PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Retrograde

Znanna
11 October 2007, 09:56 PM
Namaste,

I don't know from Jyotish, but thought to mention that Mercury retrograde from now till Nov. 1 could be helpful...

This is a time to refrain from new contractual relationships, and to expect communications and correspondances to be confused or delayed.

In other words, don't get married or sign nothing until after Nov. 1....and expect travel delays and such.

ZN
/just saying

atanu
12 October 2007, 01:20 AM
Namaste,

I don't know from Jyotish, but thought to mention that Mercury retrograde from now till Nov. 1 could be helpful...

This is a time to refrain from new contractual relationships, and to expect communications and correspondances to be confused or delayed.

In other words, don't get married or sign nothing until after Nov. 1....and expect travel delays and such.

ZN
/just saying

Namaste ZN,

Thanks for the alert. I have Mercury retrograde in the birth chart. Will I have life-long confused communications?

Thanks

Om

suresh
12 October 2007, 07:04 AM
Namaste ZN,

Thanks for the alert. I have Mercury retrograde in the birth chart. Will I have life-long confused communications?

Thanks

Om

Namaste Atanu,

Retrograde is actually good, it makes the planet stronger. Even a debilitated planet acts like an exalted one, if retro.

Suresh

yajvan
12 October 2007, 08:45 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,

Regarding retrograde...

A few things one must consider if a graha ( that which binds or holds) is retrograde,the apparent movement backwords in its path.

The Jyotishi has to determine is it shubha ( beneficial) or pappa (malefic) in nature. Just because a graha is going backwards does not indicate it is pappa or shubha.

If Buddha was pappa or shubha, what would it influence? What does Buddha signify ( karaka): Speech, reading, intellect, writing and its transmission thereof, friendships, the link between two two parties or personalities, things that are green. And if ones atmakarama - truth in speech in this life.

There are some schools of Jyotish which consider a retrograde graha's ability to be positive or negative is enhanced due to this retrograde point. And there are opinions on what the graha offers when it is perfectly still, neither forward or backward . That is:

Benefits become more powerful
If Malefic , then its negative power become enhanced
Yet these are modified based upon the following:
Mercury's condition
Is Mercury in an exalted, debilitated or moolatrikona postion when retrograde? Not in this case, yet when Mercury finishes its backward march, it will be in Virgo, exalted, and in its own rasi or bhava. Hence it is marching to exaltation.

Is Mercury in a friends sign ? Yes, Venus and Mercury are considered friends. Then one can decide the influence of the retrograde planet on the native.

If a planet is retrograde it is similar to when it is in exaltation. If a planet is conjoined with another, then the adjoining planet's power/influence is reduced. And if the planet is in its exaltation sign, its as if it is residing in debilitation. The opposite is also true - if in a debilitated sign, then it acts as if exalted.

So one needs to consider Mercury …it is a natural benefic? And for ones Janma Kuundali, is it a benefic? Perhaps it owns the 9th house, a nice benefic, or perhaps it owns the 6th or 8th house? Then malefic.

One principle that I find of great interest is that of being combust (that is, too close to the sun) and its magnificent power as a sattvic planet - some see the sun as too hot for sattva, yet its qualities is sattvic when considering dharma and spiritual matters. In this case, according to Ptolemy , that a graha that is combust transfers/impregnates the sun (surya) with its influence ( either pappa or shubha). Now this would be more of a Western view of this position, but offer it for your consideration.

So, how close is Mercury to Sun to be considered combust? Within 14° when direct and 12° when retrograde. Is this condition met today? Mercury is retrograde at 15° Libra and the Sun is at 25° ( 25°-15° = 10°). Hence the retrograde of Mercury starts off combust and in a weak position to do good or harm, to start.

Who is the dispostor? In this case, Venus , as Buddha is retrograde in Libra, owned by Sukra (the pure, owner of fluids, ojas, etc) - Where is Venus, and what is it doing? One must consider this. Are the aspects that are in effect while the retro planet is in that house - either rasi dristi or graha dristi? One must also consider this.

Once one considers some of the items above, then by Jyotish principles , or stare decisis [ principle of following precedents in deciding a condition ] We then can make a call on its beneficial or negative influences.

This knowledge is from Sarvali, Uttarakalamrita, Pundit Gopish Ojha, and the tradition.

pranams

suresh
12 October 2007, 10:50 AM
Just a general thought on retro planets.

I've also heard that retro indicates 'unfinished business' from the previous life, so if a person has retro mercury, his intellectual work hasn't been complete in his previous life, explaining the reason for rebirth.

I find this hard to accept, because normally a person has more than one retro planet, and suppose they happen to be mars and jupiter, do we consider spirituality as the cause of rebirth (due to Ju), or is it the fiery mars, diametrically diff. from Ju, responsible for this? As one can see, we'll run into such contradictions, pulling in totally opposite directions.

Suresh

yajvan
12 October 2007, 11:36 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Just a general thought on retro planets.

I've also heard that retro indicates 'unfinished business' from the previous life, so if a person has retro mercury, his intellectual work hasn't been complete in his previous life, explaining the reason for rebirth.

I find this hard to accept, because normally a person has more than one retro planet, and suppose they happen to be mars and jupiter, do we consider spirituality as the cause of rebirth (due to Ju), or is it the fiery mars, diametrically diff. from Ju, responsible for this? As one can see, we'll run into such contradictions, pulling in totally opposite directions.

Suresh

Unfinished business is not for all retro graha... consider saturn for this unfinished business. That of Yama. For retrograde mercury, please consider the list I have offered above.

pranams,

yajvan
02 November 2007, 02:23 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaste,
As of 1 of the Nov at ~ 3 PM Pacific 5 PM Central 6 PM Eastern time USA, 10 PM GMT, Mercury (budha)is now direct.

Anyone notice any thing? Any thing change for you from an intellectual or communications perspective or karaka's shown below? Anything new happen with regarding to the North direction ( Budha owns North).

What are Mercury's karaka's ( or signification)

intelligence
education
speech
confidence
communication
writing and drawing
books papers and publishing
mind,intellect
humor and wit
astrology and math
nervous system
lungs, intestines
Wednesday's
green emeraldMy atmakaraka is Budha - not much happens without Budha's intervention.
My posts on HDF are influenced by Budha (as shown in the karaka list) as is jyotish.
I have been in Mercury's Dasa period since 1992 and ends in 2009 - this is using the Ashtotari Dasa system which applies to my chart. Ashtotari life span is 108 years vs. Vimshottri's 120 years.
If any of the jyotisha's are interested to see how Ashtottari rules apply let me know and we can post and discuss...a very simple calculation.

Mercury/Budha is considered Visnu...

Om Narayanaya Vidmahe
Vasudevaya Dhimahi
Tanno Vishnuh Prachodayat

pranams,

satay
05 November 2007, 12:13 AM
Namaskar!

Anyone notice any thing?pranams,

Yes, I definitely 'noticed' that I almost lost my wife! I

t all started at around 6.15 local time for me...weekend of hell...yet somehow rudra showered his grace yet again! Why I deserved this grace not sure...

Next parts of the story not for public viewing. :)

sarabhanga
05 November 2007, 05:04 AM
Namaste Satay,

I trust that matters are improved.

It sometimes seems that life really is like walking on snakes. ;)

OM namaH shivAya

yajvan
05 November 2007, 11:15 AM
Hari Om
~~~~~

Namaskar!

Yes, I definitely 'noticed' that I almost lost my wife! It all started at around 6.15 local time for me...weekend of hell...yet somehow rudra showered his grace yet again! Why I deserved this grace not sure...

Next parts of the story not for public viewing. :)

Namaste Satay,

It is good to know that mercury has now moved to a new rasi...Mercury now is in Libra.

Only with your permission will any comments be made about your experience with your lovely wife, as this is personal infomation.

It is good to know that Rudra brought His blessings....

Om Tryambakam Yajamahe Sugandhim Pushtivardhanam
Urvarukamiva Bandhanam Mrityor Mukshiya Mamritat

pranams,