PDA

View Full Version : Why is Saneeswaran's eye blindfolded?

rajakohila
06 October 2007, 04:48 AM
Hi learned friends,

In this month of Prodtasi, i have a doubt i wanted to know for some time already.....

Why is Saneeswaran's eye blindfolded?

And why or how did he get the title Eswaran? As i know the title Eswaran is only given to Lord Shiva...

Thanx for clearing my humble doubts...

Raja Kohila Siva Ganesa Moorthy

Eastern Mind
06 October 2007, 01:15 PM
That's not the saint that gave his eye to Siva, is it? If it is, then that would explain it. I'll ask some Tamil people here for you. Probably get some answer maybe even two or 3 variations depending on who you ask. (the usual) Aum Namshivaya

Agnideva
06 October 2007, 06:29 PM
Vanakkam Raja,

In this month of Prodtasi, i have a doubt i wanted to know for some time already.....
Why is Saneeswaran's eye blindfolded?
You are talking of Shani (Sani) the Deva of the planet saturn, yes? I am not sure about the blindfold, but I remember once hearing something about how Sani cannot influence people as much in the month of Purattasi. Sani is otherwise seen as a negative influence. Saturdays (Saturn's day) in the month of Purattasi (Kanyā Māsa) are supposed to be holy because Sani affects people the least. This is all particular to Tamil tradition, I think. I hope EM's research will bring us a fuller answer.

And why or how did he get the title Eswaran? As i know the title Eswaran is only given to Lord Shiva...Isvaran or Ishvara means Lord (or Ruler). Just like in English, we can use the term Lord in a general sense to mean God, or as a title like Lord Ganesha, so also with the word Ishvara. In Saiva Samayam (Saivism), if one says Isvaran or Ishvara, it refers specifically to Shiva. Otherwise, it can be used as a title for any Deva or Mahadeva like Saneeshvara or Ganeshvara, etc.

Aum Namah Shivaya,
A.

rajakohila
07 October 2007, 12:24 PM
Vanakkam Raja,

You are talking of Shani (Sani) the Deva of the planet saturn, yes? I am not sure about the blindfold, but I remember once hearing something about how Sani cannot influence people as much in the month of Purattasi. Sani is otherwise seen as a negative influence. Saturdays (Saturn's day) in the month of Purattasi (Kanyā Māsa) are supposed to be holy because Sani affects people the least. This is all particular to Tamil tradition, I think. I hope EM's research will bring us a fuller answer.

Isvaran or Ishvara means Lord (or Ruler). Just like in English, we can use the term Lord in a general sense to mean God, or as a title like Lord Ganesha, so also with the word Ishvara. In Saiva Samayam (Saivism), if one says Isvaran or Ishvara, it refers specifically to Shiva. Otherwise, it can be used as a title for any Deva or Mahadeva like Saneeshvara or Ganeshvara, etc.

Aum Namah Shivaya,
A.

Yes i am talking about Shani (Sani) the Deva of the planet saturn...thanx for the info Agnideva...after seeing this forum...i told myself, i'm gonna enlighten myse;f with the knowledge and info and purpose of the actions we carry out daily in respect to our religion. I think it would be a good beginning for...i would want to be like the blind following the blind...

And thank you so much on elaborating the meaning of the word Ishwara and thus enabling me to comprehend it...now i understand that "Saneeswara " means the ruler of Saturn or Lord of Saturn.....

Iam looking forward for the reply from our friend EM....hope it shed'd more light to my doubts if there are anything else behind the name Saneeshwara...

Thank you.

Aum

yajvan
07 October 2007, 03:01 PM
Yes i am talking about Shani (Sani) the Deva of the planet saturn...Aum

Namaste rajakohila,
If you have interest in Sani there are some posts you may wish to consider:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1700

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1702

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1707

The HDF posts above discusses Sani recent sankrati (transit) into Leo.
Perhaps you may find them of use.

Sani has been 'cornered' as a negative graha, or malefic, due to his tendency of a disciplinary nature to restrict, deny or curtail ones actions. We as humans enjoy our freedom and Sani's constraints are viewed negatively.

yet he does much good:

A Mokshakaraka graha
Discipline and focus
Leadership ability
humility, honestly ( that of Yama)
karaka of longivity
Logic
शनि śani - slow moving. Due to Sani's time to make a trip around the sun ~ 29.5 years... and he walks with a limp.

just thought to balance the conversation out a bit....
hope it helps.

pranams,

Eastern Mind
07 October 2007, 05:56 PM
Rajakohila: I was just at out temple landscaping, and an elderly Tamil woman was there, (they were shining brass for the upcoming Navaratri festival, so were approachable) as well as the temple brahmin, whom I know well. I asked them of your question regarding Saturn. Neither of them had even heard of it. They are from Sri Lanka, and usually I get good answers from either the elders or the Iyer. Unfortunately, not this time. Perhaps it is a local custom unique to your area. Perhaps not. Sorry I couldn't help. When the opportunity arises, I'll ask a couple more people. In the meantime, I'm curious as to where you heard it, and in which temple or picture you saw it. You could try asking the temple priest there, or try to find the originator of the picture. The last time I had a question, it was about the priest standing on the left side when he does the aarti to Bhairava, as for all the other deities in our temple, he stands on the other side. The answer was one of direction. He said the priest always has to face north, or west. South is inauspicious. I'm always fascinated by such details. Aum Namasivaya

Baobobtree
08 October 2007, 08:42 AM
Namaste Rajakholia.

There's an old regional variation of how Ganesha got his elephant head, which seems to explain this practice. Unlike the standard version of the tale where Ganesha's head is cut off by Shiva's trident, in this version Parvati asks Shani (her brother) to come look at her new born son (Ganesha). Once Shani looks at Ganesha his fiery gaze causes Ganesha's head to explode in a barrage of flames. So, I'm guessing this practice is to stop Shani's fiery gaze from falling upon people, and giving them bad luck like it did to Ganesha.

rajakohila
08 October 2007, 10:49 AM
Namaste Rajakholia.

There's an old regional variation of how Ganesha got his elephant head, which seems to explain this practice. Unlike the standard version of the tale where Ganesha's head is cut off by Shiva's trident, in this version Parvati asks Shani (her brother) to come look at her new born son (Ganesha). Once Shani looks at Ganesha his fiery gaze causes Ganesha's head to explode in a barrage of flames. So, I'm guessing this practice is to stop Shani's fiery gaze from falling upon people, and giving them bad luck like it did to Ganesha.

Thanx for the explanation Baobobtree...:)

In fact i got the same explanation today from the priest in the temple here today.....

Thanx so much to u guyz for trying to answer my doubts...

thanx again

rajakohila

aum

Eastern Mind
08 October 2007, 01:32 PM
Rajakohila: Glad you got your answer! Now I know more too. Now I feel like I actually know something more than the Tamils here ... which would be a first. Hope my ego can handle it. Thanks too to Baobobtree. Aum Namasivaya