PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance By Any Other Name...

yajvan
03 September 2007, 05:49 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

This is to stimulate views, opinions and points of reference. I hope any and all that wish to participate, jump in!

What is this thing we define as ignorance?

The Vedanta view sees it as avidya and usually mentions the word nescience; from nescientia ne- not + scientia knowledge. This a+vidya suggests not + vidya or knowledge - without or opposite of knowledge.

The Sankhya's calls this ignorance aviveka or a or not + viveka or discrimination, hence non-discrimination between the real and the unreal. Yet one must ask what real and non-real are we alluding to?

Nyaya school of thinking calls ignorance mithya jnana. Mithya or wrongly, wrongfully, falseness or misapprehension; also mithuyā = conversely, contrary; wrongfully, incorrectly + Jnana or knowledge - so the misapprehension of knowledge.

The Yoga school of thinking may say it as the lack of viveka (discrimination) between buddhi ( the intellect) and Purusha ( Being); this is called Viveka-khyati.

Each view of the human condition suggests, if one is not living in Dharma-mega (as Patanjali may say it), or enlightenment, then one is bathing in ignorance. All suggest this other state of being is more reliable, enjoyable and preferred to this ignorance so many of us, ( me that is), lives in.

Each view, each approach wants to get rid of it , this condition. But what is it? What is this ignorance to get rid of? Is it I do not know how to add , or do calculus? Or I do not know the distance from here to the moon, or cannot parse a sentence out into verbs, nouns, pro-nouns and prepositional phrases?

These things are being ignorant of knowing this information… Yet ignorance is a state of ___________________? What? Where is this ignorance hiding? how come I cannot just think it , throw it away? How come I cannot not take a class and make it dis-appear?

Do you care to share your thoughts and opinions on this?

pranams,

vcindiana
03 September 2007, 08:35 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

This is to stimulate views, opinions and points of reference. I hope any and all that wish to participate, jump in!

What is this thing we define as ignorance?

These things are being ignorant of knowing this information… Yet ignorance is a state of ___________________? What? Where is this ignorance hiding? how come I cannot just think it , throw it away? How come I cannot not take a class and make it dis-appear?

Do you care to share your thoughts and opinions on this?

pranams,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello: Let me please jump in.

Hope I do not undermine your "holy or intellectual thread" watched closely by your administrator.

I define ignorance as simple as a state of bondage, not knowing the freedom of consciousness. Ignorance is not lack of some knowledge or not being intellectual. In unlimited freedom I do crazy things but also in that very freedom I can see what is good what is bad. Without force or coercion I can find truth on my own, I see the most beautiful thing in life called Love. There is no Love without freedom.

yajvan
03 September 2007, 09:38 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Hello: Let me please jump in.

Hope I do not undermine your "holy or intellectual thread" watched closely by your administrator.

I define ignorance as simple as a state of bondage, not knowing the freedom of consciousness. Ignorance is not lack of some knowledge or not being intellectual. In unlimited freedom I do crazy things but also in that very freedom I can see what is good what is bad. Without force or coercion I can find truth on my own, I see the most beautiful thing in life called Love. There is no Love without freedom.

Namaste and hello vcindiana,
Sure jump in, your views are welcomed here. You mention this bondage.
What is one bound to in your opinion? What is there to bond ? I see you say 'not knowing the freedom of consciousness' . How are these two related? You have captured my attention.

And I like the notion of ignorance as ' not the lack of some knowledge'. Please explain your ideas further - you are on to something.

thank you for your post.... and I won't even tell the administrator you were here ((((http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif)))) !

atanu
04 September 2007, 05:20 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

----thank you for your post.... and I won't even tell the administrator you were here ((((http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif)))) !

Admin is saharsaksha. hehe. Though VC is onto heavy stuff now.

vcindiana
07 September 2007, 09:39 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste and hello vcindiana,
Sure jump in, your views are welcomed here. You mention this bondage.
What is one bound to in your opinion? What is there to bond ? I see you say 'not knowing the freedom of consciousness' . How are these two related? You have captured my attention.

And I like the notion of ignorance as ' not the lack of some knowledge'. Please explain your ideas further - you are on to something.

thank you for your post.... and I won't even tell the administrator you were here ((((http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif)))) !

Thank you for your questions.

I have no solid opinions! Opinion itself can become bondage! I would rather be an observer with free thoughts.

I look at the bondage as something that clouds my imaginative, creative and free thinking. I cannot grow when my mind gets bonded or fixed to certain philosophy, dogma, rituals, laws, superstitions, theology etc It is not that I am egocentric, then that itself also can become a bondage. Bondage comes in so many forms. Dependence is a form of bondage, in its deeper kind one inwardly depends on another for his happiness. We want to look good, we want to be self righteous, we like to be smart and intelligent and for these we strive hard for the approval of our fellow human beings. Our success is measured by how other people think us and grade us; we are so psychologically dependent on others. On this forum alone I can see the grading system, who are we trying to impress?