PDA

View Full Version : How does one become a Hindu?

Hiwaunis
11 August 2007, 09:04 PM
I meditate, chant Shiva, Vishnu, Laxmi, Durga and Gayatri mantras as well as practice some kundalini awakening. I am vegetarian and celebate. Am I a Hindu?

Nuno Matos
11 August 2007, 09:47 PM
Namaste

I think that apart from personal initiation by a guru or a priest. To be or become an Hindu you must have the Hindu Sanskaras. Sanskaras are the Hindu sacraments and play the same role as baptism or holly matrimony in Christianity.
Never the less i would like to see this question answered by some of the senior members on HDF.

sarabhanga
12 August 2007, 01:38 AM
Namaste Hiwaunis,

Some would consider that a Hindu is “born in India”; some would consider that a Hindu is “speaking Hindi”; some would consider that a Hindu is “practising Hinduism”; some would consider that a Hindu must be all of these things. But let’s take a closer look at the matter.

hiND means to go or to wander.

hiNDika is an Astrologer.

hiNDI is a name for Durga.

hiNDuka is a name for Shiva.

ind means to drop.

indu is a bright Drop or a Spark.

indu is the Moon.

indus is Vastoshpati (Lord of the sacred Site).

syand means to flow rapidly, to discharge liquid, or to drip.

syanda is the Moon.

sindhu is a River, Flood, or the Waters (generally).

sindhu is the Indus River, or the surrounding country and its inhabitants.

sindUra is Red Lead.

The source of the sindhu is syanda or indu.

The mark of the sindhu is the sindUra bindu.

The lord of the sindhu is indus or hiNDuka.

The hiNDika follows indu; and the hiNDuka follows hiNDI. ;)

indu (from ind ~ “to drop”) is a drop, especially of soma ~ a bright drop or a spark.

indu (or bindu) is the Moon itself (i.e. soma).

And the indava (“the Moons” ~ as the Moon's fluctuations or flow) are recognized on Earth as (H)indus from the Sindhu ~ both as lightening drops from the heavenly Waters and as brightening sparks from the sacred Fire !

There can be no spark or flame (i.e. Indu or Jiva) without the eternal Fire (i.e. Sindhu, “the ocean of Light”, the Atman or Brahman) ~ that Fire which always burns, hidden in the dark Waters, and surrounded by rays or arrows or reeds or rushes, the son of man and of God, just waiting to be found. :)

A Hindu is an Indu ~ a bright droplet or spark from the Sindhu, which flows ultimately from the Sun.

Hindu is essentially a synonym for Aditya ~ Son of Aditi ~ and aditi means “not tied, free, boundless, unbroken, entire, unimpaired, or happy”.

aditi is “freedom, security, or safety”, and also “boundlessness, immensity, inexhaustible abundance, unimpaired condition, perfection, or creative power”.

Aditi is one of the most ancient of the Devis ~ being “Infinity” or the “Eternal and Infinite Expanse”, often mentioned in the Rig Veda. Aditi is the daughter of Daksha and the wife of Kashyapa ~ the mother of all the Adityas, and all of the Gods. Aditi is known as a cow, or as milk, or as the sustaining earth itself; and most importantly She is known as speech.

India is a vast continent with an ancient history, including an enormous range of cultures and traditions; and it is difficult to find any strict definition of a single faith that unites all of this under one name of “Hinduism”.

However, it has long been understood that a Hindu is “one who communes with the Rishis”, and all Brahmanas are supposed to have a direct connexion (spiritual and/or genetic) back to one of the ancient Rishis. The Brahmanas and their Rishis dwell together in a figurative Gotra or “Cow Pen”, of which there are about 50; and each of these lineages returns ultimately to one of the Sapta Rishi or “Seven Sages”. Most southern Indians claim descent from an eighth Rishi (i.e. Agastya).

Other castes have their own ancient clan-leaders, saints, and heroes, from whom their various lineages are assumed to have sprung; but when it comes to spiritual and ritual matters, the non-Brahmana Hindu in practice adopts the Gotra of his/her Guru or the officiating Brahmana.

Of course, it is theoretically possible for a non-Indian to “commune” with the Rishis through independent reading of the Vedas and their innumerable commentaries; although most Indians would not claim to have truly grasped the meanings hidden in the ancient Sanskrit text of the Vedas (Revelations of the Rishis) without the aid of a Guru or learned Brahmana.

Just as all sacred texts and philosophies must be connected with and in conformity with (in some arguable way) the original revealed texts of Hinduism (i.e. the Vedas) and the teachings of the original 7 or 8 Rishis in order to be considered Sanatana Dharma or Hindu, it is a traditional understanding that all individuals claiming to be Hindu also admit their intimate association with one of the Hindu Gotras, either through their parents, through their priest, or through their Guru.

Christianity without Christ would merely be mythology and morals, and so too Hinduism without Rishis is a free-for-all grab-bag of myths, morals, and methods.

All Brahmanas know that a Guru is required; and most non-Brahmana Indian Hindus recognize that a Guru is necessary; and I would strongly suggest that for all non-Indian “Hindus” some introduction to one of the Gotras, either through marriage, a Brahmana priest, or a Guru, is absolutely vital.

It should be noted that (by this definition) it is not possible for a self-enlightened (i.e. enlightened without a Guru) non-Indian to truly be Hindu ~ no matter how many Hindu texts they may have read and digested, no matter how exquisite their knowledge of Sanskrit may be, no matter that they may have adopted every nuance of the perfect Hindu Guru in attitude and attire. Hinduism does not deny that these individuals might be “enlightened”, but their “Hindu-like” doctrines and methods do not, by themselves, make them Hindu.

In Hinduism, the blessings of a Guru are fundamental.

vcindiana
12 August 2007, 07:27 AM
I meditate, chant Shiva, Vishnu, Laxmi, Durga and Gayatri mantras as well as practice some kundalini awakening. I am vegetarian and celebate. Am I a Hindu?

Hinduism is an exotic "spicy" religion. Some Westerners are fascinated and try to become Hindus. There is no such thing as an outsider to get converted to Hinduism. Conversion is originally a Christian concept, I am not sure that is right. Hinduism is a very exclusive religion and as a matter of fact, caste system is even more exclusive. My sister insists her daughter has to marry a "good" boy of her own subtribe. In my village Shudras are not supposed to chant Gayatri Mantra. For me these mantras never helped.

Dalai Lama said it right, you do not need to convert to another religion, you can just dig deeper in your own religion you may find some truth and I add that You do not have to belong to a religion and try to act Holy. You need to find Truth on your own, not from some saffron colored robed GURU or Pundit or Pope. Turn on your consciousness and you will see the freedom.

indianx
12 August 2007, 07:54 AM
Hinduism is a very exclusive religion and as a matter of fact, caste system is even more exclusive. My sister insists her daughter has to marry a "good" boy of her own subtribe. In my village Shudras are not supposed to chant Gayatri Mantra. For me these mantras never helped.

And since when did your sister and your village become the Pope and Vatican of Hinduism? :p

I just don't understand your generalizations and I see no credibility behind your claims.

Hiwanuis, if you feel learning and engaging in the Dharma improve you as a person and if you know that this is your way to achieving realization, then you are a Hindu.

But, if you feel that you need to adhere to some particular definition of what it means to be a 'Hindu', then Sarabhanga's post will be of good use.

Agnideva
12 August 2007, 09:20 AM
Namaste Hiwaunis,

How do you feel about it? Your practices mentioned above are clearly those of Hinduism. Is there anything in your belief and practice that keeps you from saying you are a Hindu?

When you ask the question “How does one become a Hindu?” you will get a myriad different answers ranging from “you cannot become a Hindu if you are not born one”, all the way to, “we have a conversion ritual you can undergo to become Hindu”. Depending on one's personal conviction and sectarian affiliation, each person will give you a different answer. Ultimately, it is up to you, and not someone else, to decide whether you are a Hindu or not.

How does one become a Hindu? Simple answer: by belief and practice of Sanatana Dharma. In the book, How to Become a Hindu (http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/hbh/), Sivaya Subramuniyaswami, mentions that a person who comes to Hinduism should first begin to explore different Hindu traditions and sects and find one that most appeals to them. Then, practice the Dharma for a while at home and temple, learn all about the philosophy and theology. After one is comfortable with the belief and practice, he strongly suggests a name-giving sacrament (namakarana) from a priest. For initiation into a certain sect, one can further approach a guru for a mantra diksha (initiation into mantra).

Please note that the guidelines in that book are specific and very strict, but they are particular for entrance into his sect.

OM Shanti,
A.

Hiwaunis
13 August 2007, 05:41 PM
Om Shanti,
Thanks to all of you for your answers. When people ask what my religion is I say I don't claim a religion. I practice Eastern philosophy. This response usually opens the flood gates of negative and ignorant comments. Physically, I am an African American. Most African Americans don't know any more about Eastern philosophy than they do the number of moons in the galaxy Orion.

I do not speak Hindu, nor was I born in India. I would like to have a Guru, but as of now I don't have one. I can however say that I am an enlightened soul. Maybe in my next birth I'll be a Hindu.

Eastern Mind
08 September 2007, 07:42 PM
IMHO, you do not 'become' a Hindu. You either are one already, or you're not. What are your beliefs? If they fit in with 'Hinduism' (in brackets because the word, in my understanding was coined by the British, as 'the people east of the Indus') In my experience, it is very very difficult (but not impossible) to switch a belief system. We all have strong samskaras from early in life, and those impressions will harbor in our subconscious minds for a long time. But as time heals all wounds, so too do early ideas dissipate. I think it is best to look inside yourself, and try to figure out what you believe. On the practical side, you can easily begin the practice by reading, going to a temple, etc. Whether or not that makes you Hindu is irrelevant. The real questions should be ones like "Can I control anger?" Can I become more charitable? The true miracles are in the development of character and practice of humanity. Aum Namashivaya