PDA

View Full Version : Something good...

satay
27 August 2007, 12:19 PM
Namaste,
I thought to start this thread for all of us to share something that you admire about other traditions/religions.

So say something nice and share what one thing you 'like' the most about other religions. You can share more than one if you would like.

satay
27 August 2007, 12:33 PM
I will start:

Christianity - I like a number of books written by christians. I notice that many christians write books on God's nature. I like that christianity teaches that it is not a religion but a 'relationship' with God. Some true christians I know are really quite blessed in this i.e. trying to know the nature of God and trying to build a nice relationship with God. A lot of literature, with a nice clean simple path and a connection to divine. Drop everything and just follow God. Couldn't be simpler than this.

Islam - I like the reverence with which muslims pray. I have seen them praying in major airports, universities, business centers without a hint of intimidation or embarrassment even though they were being stared at.

Buddhism – For its doctrine of karma and silence.

Nachiketa
27 August 2007, 03:10 PM
Islam : for the spirit of brotherhood ( among themselves).
Sikhism: tolerance and strength.

Madhavan
27 August 2007, 03:27 PM
Christianity - its simplicity which appeals to the masses.

Islam - highly disciplined movement and does not encourage any kind of 'laziness' in matters of religion.

Buddhism, Jainism - non violence

Within our own fold:

ISKCON - its simplicity akin to Christianity
Vishistadvaita - its concept of SharaNAgati
Dvaita - strong emphasis on logic and rationale. Dont believe without evidence attitude.(infact no fake 'godman' can dupe a dvaitin because they beleive only in god and no 'godmen')
Advaita - universalism resulting in very few conflicts in the society.
Shakta/Shaiva - broad outlook on religion with more emphasis on higher religeous disciplines like Yoga.

saidevo
28 August 2007, 06:26 AM
Most religions other than Hinduism: the reverence given by the mass of followers to their core scriptures and the level of knowledge about them.

Christianity: their godhouses are kept neat and tidy; they do extensive religious research; (why is it that most scientists and other pioneers of worldly life are Christians and Jews? Or is it not so?)

Islam: commitment to prayer; propensity to increase their family population.
Buddhism: Accomplishments of meditation by their Himalayan gurus;
Jainism: non-violence

Vaishnavism: niyamas, rituals and pujas
Saivism: devotion to Shiva
Hindu groups such as ISKCON, Sai Baba devotees, etc.: they love their gurus and their teachings and have better direction in devotion and spirituality.

Ancient religions: the wisdom they displayed which is akin to that of Sanatana Dharma and is valid even today.