PDA

View Full Version : Are hindu scriptures mythology?

orlando
29 April 2006, 08:28 AM
Namaste all.
This questions is very important for me.
I noted that there are some things in the scriptures that can't be true:for example the story of eclipse because of Rahu,in Ramayana Ravana had 10 heads and he fought against one who had (if I am not wrong) 1000 arms.
I did read some things in the Rig-Veda.For example the story of Yama and Yami.The Yama of Rig-Veda and his infernal majesty Yamaraja of the puranas seem two different persons.I noted the same things about other devas like Indra and Varuna.
My question is:are the hindu scriptures mythology?
Regards,
Orlando.

Arjuna
29 April 2006, 01:08 PM
The form of Hindu or any scripture is definitely mythologic, and it contains exaggerations, inaccuracies and mistakes. But its essence is Shruti — Divine revelation, which is perfect and eternal.
Scriptures have to be seen through the teaching of Amnaya and with application of Sattarka, right logic.
In any case written knowledge (be it even Veda and Agama) is "lower knowledge" as Upanishads say. Higher knowledge can never be put into words.

Znanna
29 April 2006, 06:08 PM
Well, I can understand somewhat of these images ... for example a deity shown with many heads/faces represents an attribute of multiple aspects or points of view simultaneously, the way I see it :)

Perhaps that is too simple?

Namaste,
ZN

orlando
01 May 2006, 02:53 AM
Namaste.
Dear Znanna,please note that Ravan is not a deity.He was a demon!

Znanna
01 May 2006, 04:38 AM
Namaste.
Dear Znanna,please note that Ravan is not a deity.He was a demon!

Namaste,

Please consider instead the example, then, of Panchavaktra, if that is more pleasing to you.

Love,
ZN

Singhi Kaya
01 May 2006, 05:02 AM
Namaste all.
This questions is very important for me.
I noted that there are some things in the scriptures that can't be true:for example the story of eclipse because of Rahu,in Ramayana Ravana had 10 heads and he fought against one who had (if I am not wrong) 1000 arms.
I did read some things in the Rig-Veda.For example the story of Yama and Yami.The Yama of Rig-Veda and his infernal majesty Yamaraja of the puranas seem two different persons.I noted the same things about other devas like Indra and Varuna.
My question is:are the hindu scriptures mythology?
Regards,
Orlando.

Well depends on the scriptures, bulk of it are definitely written mythological language. Unlike other religions where mythology is taken literally as reality, hindu puranas are to be read in the context of the underlying teaching.

Itihasas - ramayana and mahabharta were surely based on real events in the continent though mythology is interwoven. At least I believe so. Places historically linked to Rama and Krishna is so much in scattered through out India~it would be immpossible to create such a culture just based on imagination. Many warrior clans in india trace their ancestory to krishna.

The philosophic texts are purely philosophy~and they form the intellectual foundation of our dharma. Absolutely no mythology there.

Singhi Kaya
01 May 2006, 05:08 AM
Well, I can understand somewhat of these images ... for example a deity shown with many heads/faces represents an attribute of multiple aspects or points of view simultaneously, the way I see it :)

Perhaps that is too simple?

Namaste,
ZN

Many heads of a demon may symbolize real face hidden behind multitude of false propaganda~a very common character of asurik.

Many heads of a Diety may symbolize more than one aspect of knowledge.

Under the exact context, it can be more clearly explained perhaves

ramkish42
01 May 2006, 01:50 PM
The form of Hindu or any scripture is definitely mythologic, and it contains exaggerations, inaccuracies and mistakes.
Definitely not. It is scripture by any means. Every things relates to a common point. To explain this there are some metaphors. If you see a scripture what one should be cautious off is late additions. There are no exaggerations, no inaccuracies and no mistakes. Dissect late additions.

Arjuna
02 May 2006, 08:31 AM
Definitely not. It is scripture by any means. Every things relates to a common point. To explain this there are some metaphors. If you see a scripture what one should be cautious off is late additions. There are no exaggerations, no inaccuracies and no mistakes. Dissect late additions.

So U believe in complete historical accuracy of all Itihasas and Puranas?
And U believe in no Hindu scriptures there are mistakes of any kind?

Possible, but very problematic view...

ramkish42
02 May 2006, 12:49 PM
It is our duty to bridge all the gaps furnished.

Once we start dispensing with texts, the same will follow for all texts. Let me say this here, my need of the time is bridge. Let us take a scientific fact and let us examine whether it is explicitly or implicitly furnished or not.

I had a debate with Canadian born Indian origin person, who ridiculed me when I said about Aryabhatta and his discovery on eclipse. He insisted on Rahu and Ketu eating sun and moon, and gave me choice of choosing either science or hindu scripture, but the very point is Rahu and Ketu are said to be Shadow planets, which verily corroborates the fact what is happening is because of shadow, hence I chose both. Yes we do have another set of story realted with Kurma avataara and Mohini regarding Rahu and Ketu, but that deals with athidevatas of the said planets and not with the process.

Once, there was a new member in our private offline discussion forum where in the member said, Ramanuja, the mathematic genius discovered Zero, and ridiculed that We Indians can discover Zero fast but only intelligence can discover Infinity. But when I quoted This is Infinity, that is infinity, from infinity infinity emanates, upon removing infinity from it, infinity remains - with all mathematical correctness attributed to it, he countered with an idea that I am trying to play a game with the texts. That is OK, indeed yes, for some one it refers to Atma, for some other it might refer to something else, but the point is we had missed it until someone tells us.

The only problem with mythology I can see is LATE ADDITIONS. As our religion is free and available for abundant ideas, many people try to insert their own stories as if it is in the text, I found surprisingly many people have doubts on such stories. Some say Ganapathi not married, Some say Ganapathi is married, when I say, there are 32 Ganapathis in toto which one you are referring to, I become a person trying to put in new ideas, where in I am just repeating what exists. Ganapathi is said to have 32 avataars.

There may be some problematic cases, but it is for us to investigate and solve the mystery. Just because there is problem there is no point in either disowning the text or questioning the authoritativeness or rejecting the entire scriptures in the name of mythology, for some one who is a non hindu will use the same parameters to reject the very Vedas themselves

Jai shree krishna