PDA

View Full Version : Prana control in order to obtain siddhis

orlando
01 May 2006, 03:43 PM
Namaste all.
For much time I tried to obtain prana control in order to obtain siddhis (supernatural powers)
About an half hour ago I did many times the following pranayama:20-10-40 (seconds)
Then I did one time 40-20-80
I did even 80-40-160
I'd like to have advice about how to finally obtain prana control.
I am almost sure that someone will tell me that pranayama may be very dangerous and should be done only under a proper guidance.I already know that some yogis died during pranayama.
If I have to meet death...let it be so.I will always try to increase pranayama.
So please if someone cans give me good advice how to obtain prana control,I will thank him/her very much!
Please read verses from 49 to 53 and the commentary at http://www.yoga-age.com/sutras/pata2.html

Regards,
Orlando.

Singhi Kaya
02 May 2006, 02:58 PM
Namste Orlando,

Regarding Siddhis~it is said it comes with practice of yoga naturally. I haven't heard that by sudden vigorous practice of pranayama one attains siddhi. Quite contrary one may have to attend a hospital in the long run.

I would advice not to practice yogic pranayama just reading a commnetry from a site. Also don't practice any yoga for siddhis~siddhis come at a much much later stage, if at all they come.

I'm not a yogi (hatha yoga or astanga yoga practitioner)~but I have heard, read and listened about too many warninga against practcing prayama by oneself. One can go upto asana, but never yogic pranayam. I can see your mAtrA is wrong, generally yogic pranayama is performed in the ratio of 1-4-2~that's what I knew. Please consult a teacher on this. May be someone in this site can help you, but wait for advice.

However one may practice pranayama without kumbhak or vedic pranayama which is done in same ratio (1-1-1) with dhyana, alone without teacher~not for siddhi but to balance the tattvas in body and mind.

orlando
02 May 2006, 05:10 PM
Namaste Shri Singhi Kaya.
I already know that by practice of pranayama one doesn't obtain siddhis.One obtains siddhis by samadhi.And I can't obtain samadhi without first obtain prana control.
Thanks for your reply.
Regards,
Orlando.

Ram
03 May 2006, 05:43 AM
The importance of pranayama has been considerably stressed in Hindu scripture, and is the way to go about controlling the senses. I am sure some siddhis are obtained even at the early stages. Because siddhis at an advanced stage is rarely likely to distract the Yogi. A number of Yogis fall prey to siddhis, which must necessarily be obtainable without being very advanced. I am 100% sure, siddhis precede any God experience, because after God experience there cant be any distractions, siddhis or not!

orlando
03 May 2006, 08:02 AM
I did read in commentary to Bhagavad-gita that prana-control can give "some" siddhis.

vedic_kings
03 May 2006, 07:44 PM
Namaste all.
For much time I tried to obtain prana control in order to obtain siddhis (supernatural powers)
About an half hour ago I did many times the following pranayama:20-10-40 (seconds)
Then I did one time 40-20-80
I did even 80-40-160
I'd like to have advice about how to finally obtain prana control.
I am almost sure that someone will tell me that pranayama may be very dangerous and should be done only under a proper guidance.I already know that some yogis died during pranayama.
If I have to meet death...let it be so.I will always try to increase pranayama.
So please if someone cans give me good advice how to obtain prana control,I will thank him/her very much!
Please read verses from 49 to 53 and the commentary at http://www.yoga-age.com/sutras/pata2.html

Regards,
Orlando.

Hi Bhakta of God:)

One thing to keep in mind, Pranayama is a link between body and mind. First you must master Asana or Yoga postures. The reason being is because the body is the roots for prana to grow. Without a strong body (Ojas) Pranayama cannot go far. Asanas in time you will be able to fill the lungs to there fullest!

If I were you I would get a good book on pranayama. Check out Light on Pranayama by B.K.S. Iyengar.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824506863/sr=8-1/qid=1146702873/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3400310-0719963?%5Fencoding=UTF8

(http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/light%20on%20pranayama)

anewa
03 May 2006, 08:20 PM
namasta vedickings, i like the way you explained the relationship between the asanas and prana. thank-you anewa:)

Znanna
18 June 2006, 05:27 PM
The breath is both internal and external, it flows; when it flows in all directions at the same time, a unique balance which makes the notion of "I" inconsequential can result.

Many drummers and some horn players practice what is commonly called "circular breathing", which involves inhaling and exhaling at the same time. This is analogous to some yoga practices, it can be dangerous, but I reckon those who died of it, died happy :)

In my opinion, siddhis are not obtained per se, rather they are a by-product of meditational practice. Practice makes perfect, and it's fun, too!

Namaste,
ZN

Just a girl :p

Arjuna
19 June 2006, 01:59 AM
Interesting enough, in the earliest Upanishadic texts Prana is the name for Brahman (from myself i would add, for a Brahman as Spanda, Activity). This is confirmed by Brahma-sutra.
This ultimate Prana none can control, as it is impossible to control Shakti, the creative side of the Absolute Godhead.
Prana is same as Kundalini, who also certainly cannot be controlled and mechanically "awakened."

But in a course of time sublime concepts get profaned. "Prana control in order to obtain siddhis" is nothing but an examply of such tendency.

In Patanjali's ashtanga pranayama comes (as well as asana) only as a prerequisite for dhyana, meditaton. This yoga never had a body-circus developed by later teachers such as B.K.S. Iyengar and alike.
The sourse of variety of techniques (together with an idea of achieving siddhis) was so called hath-yoga, which was a by-product of Natha religion. It was developed not before 12 century c.e., and consequently was more and more elaborated. In this process most of inner and esoteric practices of Nathas were forgotten. And even the basic doctrine shifted from samyoga to viyoga!
Modern teachers of so called yoga mix elements of these two systems with their own inventions and developments. Perhaps the main line in their teaching is commercial one, and second to it — ayurvedic (thus, yoga as such is out of range).

Sudarshan
26 June 2006, 09:36 AM
Interesting enough, in the earliest Upanishadic texts Prana is the name for Brahman (from myself i would add, for a Brahman as Spanda, Activity). This is confirmed by Brahma-sutra.
This ultimate Prana none can control, as it is impossible to control Shakti, the creative side of the Absolute Godhead.
Prana is same as Kundalini, who also certainly cannot be controlled and mechanically "awakened."

But in a course of time sublime concepts get profaned. "Prana control in order to obtain siddhis" is nothing but an examply of such tendency.

In Patanjali's ashtanga pranayama comes (as well as asana) only as a prerequisite for dhyana, meditaton. This yoga never had a body-circus developed by later teachers such as B.K.S. Iyengar and alike.
The sourse of variety of techniques (together with an idea of achieving siddhis) was so called hath-yoga, which was a by-product of Natha religion. It was developed not before 12 century c.e., and consequently was more and more elaborated. In this process most of inner and esoteric practices of Nathas were forgotten. And even the basic doctrine shifted from samyoga to viyoga!
Modern teachers of so called yoga mix elements of these two systems with their own inventions and developments. Perhaps the main line in their teaching is commercial one, and second to it — ayurvedic (thus, yoga as such is out of range).

What is B.K.S Iyengar's basic philosophy? The name is suggestive of being a Srivaishnavite, and I am wondering what the final goal of his Yoga is. Patanjali's Yoga is dualistic per se, while those of Shakta and Shaiva systems are advaitic. The six limbed Yoga followed by Srivaishnavites of the past, was Vishishtadvaitic and Vaishnavaite in scope.

Singhi Kaya
26 June 2006, 10:13 AM
What is B.K.S Iyengar's basic philosophy? The name is suggestive of being a Srivaishnavite, and I am wondering what the final goal of his Yoga is. Patanjali's Yoga is dualistic per se, while those of Shakta and Shaiva systems are advaitic. The six limbed Yoga followed by Srivaishnavites of the past, was Vishishtadvaitic and Vaishnavaite in scope.

I have read most of Mr Iyengar's books. I don't think he markets himself as a spiritual teacher or a representative of hinduism. He is just a teacher of asana and pranayama and the way he deals with them is like we deal with physical exercises. Sure in introductions he try to be phlosophical at times but I haven't seen any pretence in his writing. He is a sri vaishnava, but that is his personal matter ~ he is not a teacher of any philosophy. Maybe if he used the word yoga less in what he taught it would have been better.

He did write a treatise on patanjali sutras at a later stage ~ but that is hardly the work he is known for.