PDA

View Full Version : I am THIS close

Haridas
29 August 2007, 03:10 PM
Namaste all.

In my search for the correct philosophy that agrees with all the Scriptures, I have found that nearly every philosophy contradicts at least one Scripture. However, I have seen agreement in, at least, in the Vaishnava scriptures and Advaita. However, four things are stopping me from even touching Advaita. Forgive my ignorance, but maybe it's incorrect information (I was a Dvaita, the most severe rivals of Advaita).

1) Sri Shankara said that God is an illusion (to sum up his views of God). Is this true? Does Sri Shankara teach that God is an illusion, and that in reality there is no God? Does he teach that "God" is only a trick played upon the mind by maya?

2) What is Sri Shankara's view on moksha? What will we do after obtaining moksha, and how do we obtain it in the first place?

3) What about Bhakti? If the answer to the questions in question 1 is "Yes", then this question is pointless. However, if the answer to the questions in question 1 is "No", then what does Sri Shankara think about Bhakti?

4) Adi Shankara said that the world isn't real. Why is it, then, that Lord Vishnu incarnates onto this Earth to guide people and to reestablish Dharma and to annihilate the miscreants when in reality this all (the world, evil, etc.) isn't real?

Once these questions are answered, then I'll start studying about nd start practicing Advaita. Until then, I just want to know about it. It's time for me to stop practicing what I like and start practicing the truth, so please don't sugar-coat the truth (no offence meant).

Please know, however, that if question 1 is answered with a "No", then I'll completely exclude Advaita out of my list of possible philosophies for myself due to my own experiences and beliefs and studies (for lack of a better word). Thanks in advance.

Madhavan
01 September 2007, 02:36 AM
Namaste Haridas,

1) Sri Shankara said that God is an illusion (to sum up his views of God). Is this true? Does Sri Shankara teach that God is an illusion, and that in reality there is no God? Does he teach that "God" is only a trick played upon the mind by maya?

Can you defined God? According to Shankara the God that is known from the purANas with form and special characteristics is not the complete understanding of God, but only from our perspective. He does not teach that God is an illusion per se, but the God you imagine( or even see) is merely a construct of the mind.

2) What is Sri Shankara's view on moksha? What will we do after obtaining moksha, and how do we obtain it in the first place?

Moksha is non dual realization, ie seeing all dualty with the one consciousness that caused it. There is nothing to be done on getting moksha as the essential nature of the Self is to be actionless, but that which causes action in others. Moksha or Atma cannot be realized because it is the very being and ever present. What can be realized is anAtman or non self, and finally discarded.

3) What about Bhakti? If the answer to the questions in question 1 is "Yes", then this question is pointless. However, if the answer to the questions in question 1 is "No", then what does Sri Shankara think about Bhakti?

Bhakti leads to moksha, but it is not the final goal of Advaita. In Advaita, there is emphasis on bhakti and surrender to the personal God, which is a manifestation of the Absolute. The ultimate goal in Adviata is to attain the consciousness of turiya, and many ways can lead to it.(bhakti being one of them)

4) Adi Shankara said that the world isn't real. Why is it, then, that Lord Vishnu incarnates onto this Earth to guide people and to reestablish Dharma and to annihilate the miscreants when in reality this all (the world, evil, etc.) isn't real?

This is all part of the unreality. From our point of view, incarnations teach Dharma and also the path to moksha and hence act as teachers and saviours. Just because the world is considered unreal does not mean that there is nothing for us to do or we can act as we like. Doing so will keep you confined to this unreality. We must always view things from our consciousness and not from the Absolute consciousness.

Regards,