PDA

View Full Version : Superstition or valid custom

Eastern Mind
24 September 2007, 06:21 PM
As a western adoptive, I'm curious as to the smaller quainter customs of daily lifestyle practised, and what the reasons might be, or if its just a superstition, something people do for 'good luck' or whatever. I would welcome any comments. For example, there are mystical reasons for circumambulating to the right in a temple. (Has to do with the directions you want your chakras to spin) But sitting on the right or the left, men and women, and the side changes from North India to South India.. now that I've never figured out. Thanks for any discussion/ comments. Aum Namshivaya

Znanna
24 September 2007, 08:24 PM
Namaste,

I'm no cultural expert or nothing, but I'd say that ritualized behaviours tend to follow patterns which either are or become familiar in order.

If it serves a purpose in creating an amenable structure, cool.

JMNSHO

ZN

Eastern Mind
24 September 2007, 08:58 PM
Znanna : yes, the customs definitely follow a pattern. I find it fascinating how a Hindu guest at our temple here just knows what to do, even though he or she may be unfamiliar with this particular temple. They just come in and know, unless they are of a far different tradition (North vs. south) Like I alluded to before. The temple I go to is South Indian. Only the western whites who come to be interested or 'on an educational tour' seem lost, and definitely need a guide. As far as customs, they're probably all valid within the individual's mind of course. Here's another question. Why is silk considered so 'right' when it clearly violates ahimsa, the boiling of the silkworm to create. Hmmmm. Aum Namshivaya

devisarada
08 April 2008, 02:38 AM
Namaskar E M

I have often wondered the same thing about silk