PDA

View Full Version : Northern India: The I.E. Homeland?

Achanda
04 October 2007, 12:16 PM
I'm now reading "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Hinduism" by Linda Johnsen. In chapter two she makes a case for the Indo-European homeland being in Northern India, with all other I.E. people originating there.

According to some Hindu researchers, tribes the Veda calls the Prithus, Parsus, Druhyus, and Alinas may be the Parthians, Persians, Druids, and Hellenes (the Greeks). The Veda says all these groups lived in India at one time. It also explains that many communities migrated out of India. Might northern India be the original homeland of the Indo-European peoples?

It will take years to sort out the complex historical issues involved here. For now, no one knows for sure. Still, it's intriguing to think there's a slim possibility that the fascination some Westerners feel for Hindu religion may be an unconscious attraction toward their own spiritual homeland.This is an interesting theory. Earlier in the chapter she mentions the similarities between Hindu and Norse mythology: Indra=Thor, Asura=Æsir, the world tree, etc.

Those of us of European descent for the most part junked our old gods when Christianity came to town. The Hindus never got on board with Christianity. They're still worshipping our old gods.What to you think about this? Are the similarities exaggerated? Or is it possible that European people and mythology could have both originated in India?

SHIVAJI
04 October 2007, 12:25 PM
Its complete nonsense.

The vedas are monistic, monotheistic, polytheistic and henotheistic.

The norse, greek or roman mythology do not at all have the depth , subtlety and range of Hindu philosophy .

Nuno Matos
04 October 2007, 12:40 PM
Namaste Achanda

"According to some Hindu researchers, tribes the Veda calls the Prithus, Parsus, Druhyus, and Alinas may be the Parthians, Persians, Druids, and Hellenes (the Greeks). The Veda says all these groups lived in India at one time. It also explains that many communities migrated out of India. Might northern India be the original homeland of the Indo-European peoples?"

The genetics as the archaeological evidences indicate the contrary.I have my doubts never the less nothing is really proved.

P.s. this subject has been highly discussed by the members on this forum. I suggest the reading of all previous post on this matter here on HDF.

Achanda
04 October 2007, 12:47 PM
P.s. this subject has been highly discussed by the members on this forum. I suggest the reading of all previous post on this matter here on HDF.

My apologies. I just now noticed this (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=297) thread in the History of Bharata section.

Nuno Matos
04 October 2007, 12:53 PM
Namaste Shivaji

Yes indeed Hinduism has we know today is a very rich and complex religion.
But i think it is an abuse to say that the other old folk traditions lake that richness. The Fact is that almost was lost with the passing of time.
Due to the reconstruction's efforts made by some it is possible today to affirm that the old folk religions should be like Hinduism in manners of richness and complexity.
By the way i like your Name here on HDF. Great man it was Shivaji.

Kaos
04 October 2007, 01:05 PM
What to you think about this? Are the similarities exaggerated? Or is it possible that European people and mythology could have both originated in India?

Northern India is believed to have been the homeland of the Aryans.
One branch went west, while another branch moved south.

Madhavan
04 October 2007, 03:38 PM
Its complete nonsense.

The vedas are monistic, monotheistic, polytheistic and henotheistic.

The norse, greek or roman mythology do not at all have the depth , subtlety and range of Hindu philosophy .

Namaste - how do you find vedas polytheistic? The entire vedic literature is centred on one unified reality named Brahman. If you think there are names of many dieties mentioned, all these names primarily refer to Brahman only. Remember - ekam sat vipra bahudha vadanti

Kaos
04 October 2007, 04:17 PM
It is possible to be monotheistic and polytheistic at the same time.
For the same reason that something can be considered "simple" and yet complex at the same time, and vice versa.