postcount=9

praṇām

NayaSurya
20 May 2011, 01:17 PM
Yajvanji, I am at your feet.

The more I see that my chart says these things which I inherently do...the more I do know that the stars are involved in the mechanism of karma very intimately.

It is a very vital portion of the inner workings...I only wish I could be better at decyphering such things on my own.

NayaSurya
20 May 2011, 02:15 PM

Found this online and it fits AN diary perfectly.

Ekoham
10 July 2011, 06:09 AM
Namaste All,

There was one important Yoga missing in original post as mentioned by Yajvanji.

-The position of moon, as all know moon controls/reflects mind, moon has to be well placed in a horosope alongwith aspects of beneficiary planets like jupiter, venus and no malefic aspects should be there.

-Involvement of Jupiter is important as well, jupiter is Dharma, when dharma aspects karma(Saturn) things has to be naturally evolved towards spirituality.

-12th House is also the house of bed(Sexual) pleasure along with Moksha, the placement of saturn in 12th house is a great indication of involvement in spiritual practices. As saturn burns off sexual desires when in 12th house.

-Rahu in the 8th is another indication towards attaining Moksha in present life as per some books.

A good knowledge of astrology along with spiritual knowledge helps person to find out whether the particular horoscope is suitable for Adhyatma(Spirituality) or not.

As for me I have already given up Astrology because my view- it has no place in higher strata of spirituality. A horoscope contains only 4 tattvas (elements) like earth, water, fire and air but there is no ETHER, the akashic tattva is missing......
For a sadhak who has advanced into akashic tattva, horoscope has no meaning left, you would never find an advanced Yogi consulting astrology and the best part is, this happens automatically, he does not have to give up, it just goes off.

Ekoham

yajvan
11 July 2011, 03:03 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233; Ekoham

As for me I have already given up Astrology because my view- it has no place in higher strata of spirituality. A horoscope contains only 4 tattvas (elements) like earth, water, fire and air but there is no ETHER, the akashic tattva is missing......
Ekoham

Your post adds great value to the conversation, thank you. I'd ask you to consider the following regarding ākāśa. It is guru ( jupiter) that is responsible for this tattva. It is found everywhere and without it the other 4 tattva-s could not exist.

No grāhaka-s &#185; could exist without ākāśa.
gocara, the distance of the planets from the lagna and from each other, would not occur.
Khagras candra grahan (full lunar eclipse), that period when candra ( moon, mind) is seized ( graha) and swallowed up (gras) into or within space (kha) could not occur.
Where would the nakṣatra-s reside without space ?
Guru is responsible for expansion. Where does one expand into if there is no space ākāśa. Hence jyotish addresses this space via the kāraka guru.

praṇām

words
grāhaka - one who seizes or takes captive

Ekoham
13 July 2011, 01:55 AM
Namaste Yajvanji,

I agree without akasha tattva other four will not exist, in fact they are all intermixed and support each other, even then, when we count tattvas for rashis we never consider akashic tattva as it has not been provided with any separate place. As per your quote Jupiter is responsible for this tattva, may be I never considered that, but its a fact that jupiter's basic nature is expansion.
But I was mentioning rashis, when we characterize them we never assign akashic tattva to any rashi, why do we stop at 4 tattvas only, everything in this universe has a meaning, nothing is meaningless, so there also will be some point to greats like parashara, varahmihira not asigning akashic tattva to any rashi.
As you say it is always present, I agree but not specifically asigned, why?
Lets try linking it to Yogic sadhna, during yogi's sadhna as he advances and crosses four tattvas into akashic tattva, the effects of planets on him cease to exist, he realizes The Truth, The Truth of who he is. One needs to understand the symbolic meaning behind this.
Planets can only affect body, our mind and hence intellect but they can never reach the true self the 'ATMAN' which is our true nature. How then can anything that is related to apara (avidya) can affect such Yogi who is situated in complete true knowledge of self(para vidya).
Astrology can play role only in our material life, giving us various indications as to what can/may happen, but again it is avidya only, it can't make one progress on the path of spirituality. It can only take a sadhak only to certain level by showing his interests and when he/she would be deeply involved in spiritual practices beyond that.....it is his karma...

I will mention again the last para of my previous post............
For a sadhak who has advanced into akashic tattva, horoscope has no meaning left, you would never find an advanced Yogi consulting astrology and the best part is, this happens automatically, he does not have to give up, it just goes off-- LIKE WHEN THE SUN (KNOWLEDGE OF SELF) RISES ALL THE DARKNESS (AVIDYA) DISAPPEARS, LIGHT DOES NOT HAVE TO WORK TO DO AWAY WITH DARKNESS ITS A NATURAL PROCESS.

But does that mean his body is no more affected by planets or to be precise Prarabdha, yes it is but Yogi has gone beyond all these good/bad effects he simply becomes a Drashta (witness) to all that is happening without reacting to anything.

OM

yajvan
13 July 2011, 08:43 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233; Ekoham

Namaste Yajvanji,

I agree without akasha tattva other four will not exist, in fact they are all intermixed and support each other, even then, when we count tattvas for rashis we never consider akashic tattva as it has not been provided with any separate place. As per your quote Jupiter is responsible for this tattva, may be I never considered that, but its a fact that jupiter's basic nature is expansion.
But I was mentioning rashis, when we characterize them we never assign akashic tattva to any rashi, why do we stop at 4 tattvas only, everything in this universe has a meaning, nothing is meaningless, so there also will be some point to greats like parashara, varahmihira not asigning akashic tattva to any rashi.
OM

I will answer your questions, yet it is best to take them one at a time...

regarding rāśi&#185; - note that they are assigned fire, earth, air water ( in common parlance). Yet this ākāśa is the foundation for each. Found in each rāśi it is not constrained, as it is space, it cannot be ~ localized~ into one sign or another. This is the principle acting here.

praṇām

words
rāśi- a sign of the zodiac (as being a certain sum or quantity of degrees) , one-twelfth part of the ecliptic , an astrological house ; a heap, mass, collection

yajvan
13 July 2011, 10:23 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Ekoham writes,

Lets try linking it to Yogic sadhna, during yogi's sadhna as he advances and crosses four tattvas into akashic tattva, the effects of planets on him cease to exist, he realizes The Truth, The Truth of who he is. One needs to understand the symbolic meaning behind this
Yet one must be aware the that the travel to the Self even goes beyond the subtle tattva of ākāśa. The yogi journey's to turīya ( the 4th) then even beyond the 4th , called turīyātīta. Now we are outside of jyotish here and its influence; I concur in what you write:

Planets can only affect body, our mind and hence intellect but they can never reach the true self the 'ATMAN' which is our true nature.

If one wishes to read more about this turīya, consider this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3312 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3312)

praṇām

Ekoham
14 July 2011, 01:53 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

Ekoham writes,

Yet one must be aware the that the travel to the Self even goes beyond the subtle tattva of ākāśa. The yogi journey's to turīya ( the 4th) then even beyond the 4th , called turīyātīta. Now we are outside of jyotish here and its influence; I concur in what you write:
If one wishes to read more about this turīya, consider this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3312 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3312)

praṇām

Namaste Yajvanji,

I agree to your view on self journey to Turiyavastha and even beyond and have no doubt about it. Since we both agreed on the limitations of astrology especially on journey to self , I end my posting here.

Rgds

Ekoham