PDA

View Full Version : Significance of Hanuman swallowing the sun?

Hiwaunis
27 September 2007, 10:23 AM
Om Shanti,
I was watching Vishnu puran yesterday, the episode where Hunuman swallowed the sun. What was the significance of swallowing the sun? I have an idea, but just not sure if I am right?

Also, please tell me why Lord Indra is depicted to be so mean?

Last question, are there other purans on dvd like this?

Namaste,
Hiwaunis

sm78
27 September 2007, 11:07 AM
Om Shanti,
I was watching Vishnu puran yesterday, the episode where Hunuman swallowed the sun. What was the significance of swallowing the sun? I have an idea, but just not sure if I am right?

Namaste,
Hiwaunis

Lord Indra in puranas is quite like Gods depicted in Buddhism, he is quite arrogant and indulgent, though essentially a good man.

In ramayana, hunaman jumps towards the sun thinking it as a ripe mango in the sky, doesn't actually sallow it. He saves the sun from being sallowed by the shadowy planet rahu.

However haven't thought much about the significance. To me it only depicts the amazing power and simplicity in the character of hanuman.

yajvan
27 September 2007, 12:34 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste ,
I do not have the answer to your question, and I think Singhi has added great value with his response. I do have a few ideas for your consideration.

Singhi suggests that Hanumanji saves the Sun from Rahu's act. This is a good angle to take. Hanumanji from a Jyotish perspective is Mars ( Mangal). Mars is friends with the Sun. From a Vaishnava point of view Sun is Ram (if Smarta or Shaiva , sun would be Siva).

It is interesting to note that the Sun is the Atmakaraka of all, the Atman, as is Ram and Siva, the Self of All, in us. So we are closely aligned with Surya.

Also the sign owned by Mars, Aries, exalts the Sun, Ram. This sign, Aries also houses the Nakshatra that Ketu owns (one of 3 nakshtras) and this Ketu is Ganapati. Ketu is the Mokshakaraka, the one for promoting liberation.

The Sun, Is most happy and exalted in the Sign of Aires, owned by Hanumanji and the Nakshatra of Ketu, owned by Ganapathi. Also note that Mars and Ketu also own the natural 8th house in the Bha Chakara, the Zodiac, of Scorpio. A natural Moksha house for liberation.

So the Sun, Atman, is exalted when liberated, in enlightenment, assisted by Hanumanji and Ganesha.

What qualities do we know of Hanumanji?

We know that He represents the mind - that is why the symbol of a monkey, as the mind swings from place to place, most active.
He is the son of Vayu, so must be related to prana and the subtle breath.
Like our mind , Hanumanji can expand and contract. The most expansive is Moksha , without bounds.
We know of Hanumanji and his bhaki to Sri Ram. Hanumanji is the most devoted.
For one with Mars as the Ishtadevata in Jyotish, following Hanumanji's approach of devotion, gets one to the goal, Ramarajya.
As Hanuman , we know him as without any doubt, firmness and resolute.
As Vayuputra (or son of Vayu) his significance to unite Sita with Ram (the energy and prakriti with the Atman) , and prana is connected to the mind, and controls it.
Control the breath we control the mind. Have the mind transcend, one merges Sita to Rama.
Just a few thoughts…I hope others add their POV.
Om Namo Hanumantaay Namah

pranams,

Arvind Sivaraman
28 September 2007, 02:35 AM
Om Shanti,

Namaste,
Hiwaunis

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Hiwaunis.

As soon as Hanuman was born he felt hungry and his mother could not satisfy him.Then he caught sight of the Sun and thinking it was a fruit he leapt after it.The Sun took flight but Hanuman chased him as far as Indra's heaven.Here however,Indra intervened and injured Hanuman's jaw with his thunderbolt.

yajvan
04 August 2013, 11:39 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

I do not have the answer to your question, and I think Singhi has added great value with his response. I do have a few ideas for your consideration.

Singhi suggests that Hanumanji saves the Sun from Rahu's act. This is a good angle to take. Hanumanji from a Jyotish perspective is Mars ( Mangal). Mars is friends with the Sun. From a Vaishnava point of view Sun is Ram (if Smarta or Shaiva , sun would be Siva).

It is interesting to note that the Sun is the Atmakaraka of all, the Atman, as is Ram and Siva, the Self of All, in us. So we are closely aligned with Surya.

Also the sign owned by Mars, Aries, exalts the Sun, Ram. This sign, Aries also houses the Nakshatra that Ketu owns (one of 3 nakshtras) and this Ketu is Ganapati. Ketu is the Mokshakaraka, the one for promoting liberation.

The Sun, Is most happy and exalted in the Sign of Aires, owned by Hanumanji and the Nakshatra of Ketu, owned by Ganapathi. Also note that Mars and Ketu also own the natural 8th house in the Bha Chakara, the Zodiac, of Scorpio. A natural Moksha house for liberation.

So the Sun, Atman, is exalted when liberated, in enlightenment, assisted by Hanumanji and Ganesha.

What qualities do we know of Hanumanji?

We know that He represents the mind - that is why the symbol of a monkey, as the mind swings from place to place, most active.
He is the son of Vayu, so must be related to prana and the subtle breath.
Like our mind , Hanumanji can expand and contract. The most expansive is Moksha , without bounds.
We know of Hanumanji and his bhaki to Sri Ram. Hanumanji is the most devoted.
For one with Mars as the Ishtadevata in Jyotish, following Hanumanji's approach of devotion, gets one to the goal, Ramarajya.
As Hanuman , we know him as without any doubt, firmness and resolute.
As Vayuputra (or son of Vayu) his significance to unite Sita with Ram (the energy and prakriti with the Atman) , and prana is connected to the mind, and controls it.
Control the breath we control the mind. Have the mind transcend, one merges Sita to Rama.Just a few thoughts…I hope others add their POV.
Om Namo Hanumantaay Namah

Can anyone offer why we see hanuman-ji (āñjaneya¹), rāmaḥ , sītā and lakṣmana always appearing together ? 'As if' a team ? And hanuman-ji most often seen to rāmaḥ's right side ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/99/Srisita_ram_laxman_hanuman_manor.JPG/330px-Srisita_ram_laxman_hanuman_manor.JPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Srisita_ram_laxman_hanuman_manor.JPG)

What are the wise trying to tell us (if anything) ?

iti śivaṁ

1. āñjaneya = son of añjanā or hanumat

Viraja
04 August 2013, 03:01 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

Can anyone offer why we see hanuman-ji (āñjaneya¹), rāmaḥ , sītā and lakṣmana always appearing together ? 'As if' a team ? And hanuman-ji most often seen to rāmaḥ's right side ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/99/Srisita_ram_laxman_hanuman_manor.JPG/330px-Srisita_ram_laxman_hanuman_manor.JPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Srisita_ram_laxman_hanuman_manor.JPG)

What are the wise trying to tell us (if anything) ?

iti śivaṁ

1. āñjaneya = son of añjanā or hanumat

Namaste Yajvan ji,

Simplistically put, Lakshmana represents Jeevatman, Sri Rama represents Paramatman, Ma Sita represents Maya and Hanuman represents Guru's grace. Since they go together as in a set, they are depicted together always.

jignyAsu
05 August 2013, 05:32 AM
Namaste. I will be out of here after adding the following verses from Valmiki Ramayana on the incident.

http://valmikiramayan.net/utf8/kish/sarga66/kishkindha_66_frame.htm

"Thereafter, when you were a boy you have see the just risen sun in the vast of forest, and deeming it to be a just ripen reddish fruit, and thinking it to be a best catch, you hopped up and flew towards sun on the sky... [4-66-21]

"Even on your flying up three hundred yojana-s, oh, brave monkey, and even when sun's radiation puffed and blown you down, you did not get into any anguish as were indefatigable... [4-66-22]

"Oh, mighty monkey, even on seeing you who are coming near the vault of heaven, Indra is captivated by anger and by his effulgence he catapulted his Thunderbolt at you... [4-66-23]

[Here AntarIksham is translated as "vault of heaven"]

"Then, your left cheekbone, zygomatic arch, is broken when you fell down on a highest mountaintop, from thereupon your name-phrase is indeed averred as Hanumaan... [4-66-24]

So, I guess the glorious Hanuman actually did not reach the sun but was stopped way before that.

yajvan
05 August 2013, 02:49 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

Namaste Yajvan ji,

Simplistically put, Lakshmana represents Jeevatman, Sri Rama represents Paramatman, Ma Sita represents Maya and Hanuman represents Guru's grace. Since they go together as in a set, they are depicted together always.
I have a slightly different view on this matter. Let me offer just a few items for consideration. This is not opposing views, but that of changing the optics just a bit.

The rāmāyaṇa (some spell rāmāyaṇam) occurs within each of us; not much different then the mahābhārata. This rāmāyaṇa means as most know the path (āyaṇa) to rāmaḥ ( or parā the Supreme). So, one can make the assumption with confidence this rāmāyaṇa is about 'me' unfolding (vyākṛta¹) to become or 'know' rāmaḥ. From this POV me offer a few ideas.

I agree śrī rāmaḥ is no doubt the Supreme (parā); I can see that sītā is ~maya~ , but from the perspective of being śakti. The beauty of Her comes from how she comes to be... via the earth tattva as her father janaka¹ tills the earth, she comes to be; she is ayoni-jā , 'not womb-born' .
This occurrence i.e. janaka, tilling, sītā's name, etc. helps better explain sītā, of which I will offer a bit latter.

Yet I do not see hanuman-ji (āñjaneya¹) as guru. Why so ? Due to being born of vāyu hence vāyuputra (or son of vāyu). If he were
guru then it seems to me others would come to him (rāmaḥ , sītā and lakṣmana) in reverence. It is my view that āñjaneya is positioned as
prāṇa - that life force so critical and mighty, above all, a key quality that helps 'me' the aspirant come closer to rāmaḥ.
It is this prāṇa that allows the heart to beat, the life-force to take place. It is via prāṇa that not only sustains me, but also quiets down the senses (rāvaṇa - as we are not quite done with this quality yet).

For lakṣmana-ji we have something quite interesting. Within lakṣmana-s name we can see lakṣa. This lakṣa means 'that which is attached or fixed' - it also means 'to fix the gaze'. Who is most dear to lakṣmana ? It is rāmaḥ no less.
But the ~quality~ that is being suggested is one-pointedness, some call concentration, others may call it dhāraṇā - the act of holding, maintaining, firmness. This dhāraṇā when purposely held becomes dhyāna - we know this as meditation.
This sets the stage for samādhi. This is the behavior of lakṣmana - with his attention/mind always on rāmaḥ.

When we make use of these 4 - rāmaḥ , sītā , lakṣmana & āñjaneya we find the way to parā ( the Supreme). This in my opinion is why the 4 are always shown together.

The fruition of the 4 comes parama-rasā, the taste of the Supreme, all 4 qualities maturing; some call it rām-rājya when the sovereignty (rājya) of th Supreme (rām) reins over the person; then the person is established in the Self.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0b/Hanuman_before_Rama.jpg/330px-Hanuman_before_Rama.jpg (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hanuman_before_Rama.jpg)

iti śivaṁ

words

āñjaneya son of mother añjanā
vyākṛta - unfolded; developed.
janaka - we know as 'king' but also is defined as generating , begetting , producing , causing . In this case we can see sītā becomes, or is awakened.
rāvaṇa - ruler of laṅkā ; chief of the rākṣasa-s

Viraja
05 August 2013, 04:41 PM
Yajvan ji,

That was a wonderful description. If I understand it right, it means, "If one, with focused and devoted mind (Lakshmana), utilizes his energy (Sita) in controlling one's prana (Hanuman), then one will surely realize Brahman (Rama)".

What a beautiful concept! Please correct me if I had been wrong.

Pranam.

yajvan
05 August 2013, 07:04 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

Yajvan ji,

That was a wonderful description. If I understand it right, it means, "If one, with focused and devoted mind (Lakshmana), utilizes his energy (Sita) in controlling one's prana (Hanuman), then one will surely realize Brahman (Rama)".
What a beautiful concept! Please correct me if I had been wrong.
Pranam.
You are on the right road.... The conversation needs to continue with the notion of sītā. There is no doubt ( for me) that She, sītā, is śakti.
Yet there is more to this. It is the notion of raising śakti. But from where? First we can consider the notion of kuṇḍalinī. It is non-different then śakti, just a different name with a whole science behind it.

śakti we know loves to play... look at our universe. All the diversity. She plays inside of us. Within the rāmāyaṇa who takes her away ? None other then the 10 headed rāvaṇa ( the senses: 5 sensing organs + 5 organs of action). Rāvaṇa was ( and some argue ) still is the ruler of laṅkā.
What is laṅkā ? Herein lies the wisdom. Laṅkā = below. Within this word we have 'kā' meaning desire , yearn. We also have 'lan' = to sport, enjoy sexually. We can see how this is shaping up for rāvaṇa ruler of laṅkā.
But there is one really good hint on how it gets to us as a human. Consider laṅkā = below, and laṁ. This laṁ is the bīja (seed) sound for the 1st cakra which is 'below'. What is this called ? Mulādhāra cakra. The tattva for this cakra is earth. What rises from this cakra ? It is kuṇḍalinī, none other then śakti. Who rose from the ~earth~ when plowed by janaka ? None other then sītā.
Who is brought back from laṅkā ? None other then sītā.

It is when lakṣmana and āñjaneya are in concert, kuṇḍalinī ( sītā ) rises to once again from the earth (mulādhāra cakara) to be united with rāmaḥ . It is when prāṇayam (breath management) + dhāraṇā + dhyāna are practiced properly one is deposited into samādhi. This in time stabilizes within us, and we establish rām-rājya within our own self. What happens to rāvaṇa ? He no longer has a place at the table.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bf/Ravana.jpg/255px-Ravana.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ravana.jpg)

iti śivaṁ

Viraja
06 August 2013, 09:04 AM
Thank you for a wonderul description, Yajvan Ji!

It is wonderful to think of Lanka as akin to that of 'Kundalini', ma Sita devi as being the Kundalini Shakti being born out of earth, and that of 'Ravana', the sense organs robbing Shakti of her power to manifest within ourselves! How beautiful!