PDA

View Full Version : KALARIPAYATTU : THE HINDU MARTIAL ARTS

yudhamanyu
16 September 2007, 12:08 PM
INDIANS ATTACKED

Eight Indians were injured in a possible racist attack by a mob of 50 germans during a street festival in eastern germany over the weekend, police said on Monday. Four assailants and two police officers were also injured in the incident , which took place in the town of Muegein.

http://www.hindu.com/2007/08/21/stor...2161131300.htm (http://www.hindu.com/2007/08/21/stories/2007082161131300.htm)

http://content.msn.co.in/News/Intern...00807_0945.htm (http://content.msn.co.in/News/International/InternationalDPA_200807_0945.htm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the time has come for all Hindu young men to study the Hindu martial art Kalaripayattu.

Kalaripayattu deals with both weapon training and unarmed combat.
A trained kalaripayattu warrior can withstand a mob singlehandedly with his urumi ( or flexible sword ) which he can conceal in his waist under his clothes. And this has been done many times.

In unarmed combat as well, he can take on a mob, and I believe that unarmed combat in kalaripayattu is more effective than karate or kungfu as it focusses more attention on the vital points of the body, attacking which can be lethal and can kill a man immediately.

Kalaripayattu is now very popular in Kerala and south India due to various superhit films on it, along with documentaries, books, magazines on kalaripayattu warriors and heroes, superb promotional work of the kalaripayattu masters, and also due to international attention.

Due to this, many Hindu youth are now training in kalaripayattu institutions in kerala and south India and studying carefully the martial arts of both armed and unarmed combat . Its popularity is increasing very fast in south India and many are enrolling in these kalaripayattu centres.

Jackie Chan is seen to be sparring with a kalaripayattu warrior, in a famous fight scene, in the film " The Myth. "

Some prominent kalaripayattu institutions have also evolved kalaripayattu with the times , and assimilated the best techniques of taekwondo, kung fu, judo and other styles,and complemented these new knowledge in the kalaripayattu combination techniques.

And this is a good sign, as every style or system should keep on evolving with the times in order to adapt to new circumstances.

It should be understood that Bodhidharma, the Indian monk from south India, who created the world famous Zen buddhism, also created the buddhist martial art Kungfu , according to the scriptures of the Shaolin temple.

yudhamanyu
16 September 2007, 12:08 PM
It will also be great if Hindu women also study Kalaripayattu. Unniyarcha, a female Kalaripayattu warrior from Kerala is famous for her exploits in the battlefield. She is famous for slaughtering a mob of ruffians who attacked her , with her weapons.

Unniyarcha, along with Rani of Jhansi , should be a role model for all hindu women, so that they can defend themselves successfully from ruffians like unniyarcha did.

I firmly believe that martial arts training among women will successfully decrease substantially the rape crimes,and all potential rapists can be pulverized by the women themselves, and can be handed to the police.

I think this will definetely help women a lot.

Kalaripayattu not only increases your selfdefence skills, it also imparts superb physical fitness, great mental strength, psychological hardiness and a superb character. It greatly increases your selfconfidence and selfesteem .

It also develops a spiritual streak in you as well.

Many young kalaripayattu practicioners have told about having developed a spiritual temperament and strong peace of mind and happiness , after training in kalaripayattu.

So you can see that kalaripayattu brings spiritual, mental, psychological and physical health and fitness,along with superb selfdefence skills.

Eastern Mind
16 September 2007, 09:43 PM
Just a couple of personal testimonies: My daughter has a black belt in karate, and her first instruction for being attacked is to run. It has helped her a lot with self-confidence, and not looking like a chicken. This wards off most would-be attackers. I think there is a danger in the martial arts when not used for self-defense only, and only certain people have that beginning self-control, although I understand when the 'self defense' part is very integral, self-control is gained. Just practising an art for long hours helps build self control. When my daughters karate Master has a new student whom he feels is just in it so he can be tougher, he dismisses them from his class.
It sounds like the situation in Germany was a racist act done by a mob acting like sheep who were also probably drunk. I think it best to let the police and the country's laws take up the issue rather than starting a big fight back. I think that would just escalate things, and a larger group of neo Nazi's would show up the next time. Just opinion, though. Aum Namashivaya

yudhamanyu
19 September 2007, 12:42 PM
Just a couple of personal testimonies: My daughter has a black belt in karate, and her first instruction for being attacked is to run.

Running is a good tactic, when you are facing a stronger opponent(s).

However when you are facing the wall, with no escape, better to fight back. Who knows ,you can forge an escape route in the process and escape.

It has helped her a lot with self-confidence, and not looking like a chicken.

Thats great. And this is why I believe that all women and girls should study the martial arts. It will do a lot to empower them, and the positive repurcussions of it can be amazing.

Empowered women can do a lot of good to the world.

This wards off most would-be attackers. I think there is a danger in the martial arts when not used for self-defense only, and only certain people have that beginning self-control, although I understand when the 'self defense' part is very integral, self-control is gained. Just practising an art for long hours helps build self control. When my daughters karate Master has a new student whom he feels is just in it so he can be tougher, he dismisses them from his class.

Yes, the onus on martial arts is also to build up the character, selfdiscipline and a proactive nature.

And there is great emphasis of these qualities in Kalaripayattu.

It sounds like the situation in Germany was a racist act done by a mob acting like sheep who were also probably drunk. I think it best to let the police and the country's laws take up the issue rather than starting a big fight back. I think that would just escalate things, and a larger group of neo Nazi's would show up the next time. Just opinion, though. Aum Namashivaya

I am not asking for a fightback or revenge.

Just that when a similar incident occurs the next time, none of us should be harmed, and the aggressors should become the victims next time onwards .

I am not talking about aggression on our side, only ideal selfdefence.

This will also make them think twice or thrice before attacking others as well.

Eastern Mind
19 September 2007, 05:48 PM
Yudhamanyu: I agree. A friend who lived in New York at the time told me that East Indians, especially Hindus, are 'easy targets' for muggers, as they don't fight back. So I believe you make a good point, especially for those of us who live in the places of the world where thugs are more commonplace. But muggings are odd. I have another friend who related this: He travelled via the New York Subway after work at a restaurant from about 1AM until 2Am for about 5 years, maybe more, and was never mugged. But on a peaceful Sunday afternoon on a stroll through a peaceful part of San Francisco, he was mugged. Hmmmm. I think there must be personal karmas involved. Aum Namshivaya

yudhamanyu
22 September 2007, 05:06 AM
Thank you for your observation on the relatively higher frequency of attacks on Indians and Hindus compared to other communities.

As Chanakya , Chandragupta Maurya's guru ( both of whom defeated the Greek forces in India under Alexander ) stated ,...

"If you want peace, be prepared for war. "

Problem with Hindus is that some of them are confused about the philosophical ideals of non-violence and strength, both of which are emphasized in Hinduism.

Some of these dudes then project non-violence in the face of attacks, mainly due to cowardice and impotence.

That is not what the scriptures teach. The scriptures enjoin on one to self-defence for the householder, while no defence and strict non-violence for the sannyasin or monk.

And if one still wants to be non-violent in the face of attack with respect to his spiritual ideals, then he should do it on the face of great strength and courage, not cowardice or impotence, both of which yield no spiritual merit whatsoever. ( as taught by Swami Vivekananda ).

This is what Gandhi did, but his teachings are misunderstood by a vast majority of people.