PDA

View Full Version : Seeing God?

satay
13 September 2007, 11:07 AM
Namaskar,

Anyone seen the image of their ishtadevta in their dreams lately?

This thread is for us to share any mystical experiences and/or dreams we have had of God.

How does verify that its not just mind playing tricks...

Eastern Mind
13 September 2007, 03:19 PM
Personally, I have been taught that sacred is secret and secret is sacred. I believe mystical experiences are not to be shared except with your guru because the power of the experience is transferred in some way to your ego. Suffice it to say I've had some, or I wouldn't be a Hindu. Aum Namashivaya

Madhavan
18 September 2007, 02:25 AM
Namaskar,

Anyone seen the image of their ishtadevta in their dreams lately?

This thread is for us to share any mystical experiences and/or dreams we have had of God.

All mystical experiences are related to the rise of Kundalini Shakti from the mUlAdhAra. The first time one has it, there will usually be tremendous vibration of the entire body, and possibly unusual sensations in the body, mental peace and great joy. One has to experience it to know it.

Normally, the shakti is dormant in the mUlAdhAra. If it is awakened through progressive sAdhana in the form of rAja yoga, jnAna yoga, bhakti yoga, karma yoga or hata yoga, the result will be permanent. Once the Kundalini is awakened, it will usually be retained for longer periods. Therefore spiritual experiences are usually not had occasionally, but usually retained. There are other occasions when the shakti activates for a brief period due to the grace of Ishta devata ( all devatas can give spiritual experiences) for a specific purpose ~ like intervening to prevent a danger to the devotee or just because the devotee wished to behold the Lord.

The experiences of the awakening of Kundalini is subjective, and not objective. That is, to say, each person experiences it differently. It could take some of the forms like:-

1. A vision of the diety.
2. A message or instruction from the diety in some form, an inner voice.
3. A permanent/temporary shift of mental awareness into a higher realm like the heaven.
4. samAdhi experience.
5. Knowledge of past lives, ability to read mind of others and such mystical powers.

The 'mind playing tricks' is a phrase used by scientists who do not beleive in God or any supernatural entities. The vedantic fact is that the mind is capable of realizing its goal. If the mind so much wants a spiritual experience, it will have it no matter what the obstacles in the way are.

According to Advaita vedanta, these experiences are still to be classified as subjective truth experienced by the mind only, as the ultimate vision of God is that of the unchanging non dual Atman, which cannot be restricted to certain forms and names. Atman is sarva shabda vAchya, and at the same time avAcya too - beyond any verbal description.

sm78
18 September 2007, 02:37 AM

a trick will is a trick and no real tangible benefits will be evident ... a trick by very nature, is discovered sooner or later.

a real thing brings real result ... a real change. an experience which do not bring about a definite change in our world view, perception, mode of living and purpose of living should not be attached gr8 importance to. The immortal Guru's say that a real experience like "awakening of kundalini" or "soonya anubhuti" bring about instant change in the personality ~ the world is not the same anymore after such an experience. MHO.

A person with unbiased mind, good common sense and judgment can see through tricks ~ whether performed by tricksters by the roadside or by his own mind. No rocket science.

sm78
18 September 2007, 02:41 AM
Also a Sat-guru and the lore of the guru parampara has important role in determining the attainment of the sishya. It is true, truth will ultimately seen by the individual only ~ but there are road marks and guidance on the way.

This is another place where the new-age guru and the traditional guru will teach differently. The former having not traveled a specific path and not being sure of his own attainment will instinctively advocate individualism from the very outset ~ he hardly has other options.

Madhavan
18 September 2007, 02:45 AM
Personally, I have been taught that sacred is secret and secret is sacred. I believe mystical experiences are not to be shared except with your guru because the power of the experience is transferred in some way to your ego. Suffice it to say I've had some, or I wouldn't be a Hindu. Aum Namashivaya

A guru in all probability already knows about the experience you had through his divya dRSTi. So there is really nobody with whom the experience maybe shared.

Experiences should not be shared with sceptics, or those abuse or make fun of bhaktas and sAdhakas. It can be shared with friends and family because this will make them take religion more seriously.

Scripture, as such is something based only on faith and words of others, and hence only a hearsay. It is only one's experience that validates the claims of rishis whom we cannot meet now. The experience of beloved ones are hence even more convincing than the scripture...

Eastern Mind
18 September 2007, 08:16 PM
Madhavan: I thought your post was excellent and expanded on mine. Re: sharing with guru.. you're absolutely right.. he would already know, but the reason you would share with Guru is for further clarity, or meaning, or even to verify that it wasn't a trick. Besides all the unseen inner teachings going on, the Guru can add more for the devotee in a 'words' level to further impress or lead ones evolution.
Re: sharing with friends.. Yes, I concur again, in a sharing way, both yourself and your friend/family benefit, and gain confidence. What I really meant is just to be careful it is not an ego booster. The spiritual ego is a barrier for sure. I'm careful more so now than before when I was first getting into it. Back then in my first few years, I didn't even know that humility was a quality to be learned. Live and learn. It's been a real help to hang out with humble Hindus of the Eastern born variety, not the westerners. Aum Namashivaya

vcindiana
18 September 2007, 09:28 PM
Yes, I did see God.
Recently a colleague of mine became very sick. We were not that close to call friends. For a while I did not realize the seriousness of his sickness. I said to myself that he would get over this. It turned out he had to be admitted to a major hospital in a city about 40 miles from my place. Still it did not bother me. Now I had an excuse about the ?long distance to visit him, hmm.. after all he is not close to me.

It was a Friday evening I wanted to go out and enjoy a dinner with my wife. We decided to go to the City. At that moment never occurred to me that this sick person in a Hospital in that city. We did enjoy the dinner and coming out of the restaurant I noticed the hospital near by. My inner consciousness forced me to go and visit this sick man. We went to the Hospital, it was late in the night, and my selfish mind was telling me not to disturb him. When we reached the nurses station we saw his wife running towards us crying. She was sobbing, she was delighted to see us visiting them, and hardly any one visited them earlier. We became speechless and just hugged her. It was an indeed amazing time with outpouring emotions. Finally we did meet this sick man, now we call him a dear friend, held his hands, put our hands on his shoulders and tried to comfort him. I was blown away with this one simple act which was not planned at all. This is not science, some ideology or a philosophy; it is how I saw God in work through us. Only Love (God) heals.

Madhavan
19 September 2007, 12:34 AM
Madhavan: I thought your post was excellent and expanded on mine. Re: sharing with guru.. you're absolutely right.. he would already know, but the reason you would share with Guru is for further clarity, or meaning, or even to verify that it wasn't a trick. Besides all the unseen inner teachings going on, the Guru can add more for the devotee in a 'words' level to further impress or lead ones evolution.
Re: sharing with friends.. Yes, I concur again, in a sharing way, both yourself and your friend/family benefit, and gain confidence. What I really meant is just to be careful it is not an ego booster. The spiritual ego is a barrier for sure. I'm careful more so now than before when I was first getting into it. Back then in my first few years, I didn't even know that humility was a quality to be learned. Live and learn. It's been a real help to hang out with humble Hindus of the Eastern born variety, not the westerners. Aum Namashivaya

Yes, you are absolutely right! The moment you think you saw God(externally apart from your innerself), it reveals an ego which can be hinderance to the enhancement of the earlier experience. Having a guru is a real must to share these experiences with, for clarifications and also remain humble. In the company of a God realized guru you will always undervalue your own experiences and remain very humble, and strive to attain the perfection attained by the guru himself.

izi
06 November 2007, 01:04 PM
i started seeing the god in everyone - like right now, you're all god

I took a page from Akka Mahadevi:

"but can you peel
the Nothing, the Nakedness
that covers and veils?

To the shameless girl
wearing the White Jasmine Lord's
light of morning,
you fool,
where's the need for cover and jewel?"

then at the end of my life I will cease to exist, having fulfilled my purpose - I will be rendered back into the absolute with my unwanted parts cast back into nothingness....

--------------------

So, Ananta...

the first time I saw him in April.... he was sitting on my stairs as a huge, sparkling lime green viper. I was feeling an uncharacteristically potent arousal of my chakra and meridian system due to the mirrors listed here (http://www.abrahadabra.com/tableofcontents.htm).

I followed the serpent upstairs because I was hypnotized. I stood in front of my bed and stared at him trying to figure out why there was a sparkling green hoversnake in my room. (lol)

Then I decided to lay down after it was suggested to me. I felt a net of energy wrap around my whole body, and then a beam of glowing blue white energy starting pouring into my skull - it was the same feeling you would get if you had warm, delicious oil pouring onto your head - except - better feeling - and with more light. I felt all of this warmth descend over my face and into my body down to my feet.

Then I couldn't move....and I perceived the snake crawl into my skull and into my brain and after that I was too blissed out to even move.

Afterwards I spent most of my day trying to figure out what was happening but I didn't have time...it didn't slow down for about a month...lol

I will continue more later, in the morning....

izi
06 November 2007, 01:06 PM
Yes, you are absolutely right! The moment you think you saw God(externally apart from your innerself), it reveals an ego which can be hinderance to the enhancement of the earlier experience. Having a guru is a real must to share these experiences with, for clarifications and also remain humble. In the company of a God realized guru you will always undervalue your own experiences and remain very humble, and strive to attain the perfection attained by the guru himself.

I agree wholeheartedly a guru is very important, especially if you have no experience with such things. I wish I could find one....

sarabhanga
09 December 2007, 01:54 AM
anantAnanda

prashantkochar1
13 February 2008, 08:21 AM
Dreams are the pictorial form of our own thoughts. Our dreams depend on the type of thoughts that we have in our mind. Seeing God or ishtdevta in dreams is just a trick of the mind because god is an existence or you can say emptiness.
God is not the name of any shape or form. God is beyond the vision and words. Which can be seen with the eyes is not God.

jaya_narayana
24 August 2008, 06:48 PM
namaste,

i know this thread is way old but i thought i would add. i have had such a dream experience. i'm not comfortable sharing the details but it changed my life completely. i became vegetarian and i was converted out of buddhist atheism.

i think such experiences whether waking or dreaming have profound effects on individuals and shouldn't always be discounted as tricks of the mind.

Jai Sri Krishna!