PDA

View Full Version : How do I begin?

dharma66
22 August 2007, 09:45 AM
Hello all.

Over the last few years I have had a distinct draw towards Sanatana Dharma. A little background about me might help.

I am a 41 year old British guy, of Anglo Saxon descent. I have practiced various forms of yoga on and off for some time, recently focusing less on the typical Raja Yoga practices now widespread in the West, and more on Bhakti and Karma yoga. In my involvement with yoga I have come into contact with several concepts of the Dharma (indeed my Yoga Guru Paramahamsa Niranjananda Saraswati of Bihar gave me the name Dharma some years ago), and have always felt drawn towards them.

A couple of years ago I went to the fantastic Mandir in London (the really big one), and on a business trip to India, I once plucked up the courage to enter a small Mandir. Both of these were fantastic experiences, even though all I did on either occasion was simply sit on the floor for a few hours and watch people come and go.

Recently I am drawn more and more to discovering more about the Dharma, and I feel that I would really like to have some level of active participation.

The thing is that I don't really know how much it is possible for someone born outside of Hinduism to become an active participant, and even though I live in Manchester (UK) and have many friends from varied faith backgrounds, I have no immediate friends or associates who participate in the Hindu faith.

If anyone can provide a place I might go, or someone I might contact, to get further information or pointers, I would be truly grateful.

meez
22 August 2007, 10:25 AM
Well my friend, this is a good place to start. The very act posting here and doing research on your own is actively participating in the Dharma.

As far as something local, I'm afraid I can't help you there. Searching the internet for temples, groups, etc. in your area may yield some results.

Good luck my friend! Be well.

dharma66
22 August 2007, 10:31 AM
Many thanks for the encouragement.

I have managed to find the addresses of a couple of local temples, but to be honest, I would feel a little awkward just turning up. Also, I wouldn't really know when to turn up!

yajvan
22 August 2007, 11:52 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Hello all.

If anyone can provide a place I might go, or someone I might contact, to get further information or pointers, I would be truly grateful.

Namaste dharma66
your honesty is refreshing... I do not have a total solution to your need. Let me say getting involved is like getting into a nice hot bath. We do it a foot at a time, yes?

So, spend some time here on this site...there is a wealth of knowledge. You will be able to separate the diamonds from the rocks as you read the posts.

Also - showing up at the temple in humility is a noteworthy thing to do...
Walk in, removing your shoes outside, and look for the pundit. Address him sincerely and mention your desire and where to begin. When to go is up to your schedule, yet during the weekday is usually slower times.

In the USA, the hours are usually 9 AM to 1 PM, then the temple opens again at 5 PM to 9 PM. Weekends [ usually open all day and up to 9 PM] are usually filled with pujas and the like - so try a day that works for you.

hope this helps a bit... let us know how it goes.

pranams,

meez
22 August 2007, 01:13 PM
Many thanks for the encouragement.

I have managed to find the addresses of a couple of local temples, but to be honest, I would feel a little awkward just turning up. Also, I wouldn't really know when to turn up!

yajvan had some good info about when temples are normally open and advice for going there. Thats really all you have to do, just show up. It may seem awkward at first because you don't know anyone or the customs of the temple, etc., but just keep in mind that everyone there had a first time. I'm sure everyone will welcome you.

Be well.

satay
22 August 2007, 02:28 PM
Namaskar Dharma66!

Hello all.

Over the last few years I have had a distinct draw towards Sanatana Dharma. A little background about me might help.

Welcome to HDF. As my good buddhist friend vajradhara would say, "this is due to your good karma ripening'. :)

Please also read the thread on temples in this forum http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1758