PDA

View Full Version : Why are the words of mantra's so sacred?

Hiwaunis
26 August 2007, 06:20 AM
Om Shanti,
I wonder what it is about chanting and meditating that makes me feel (for lack of a better word) different? Why are the words of mantra's so sacred? Why do I get the feeling of not existing even though I know that I exist? What happens to the concept of time? Why is it that I can't feel or realize the passage of time when I am chanting? And, also this feeling of weightlessness and vastness. Is this all in my mind? Is this the effect of chanting? Does anyone else get these feelings specifically when chanting? I like the way I feel or not feel, but I'd like to understand what's going on.

Any suggestions?

Hiwaunis

Khadgar
26 August 2007, 10:48 AM
'Sacred' is a human construct. Self Realization is not. The words of the mantra are not nearly as important as the tone and inflection in which they are meant to be chanted. The specific vibration of something such as 'Om Mani Pinde Hum', chanted properly centers individual deluded consciousness to focus on the infinite nothingness [Superconscious].

yajvan
26 August 2007, 12:34 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Om Shanti,
I wonder what it is about chanting and meditating that makes me feel (for lack of a better word) different? Why are the words of mantra's so sacred? Hiwaunis

Namaste Hiwaunis & Khadgar,
This is a very good question that we should continue to discuss... let me suggest one post that will assist in the conversation. http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=835
If you and others wish to continue this, I think it will bear some good insights. Khadgar brings an excellent point the sound quality, inflection e.g. chandas, is important

Mantras and vak, picked, really cognized in the vedas are profound , as they have meaning and value on multiple levels...intellectually to assist in understanding , also in sound quality to improve the mind and consciousness' functioning...this is sama ved.

Also Rishi, chandas and devata are formulaic. The ancient muni's were very purposeful on this matter.

After you take a look a at the above post, and perhaps visit some of the posts in the meditation folder, we and others can stitch together a very nice conversation.

A key conversation part would be Rig Ved 1.164.39 Richo akshare parame vyoman - that is, richa resides (some say situated) in akshara. the riks (knowledge) resides in akshara or the Absolute, non-changing field of existence, some call this pure consciousness.

As you stimulate this within yourself with various vibrations, you are bringing more rik into your consciousness... hence, some then say , knowledge is structured consciousness. A very profound implication comes of this... more if there is interest and after you had a chance to look at some of the posts.

pranams,

Hiwaunis
30 August 2007, 12:44 PM
'Sacred' is a human tone and inflection in which they are meant to be chanted. The specific vibration of something such as 'Om Mani Pinde Hum', chanted properly centers individual deluded consciousness to focus on the infinite nothingness [Superconscious].construct. Self Realization is not. The words of the mantra are not nearly as important as the

Om Shanti Khadgar,
Do you have any recommendations on how one would learn the proper pronunciation, tone and inflection? With most mantras I just read them and start chanting what I think is the proper pronunciation.

Namaste,
Hiwaunis

sarabhanga
31 August 2007, 03:17 AM
Namaste Hiwaunis,

Mantra should be obtained directly from a Guru, who heard it from his Guru, and so on back to the source. And when such a Guru has spoken the mantra to you, there should be no doubt as to the correct pronunciation and method and ultimate result.

sm78
31 August 2007, 04:07 AM
Om Shanti Khadgar,
Do you have any recommendations on how one would learn the proper pronunciation, tone and inflection? With most mantras I just read them and start chanting what I think is the proper pronunciation.

Namaste,
Hiwaunis

Namaste Hiwaunis,

As Sarabhanga Ji has mentioned, one can have no doubt about pronounciation and efficacy of a mantra when received from a competent Guru.

However for general purpose of reciting stotras I find the following site very instructive ~ just listen to the MP3's and try to grasp the chandas etc. Understanding via listening is also the ancient way of learning.

http://www.astrojyoti.com/stotrasopeningpage.htm

Khadgar
05 September 2007, 01:27 PM
construct. Self Realization is not. The words of the mantra are not nearly as important as the

Om Shanti Khadgar,

Namaste,
Hiwaunis

I'm no expert, I wish I knew =(

Hiwaunis
05 September 2007, 02:41 PM
Namaste Hiwaunis,

As Sarabhanga Ji has mentioned, one can have no doubt about pronounciation and efficacy of a mantra when received from a competent Guru.

However for general purpose of reciting stotras I find the following site very instructive ~ just listen to the MP3's and try to grasp the chandas etc. Understanding via listening is also the ancient way of learning.

http://www.astrojyoti.com/stotrasopeningpage.htm

Namaste sm78
I went to the website that you suggested and it is just GREAT! In the words of an American teenage girl, "Awesome"!

Thank you very, very much!

Om Shanti,
Hiwaunis