PDA

View Full Version : Shiv Puja

satay
13 September 2007, 11:05 AM
Namaskar,

This post is inspired by what Singhi said on another thread under I am Hindu forum about Lord Shiva being the least demanding God.

A few weeks back, I got into kind of an argument or discussion with my younger brother who is a devout shiv baktha, does daily puja (probably twice a day) etc. etc.

Though I also am a shiv baktha now...my puja routine is (how shall I put this)...not very good. That is to say that I am not a 'puja guy'. I simply do my japa in the morning, light a diya only if and when I feel like it.

I agree with Singhi that Lord Shiva is the least demanding or atleast that is my understanding as well. The discussion with my brother was on the same topic.

I think that a 'total surrender' internal attitude is much more important than the outwardly ritual of puja.

Don't know how other members feel about this...please share.

Eastern Mind
13 September 2007, 03:22 PM
Surely there must be a better word for it than 'demanding'. I noticed in previous posts it was in quotation marks. Maybe 'wishing the devotee would..' I don't believe the God or Gods demand anything of us. We demand it of ourselves. Even then I think that's too much pressure on oneself. Aum Namashivaya

Agnideva
13 September 2007, 04:05 PM
Namaskar Satay,

Don't know how other members feel about this...please share.
Performing complex pujas is beyond me as well. I leave that to the experts in temple. I know how to do a very simple home puja and do so on occasion. I don't leave home in the morning without saying my mantras and without my pranams at the altar ... this is very important to me. IMHO, it doesn't matter whether we do puja everyday at home or perform a simple act of devotion. What's more important is that we take the time to remember Him everyday, and offer to Him whatever that is in our hearts, in our minds.

Aum Namah Shivaya.
A.

sm78
14 September 2007, 01:34 AM
My comment on Shiva being least "demanding" God is that Shiva Linga Archanam is perhaves the easiest puja to perform. Shiva puja dravyas are easiest to obtain as compared to say dravyas needed for Devi-Puja.

In Sanatana Dhrama we are strict believers of Karma and merit associated with a particular activity. Performing regular puja certainly earns the devotee a special merit which cannot be earned by just professing a belief.

Now does this mean, that those like us who don't and can't do regular puja are less blessed than a devout pujari ?? ~ I don't know!!!

But perhaves we should not compare our internal bhakti approach to that of an upasak.

We can't do anything without Almighty's grace ~ even his own puja!!!

shian
26 September 2007, 07:02 AM
Om Mahesvaraye Svaha
bro and sis, do you have the cool version of Shiva Aarti or bhajan or kirtan Mp3(i need to download)??

thanks^^

Agnideva
27 September 2007, 10:01 PM
Om Mahesvaraye Svaha
bro and sis, do you have the cool version of Shiva Aarti or bhajan or kirtan Mp3(i need to download)??
thanks^^
Namaste Shian,

There are a few Shiva stotras, bhajans, etc. mp3 files on the YogaUsa (http://www.yogausa.com/audio-chants-of-shiva-mp3.htm) site, which you can actually download to your computer.

If you want to listen online, there are a few more on the Astrojyoti (http://www.astrojyoti.com/shivamp3list.htm) site.

Aum Namah Shivaya.
A.

Eastern Mind
28 September 2007, 06:55 PM
Puja is in the heart. Elaborate rituals are worthless without devotion. This is my opinion. I have seen elaborate rituals (Mahakumbabhishekam) ... about the most elaborate ritual you can get done 'with' devotion, and it was a wonderful blessed (blissed) event. I've also witnessed the other... I was duped... this fellow did a great (seemingly) puja for Vinayaka Chaturthi one year.. lots of nice beautiful mantras, etc. Then right at the supposed height of the puja, once he had the crowd's attention, he stopped, and switched to a long somewhat egotistical and boring talk on Vedanta... the vibration went away completely, and left many disappointed devotees. An odd experience for me.
Then there was the time on the island of Mauritius, a friend and I stopped at a Muruga temple that was about 20 feet by 10 feet. My friend called for the caretaker, and elderly man who lived close by. He was unwashed, dressed in old denim, looked like he had just arisen from afternoon siesta, but nonetheless stepped into the sanctum part of the temple, which was only slightly smaller than the 'crowd' part, lit a light, said "Aum Muruga" 3 times, and brought us out the 'aarti' flame. I almost fell over at the vibration, it was quite overwhelming, and beautiful. Seeing this non-Brahmin humble man bring out God from the murthy in this way surely helped me formulate the opinion in the first sentence above. Aum Namashivaya

shian
01 October 2007, 07:40 PM
thank you ^_^

shian
01 October 2007, 07:45 PM
i have Vikram hazra Shankara cd...

Namah Siva Sankara Sesankasekara Hara Bam Hara Bam Bham Bham Bolo

yajvan
01 October 2007, 08:02 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Puja is in the heart. Then there was the time on the island of Mauritius, a friend and I stopped at a Muruga temple that was about 20 feet by 10 feet. My friend called for the caretaker, and elderly man who lived close by. He was unwashed, dressed in old denim, looked like he had just arisen from afternoon siesta, but nonetheless stepped into the sanctum part of the temple, which was only slightly smaller than the 'crowd' part, lit a light, said "Aum Muruga" 3 times, and brought us out the 'aarti' flame. I almost fell over at the vibration, it was quite overwhelming,

Namaste EM,
What you say is a very important lesson... it is the quality of the ritvik, the pujuri that does the homan/havan/puja.

What am I suggesting by quality? That of his consciousness and what he is established in. Has that consciousness blossomed? So when one calls upon the devata they are there, that is the feeling one gets. Is Agni there with 'aarti' flame when called? He is closest to us all and the harbinger of other devata.
It is this quality, that bears fruit for the yajya, and for the yajamana. This is the 'blessing' one experiences when the yajya is done with the qualified jnata (knower).

Thank you for sharing this.

pranams,

shian
02 November 2007, 10:27 PM
MAHAMRITYUNJAYA MANTRA : (powerfull music)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bANzo7UpdEY

Bob G
12 November 2007, 05:24 PM
Hello Shian,

Thank you for sharing the wonderful music links!

Om...283